Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2021, 07:03 AM   #1

Default Restore or Update?

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a 1995 190 Versatile Roadtrek with 86,000km from the original owner. It is in mint condition and is like walking back in time, down to the original shower curtain!

Obviously in spite of the amazing care it has received, the carpets and upholstery show signs of wear and the curtains have faded somewhat.

I'm looking for advice around restoring versus redecorating. Left to my own devices, I would rip out the carpet, reupholster the benches, make new curtains, and paint the cupboards. However, I feel a bit like a custodian of a rare animal and I want to do the right thing by it. Am I harming the value of it if I decorate it in today's decor? Or does that not matter to the value in the years' ahead?

Thank you for any help and advice!

Michelle
Victoria, BC Canada
Miki's Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:41 AM   #2
Bronze Member

We have a mostly original 1998 Pleasureway that we plan to do some mods. We have already replaced the vinyl flooring and repainted the white cabinet doors. They still appear original. We plan to update all the soft surfaces such as curtains and bench upholstery. The fabrics cannot be found today so you really have no choice.
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It comes down to the tastefulness of the update. A well-done update is better than a tired-looking vintage interior, especially a vintage that hasn't come back around (and maybe never will).

Not a fan of the cherry finish and black fake granite counters in mine either. Roadtrek seems to imitate residential design trends with a delay of 5 years or so.

Light colors and neutrals work for me in a small space.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:31 PM   #4
Platinum Member

My opinion, which is no more than that - A well-done update will increase the value for a unit that is that old. If however your interior rehab job has an amateurish look with paint drips visible on the cupboards, lumpy upholstery, and uneven curtains then it would probably have only a slightly negative impact on value. Most of the value of the unit is in the fact that it still runs, so interior fit and finish on something that old is just not that crucial to the retail sale price.

I would encourage you not to view a 26 year old unit as an investment. Go ahead and make it your own and use it as you wish. Even if you have terrible taste and it looks awful to everyone else you will almost certainly get more value from your own enjoyment then you will loose from the impact on resale price.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Michelle!

Make it yours!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:19 PM   #6
Platinum Member

If it's really in mint condition, I'd leave it alone, or clean it up with "restoration" rather than "update" in mind.

I don't mind purchasing older vehicles, but if previous owners have "upgraded" them by drilling holes in perfectly good interior panels, installing all sorts of unneeded wiz-bang technology, or installing decor items that do not match the original, I pass them up immediately. In older vehicles, "unmolested" is what keeps the value and appeal up, at least for me anyway.

Or, as others have said, make it your own and redo things that you personally like. The consequence however is that those likes will probably be turn-offs to potential future owners.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:58 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I tend to agree with other comments. My 1997 PW interior is in good shape BUT everything slowly degrades with use. I have added a few things like fridge exterior fans, new thermostat, battery cutoff switch, battery monitor and replaced the rear seat cushions with mattresses. Still have the original seat cushions. My take is that older units have + and - points but one of them is not whether it looks like it just came out of the showroom/dealer. A classic car? Sure. A quality resto like that is desirable. But generally with that car
you're not driving it long distances. I have a 62 vette that I restored 20 years ago. Ok for tooling around town. But it only has lap belts. Not too safe. Similarly my PW only has an airbag for the driver and that's definately a -. If I were to buy another RV it would have to have bags for both so that's a large - for selling my RV to anyone similarly inclined.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:09 PM   #8
Silver Member

If you've only recently purchased the van the best advice I can give is don't change anything until you have some experience with it. After some time on the road and in camp your priorities will change.
fwdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:55 PM   #9

Miki's Adventures,
Congratulations. You have purchased a high quality vehicle. I went on the tour through the Roadtrek factory (when it existed) in Kitchener, ON and was really impressed with the workmanship and attentiveness of the workers. I purchased a 1994 Versatile 190 on the Dodge Chassis, 218 engine in 2002 and continue to use it. We had many memorable trips including from Ontario to BC, to the Yukon, Alaska and down south to California (when this possibility existed). I've made a few modifications for eg. - removed the seat behind the driver and installed a clothes closet with room for a toaster oven and coffee maker on top. The closet is useful particularly for the longer trips when weather varies so a variety of clothes is required. I agree fully with fwdanielson; get out on the road and then decide what you want to do. Keep a small notepad and write down your ideas / desired changes as they occur. I live in Langley, BC. If you are nearby, we can exchange ideas, etc. I don't think email addresses or phone numbers should be posted on a public forum. Info. can be sent by PM's if you chose to do so.
versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:46 PM   #10
Bronze Member

I have the same van, but a 1999. The advice I see consistently from RT owners is too keep it original if you plan to sell. Plenty of stories about "updated" vintage RT's selling for thousands less than similar ones that are basically original. Maybe the target market for vintage RT's (like me!) are just a bit odd. ��
JDBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by versatile View Post
Miki's Adventures,
Congratulations. You have purchased a high quality vehicle. I went on the tour through the Roadtrek factory (when it existed) in Kitchener, ON and was really impressed with the workmanship and attentiveness of the workers. I purchased a 1994 Versatile 190 on the Dodge Chassis, 218 engine in 2002 and continue to use it. We had many memorable trips including from Ontario to BC, to the Yukon, Alaska and down south to California (when this possibility existed). I've made a few modifications for eg. - removed the seat behind the driver and installed a clothes closet with room for a toaster oven and coffee maker on top. The closet is useful particularly for the longer trips when weather varies so a variety of clothes is required. I agree fully with fwdanielson; get out on the road and then decide what you want to do. Keep a small notepad and write down your ideas / desired changes as they occur. I live in Langley, BC. If you are nearby, we can exchange ideas, etc. I don't think email addresses or phone numbers should be posted on a public forum. Info. can be sent by PM's if you chose to do so.
Its so nice to meet another RT owner close by. I'm just learning how to use this forum, so hopefully you get this, but yes I'm in Victoria, and when allowed, I'm often in Chilliwack visiting family, and I would love to meet up and learn from you! Cheers��
Old 05-18-2021, 06:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegw2 View Post
My opinion, which is no more than that - A well-done update will increase the value for a unit that is that old. If however your interior rehab job has an amateurish look with paint drips visible on the cupboards, lumpy upholstery, and uneven curtains then it would probably have only a slightly negative impact on value. Most of the value of the unit is in the fact that it still runs, so interior fit and finish on something that old is just not that crucial to the retail sale price.

I would encourage you not to view a 26 year old unit as an investment. Go ahead and make it your own and use it as you wish. Even if you have terrible taste and it looks awful to everyone else you will almost certainly get more value from your own enjoyment then you will loose from the impact on resale price.
I think that's a fair point. Purchasing Nelly (my Roadtrek), is for me to try to bring some joy in to my somewhat grim life, not an investment. As such, I should make her interior pleasing to me, rather than some potential future owner. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2021, 06:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBrown View Post
I have the same van, but a 1999. The advice I see consistently from RT owners is too keep it original if you plan to sell. Plenty of stories about "updated" vintage RT's selling for thousands less than similar ones that are basically original. Maybe the target market for vintage RT's (like me!) are just a bit odd. ��
Lol. I don't think so at all! These are remarkable vehicles that carry so many happy emotions, who could resist them??
Old 05-18-2021, 06:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I tend to agree with other comments. My 1997 PW interior is in good shape BUT everything slowly degrades with use. I have added a few things like fridge exterior fans, new thermostat, battery cutoff switch, battery monitor and replaced the rear seat cushions with mattresses. Still have the original seat cushions. My take is that older units have + and - points but one of them is not whether it looks like it just came out of the showroom/dealer. A classic car? Sure. A quality resto like that is desirable. But generally with that car
you're not driving it long distances. I have a 62 vette that I restored 20 years ago. Ok for tooling around town. But it only has lap belts. Not too safe. Similarly my PW only has an airbag for the driver and that's definately a -. If I were to buy another RV it would have to have bags for both so that's a large - for selling my RV to anyone similarly inclined.
I think you're absolutely right. Hopefully I can find a balance between necessary upgrades and respecting the 26 years of adventures and enjoyment held within fabrics and cabinetry. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2021, 07:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwdanielson View Post
If you've only recently purchased the van the best advice I can give is don't change anything until you have some experience with it. After some time on the road and in camp your priorities will change.
I think you're absolutely right. I've changed out the stereo (but will store the tape deck) and installed a back up camera, but will probably hold off on anything else until I've camped in her for a few times. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2021, 07:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
If it's really in mint condition, I'd leave it alone, or clean it up with "restoration" rather than "update" in mind.

I don't mind purchasing older vehicles, but if previous owners have "upgraded" them by drilling holes in perfectly good interior panels, installing all sorts of unneeded wiz-bang technology, or installing decor items that do not match the original, I pass them up immediately. In older vehicles, "unmolested" is what keeps the value and appeal up, at least for me anyway.

Or, as others have said, make it your own and redo things that you personally like. The consequence however is that those likes will probably be turn-offs to potential future owners.
That's fair. I think it makes the most sense to be respectful of her history by doing a good job of those things I do change, but allow myself to make her 'mine' too Thanks!
Old 05-18-2021, 07:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
We have a mostly original 1998 Pleasureway that we plan to do some mods. We have already replaced the vinyl flooring and repainted the white cabinet doors. They still appear original. We plan to update all the soft surfaces such as curtains and bench upholstery. The fabrics cannot be found today so you really have no choice.
I think you're right and that some things just need doing, but I'll take care to make any changes carefully and respectfully. Thank you!