Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2023, 05:11 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default onan 2800 low load

Is it a problem to run an Onan 2800 Microlite with a low load? If so, how many watts is considered a low load? How often can it be run with a low load before causing a problem?
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 08:58 PM   #2

I think my manual says to run generator once a month for an hour so I don't thinks its a problem.
jwd673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 09:12 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd673 View Post
I think my manual says to run generator once a month for an hour so I don't thinks its a problem.
Yes, the manual does does say that, but it says to run it under load:

"To prevent harmful moisture accumulation and fuel deposits, run the genset at 50 percent capacity (1,400 watts) for two hours every four weeks."
Old 07-26-2023, 09:58 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
Yes, the manual does does say that, but it says to run it under load:

"To prevent harmful moisture accumulation and fuel deposits, run the genset at 50 percent capacity (1,400 watts) for two hours every four weeks."

When you are running at very low loads, the engine will be running at least somewhat on the idle circuit fuel delivery passages, which are very small and the ones that are most likely to gum up from stale gas/lack of use. Symptoms would be the same as those same issues at no load such as surging and backfiring.

If it runs well at idle and responds to loads going on without dying or backfiring, it will probably also run well at low loads.

If it does surge, etc you could run some seafoam through it to clean the passages and possibly turn the altitude knob to a lower altitude to see if that helps.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If it runs well at idle and responds to loads going on without dying or backfiring, it will probably also run well at low loads.
It runs well at idle and responds well to loads going on, and I exercise it once a month with a high load like the manual says. But what I am wondering is, if I also run it every couple of days for an hour at low load just to charge up the battery, will I do any harm?
Old 07-27-2023, 12:03 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
It runs well at idle and responds well to loads going on, and I exercise it once a month with a high load like the manual says. But what I am wondering is, if I also run it every couple of days for an hour at low load just to charge up the battery, will I do any harm?

I don't think you will have any issues at all, lots of people charge for hours at a time with the Onans.
Old 07-28-2023, 03:46 AM   #7
Platinum Member

These things are meant to be used. The more you use it the better off you are. I have regularly ran mine for 8-10 hours straight - I always have a full tank when doing it - no issues at all. The more you use it the better it will perform.

The ones that quit working are the ones that do not get used regularly.

Case closed
Old 07-28-2023, 10:00 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
These things are meant to be used. The more you use it the better off you are.
This is consistent with my experience. But I have also heard that running it at low load all the time can cause problems, so I am wondering if that is correct. The manual does specifically say to exercise it at high load once a month.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:40 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
This is consistent with my experience. But I have also heard that running it at low load all the time can cause problems, so I am wondering if that is correct. The manual does specifically say to exercise it at high load once a month.

People may be referring to never having a big load on the generator being a problem rather than the low load itself causing a problem. Never running a large load could make the generator not clean out the high speed carb passages as well, perhaps.

Still a good idea to do a full load run once in a while, most likely.
Old 07-29-2023, 03:06 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
why would anyone run it at low load all the time? The main reason for running it a long period of time would be the ac more than likely no? Not trying to be argumentative but I can't think of any reason to run at low load for an extended period except for cooling purposes.

Maybe I am missing something though...
Old 07-29-2023, 10:48 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
why would anyone run it at low load all the time? The main reason for running it a long period of time would be the ac more than likely no? Not trying to be argumentative but I can't think of any reason to run at low load for an extended period except for cooling purposes.

Maybe I am missing something though...

Many people are running long periods to charge their batteries, so the only real power use would be the shore charger and the amount of AC needed varies with charger size.

At 40 amp charger would only pull between 4-5 amps of 120v AC. A 100 amp charger would be closer to 10 amps. Even 10 amps is not even 1/2 load.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:54 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Many people are running long periods to charge their batteries, so the only real power use would be the shore charger and the amount of AC needed varies with charger size.

At 40 amp charger would only pull between 4-5 amps of 120v AC. A 100 amp charger would be closer to 10 amps. Even 10 amps is not even 1/2 load.
I did not consider that as I have not been in a situation where that would be necessary.
Old 07-31-2023, 12:06 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
That is exactly the situation I had in mind -- running the generator every few days for two or three hours to charge a 100AH lithium battery with a 45amp charger. So I guess I would be drawing around 400 watts on average from a 2800 watt generator.
Old 07-31-2023, 12:29 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
start off w/ little load, ramp it up to medium load continue to max load do this by turning stuff on. make sense.you will hear the genset strain w/ load increases.