Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2023, 05:11 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default onan 2800 low load

Is it a problem to run an Onan 2800 Microlite with a low load? If so, how many watts is considered a low load? How often can it be run with a low load before causing a problem?
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 08:58 PM   #2

I think my manual says to run generator once a month for an hour so I don't thinks its a problem.
jwd673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 09:12 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd673 View Post
I think my manual says to run generator once a month for an hour so I don't thinks its a problem.
Yes, the manual does does say that, but it says to run it under load:

"To prevent harmful moisture accumulation and fuel deposits, run the genset at 50 percent capacity (1,400 watts) for two hours every four weeks."
Old 07-26-2023, 09:58 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
Yes, the manual does does say that, but it says to run it under load:

"To prevent harmful moisture accumulation and fuel deposits, run the genset at 50 percent capacity (1,400 watts) for two hours every four weeks."

When you are running at very low loads, the engine will be running at least somewhat on the idle circuit fuel delivery passages, which are very small and the ones that are most likely to gum up from stale gas/lack of use. Symptoms would be the same as those same issues at no load such as surging and backfiring.

If it runs well at idle and responds to loads going on without dying or backfiring, it will probably also run well at low loads.

If it does surge, etc you could run some seafoam through it to clean the passages and possibly turn the altitude knob to a lower altitude to see if that helps.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If it runs well at idle and responds to loads going on without dying or backfiring, it will probably also run well at low loads.
It runs well at idle and responds well to loads going on, and I exercise it once a month with a high load like the manual says. But what I am wondering is, if I also run it every couple of days for an hour at low load just to charge up the battery, will I do any harm?
Old 07-27-2023, 12:03 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
It runs well at idle and responds well to loads going on, and I exercise it once a month with a high load like the manual says. But what I am wondering is, if I also run it every couple of days for an hour at low load just to charge up the battery, will I do any harm?

I don't think you will have any issues at all, lots of people charge for hours at a time with the Onans.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote