Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2023, 03:52 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Sprinter Brakes and Rotors?

Hi all,

This one's for the Sprinter van owners out there. I have a 2021 Pleasure-Way on a 2020 Sprinter 144. 33000 miles, and I recently heard the brakes start squeaking. Took it in to my local mechanic, who told me that the front pads were gone, and it had affected the rotors as well. (The rear pads were still at 5mm.) He said the rotors needed replacing. He then said that it was possible to sand the rotors, but it was notoriously difficult on European cars; perhaps the dealer could do it, but he couldn't.

He also said that for these models, they always recommend replacing the rotors with the pads. And THAT is my main question. Is that true? I thought the whole point of pads is that you wouldn't have to replace rotors.

I'm not surprised that the pads are gone. We've been doing a LOT of steep mountain driving, and there's only so much downshifting i can do.

Anyway, what has your experience been with Sprinter pads and rotors? Have you been able to just change pads? Or is my mechanic correct? (They've always been trustworthy up until now.)
Old 11-22-2023, 03:21 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I have an older Sprinter, I would replace the pads and rotors. This is a large, heavy vehicle and 60% of the braking force is in the front.

Mechanics generally turn the rotors on cars/trucks when they replace the pads. I generally do not, I reuse the rotors as long as they aren't scratched, warped or glazed. When I had the brakes done on my Sprinter I had the pads and rotors replaced and went with upgraded brakes. The rotors weren't scratched or damaged.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 03:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantonMac View Post
Hi all,

I thought the whole point of pads is that you wouldn't have to replace rotors.
I don't think that is true. The pads are designed to preserve stopping power as the pad surface wears down but they don't entirely protect the rotar surface from wear. It may or may not wear out as fast as the pads.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 04:21 PM   #4
Silver Member

I have a 2013 ERA on a 2012 chassis with almost 90,000 miles on it. The first time at around 40,000 miles I just did the front pads. The second time, recently, I did everything, pads, rotors, front and rear plus the parking brakes.
That worked for me.
Nspekter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 04:23 PM   #5

Best to replace both at the same time. Otherwise you will be going back and forth replacing one or the other at different times. As was mention it is a heavy vehicle that needs solid braking power.
z_spatula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 04:51 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Agree 💯 percent.... replace everything at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_spatula View Post
Best to replace both at the same time. Otherwise you will be going back and forth replacing one or the other at different times. As was mention it is a heavy vehicle that needs solid braking power.
You're absolutely correct, my advice is to replace the brake pads and install brand new rotors. This is a $2,000 brake job, front and rear.

All depends on how you use your vehicle. I have almost 70,000 miles on the original brakes and about 50 to 60 percent left on the pads. Estimated from my mechanic. We drive a lot of highway miles and are just cruising with minimum stops.

And, your point is well taken that this is a very heavy vehicle and you don't want to take the risk of brake failure. Inspect the brakes every year and get your fluid changed every two years.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:25 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I have a 2013 sprinter and replaced my brake pads and rotors on all 4 wheels at 48,000 miles. Pads weren't down to the metal; but, I usually replace rotors when I do a brake job on any of my vehicles. I went to an upgraded heavy duty rotor with ventilation slots for cooling. I forget the brand right now.
With the sprinter at near maximum weight capacity, a couple of good hills will really heat up the pads and rotors with possible warpage. My wife is pretty good about downshifting the auto trans when going down hills. This is one of the best ways to prolong brake life. IMO

Didn't realize that a brake job was $2000. Not surprising. Did it myself for around $500 in parts. Super easy to do, even for a 71 year old.

Bottom line - yes, I would definitely replace the rotors and not just resurface them. You need all the metal you can for heat dissipation. AIMO (Also in my opinion).

Cheers.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:34 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default 48,000, huh ...all depends on how and where you drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatteras Jim View Post
I have a 2013 sprinter and replaced my brake pads and rotors on all 4 wheels at 48,000 miles. Pads weren't down to the metal; but, I usually replace rotors when I do a brake job on any of my vehicles. I went to an upgraded heavy duty rotor with ventilation slots for cooling. I forget the brand right now.
With the sprinter at near maximum weight capacity, a couple of good hills will really heat up the pads and rotors with possible warpage. My wife is pretty good about downshifting the auto trans when going down hills. This is one of the best ways to prolong brake life. IMO

Didn't realize that a brake job was $2000. Not surprising. Did it myself for around $500 in parts. Super easy to do, even for a 71 year old.

Bottom line - yes, I would definitely replace the rotors and not just resurface them. You need all the metal you can for heat dissipation. AIMO (Also in my opinion).

Cheers.
Congratulations on being to do this yourself, not everyone can do that. Everything is easy when you know what to do..
Old 11-28-2023, 09:48 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Thanks. It's just not MB that overcharges for simple brake jobs (imo). A friend of mine was just quoted $1100 for all 4 brakes and rotors on her honda. Parts for her were around $300. I'm not sure why the huge markup, unless you are replacing calipers and brake fluid. I once asked a mechanic why they charge so much for a simple brake job. "Because we can" was his response.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:29 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Default No cheap wheels anymore.... vehicles are Very expensive

Quote:
Thanks. It's just not MB that overcharges for simple brake jobs (imo). A friend of mine was just quoted $1100 for all 4 brakes and rotors on her honda. Parts for her were around $300. I'm not sure why the huge markup, unless you are replacing calipers and brake fluid. I once asked a mechanic why they charge so much for a simple brake job. "Because we can" was his response.
If you think $2,000 is a lot for a brake job on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter,
then how does the dealership justify $1,560 for a complete oil change which doesn't include the transmission fluid change.

My independent mechanic quoted me $2,000 and he's very reasonably priced. Actually, I didn't even call Mercedes.... their prices are way out of line.

I can definitely believe someone saying that they can get it, even from Honda. Find a good independent mechanic who you've worked with and you'll be better off in the long run.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:08 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
I once asked a mechanic why they charge so much for a simple brake job. "Because we can" was his response.
Served jury duty with a local Toyota dealer tech. Told me his dealership was charging $190 an hour labor while the other Toyota dealers were charging $110. He said they are backed up with work. I guess many people do not even check around.
peteco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 04:07 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Labor rate.....plays a significant role

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Served jury duty with a local Toyota dealer tech. Told me his dealership was charging $190 an hour labor while the other Toyota dealers were charging $110. He said they are backed up with work. I guess many people do not even check around.
The reason that the Mercedes dealership is so expensive is because they are charging $235 per hour and my independent mechanic is charging $115 per hour.

Other than that, it's all parts. All of these extra charges for labor add up very quickly. Now, the independent mechanic doesn't have some fancy lounge and free coffee and croissants but, I can easily skip that and save the money.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:00 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
The reason that the Mercedes dealership is so expensive is because they are charging $235 per hour and my independent mechanic is charging $115 per hour.

Other than that, it's all parts. All of these extra charges for labor add up very quickly. Now, the independent mechanic doesn't have some fancy lounge and free coffee and croissants but, I can easily skip that and save the money.
And the independent mechanic doesn't have big corporate mouths to feed with his labor (he does feed them through the parts though). Dealer has to pay the executive chain back to the top, plus the shareholders; they ain't cheap.
peteco is online now   Reply With Quote