Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2023, 03:44 PM   #1

Default Purchasing Class B in CA from CO?

We've been looking to upgrade our 1995 VW Eurovan Camper which we've owned for the last 15 years. We've finally settled on a private party 2019 Promaster based camper van with 50k miles that we found in the LA area.

Our plan is to fly out, do a final inspection, exchange the appropriate paperwork and drive it home. But, we have lots of little questions about the final details and are looking for recommendations or gotchas during the final purchase process.

1. How do we ensure the vehicle is free of any liens?
2. For a private party sale, what paperwork is required in CA to purchase and legally drive it back to CO?
3. The purchase price is around 70k and obviously we won't be handing them a briefcase full of cash . Are there services (escrow, other?) we should use for a transaction like this?
4. Is the purchase process in CA different for a motorhome (which I 'think' this would be) vs a standard car?

Anything else we are missing that we should be considering?
Bernadou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I used a cashier’s check purchasing in Florida from Arizona. Went to a Florida bank and they verified the check.

We had difficulty getting a temporary license so we just drove it to Arizona with the Florida plate and sent the plate back to them after arrival.

Should be no problems that two ethical parties can’t overcome. You still are not sure of the ethics of the other party. I know knothing of liens. If there is one the seller will need to pay it off before you leave town with the proceeds from the cashier’s check.

Allow yourself some extra time if needed.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 01:51 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Have the selling party send you a copy of the title, as it will show any liens on the RV. You can either purchase a cashier's check or meet at a bank than may have the lien, it any. This is what I did when I sold my RV in July. The buyer had me make an appointment at a branch of his bank and the bank issued me a check for the sale ($67K) when we met there. They drove down in a rental car (cheaper than air fare) and drove the RV back to Penn.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Team

As others have said, a cashier's check is pretty much as safe an option as you can get, short of a suitcase of cash. They have gotten a bad rep recently because bad guys have taken to forging them. However, there is a sure-fire protection from this:
1) Find out the name and address of the buyer's bank.
2) Look up the phone number of the bank on the Internet. Do NOT believe a number that the buyer provides, or one that appears on the check.
3) At the moment of closing, just before you sign the title, call the bank and ask them to validate the cashier's check. It is important that YOU make the call, not the buyer. As long as you are sure that you are talking to the issuing bank, and they validate the check, you are very likely fine.

When you deposit the check, it may take a few days to clear, and the funds may not be available until it does. But, other than that, this is a pretty optimal procedure. This procedure also works for certified checks, which are much the same thing. The differences are technical and not important.

A wire transfer works as well, but that is more expensive and complex, and really no better. There are also escrow services and various similar businesses. They can be useful in special situations, such as if you are shipping the vehicle and the seller and buyer are never physically together. But they are expensive, and in simple cases really offer no advantage.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 04:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

1. Cashier's check as others have noted. Although I once had someone buy an old car from me, paying $2500 in $100 bills that's a world from $70k.

2. We also did the title of this transaction at my bank in Arizona and I believe that the banker did look for a lien on the title and also notarize the transaction as well as a separate paper of sale I had prepared.

3. We got our RV through family in Wisconsin. I did go to their MVD where I turned in plates for a cardboard temporary plate to use until registered in AZ.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 05:28 PM   #6

We have purchased with cashiers check made out to buyer and wire transfer. Title will tell if any lien. We recently bought in Az and able to drive home to MN without plates or transfer plates. Just needed bill of sale and paper work if stopped. Worked well. Drive carefully of course. Good luck with your purchase.
Lanex005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 06:54 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanex005 View Post
We recently bought in Az and able to drive home to MN without plates or transfer plates. Just needed bill of sale and paper work if stopped. Worked well.
Were you stopped?
You MIGHT be able to talk your way out of a ticket in the way you describe, but as far as I know, driving in this way is illegal in every state. That is why transfer plates exist. They might not even let you proceed without obtaining the proper permit, so the stakes could be higher than just a nuisance ticket.
Transfer permits or plates are cheap and easy to get in most states, so I am not sure I would risk it.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:12 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Depending on where you are at here in California, the local sheriff or police station may have a monitored parking lot for such transactions. My granddson and I just used such a parking lot to sell his car. Also the seller may want to meet you at a bank where you can have the cashier's check drawn up so that the seller knows it is valid. All the best. Quite the upgrade for you. Happy holidays and safe travels.
sehsteve@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 12:01 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanex005 View Post
We have purchased with cashiers check made out to buyer and wire transfer. Title will tell if any lien. We recently bought in Az and able to drive home to MN without plates or transfer plates. Just needed bill of sale and paper work if stopped. Worked well. Drive carefully of course. Good luck with your purchase.
Bad advice. You were lucky
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 03:49 AM   #10

It's not illegal in Colorado. From a Boulder County web site:
You must remove your license plates when you sell your vehicle (in Colorado, the plates belong to the seller, not the vehicle). The buyer can legally drive without plates (within 36 hours of the sale) to the local motor vehicle office or to their residence (if after-hours or on the weekend). They must carry the Bill of Sale and Proof of Insurance and register the vehicle as soon as possible.
Regarding paying with a cashier's check, there is no risk to you, only to the seller. So if they're good with it, cool. The buyer may be able to call the bank the check came from to verify its validity, if within normal business hours. There is also at least one web-based service that will handle large automotive transactions such as this, and will vet both buyer and seller, check the VIN for liens, and create the bill of sale which can be e-signed, but for a fee. I chose that method for the RV I purchased a few weeks ago, and the seller was satisfied with the security (I flew to OH to buy, drove it back to CO). You don't transfer the money until you are there, see the unit, are satisfied with the title, etc. You complete the transaction on your phone (or a computer).
dilbertjth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 12:59 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbertjth View Post
It's not illegal in Colorado. .
Even if he or she can live with the 36 hour (and only evenings and weekends) restrictions, OP needs to GET to Colorado:

California sells temporary operating permits:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicl...ating-permits/

Nevada is OK for 3 days, but you need liability insurance before driving the vehicle.
https://dmv.nv.gov/regprivate.htm#:~...ter%20purchase.

Arizona sells 3-day transit permits.
https://azdot.gov/faq/how-do-i-obtai...20azmvdnow.gov.

Utah sells 96 hour in-transit permits.
https://dmv.utah.gov/register/temporary-permits

Typically, these permits are honored by other states for through-travel. They are cheap and mostly easy. It would be foolish to attempt such a trip without one IMO.