Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #1

Default Revel spare tire

Just got a Winnebago Revel. It came without a spare. Winnebago put BFG 17R tires on the van and I'm not sure a 17R spare will fit in the cradle beneath the rear of the vehicle. Maybe a 16R (which I think is original equipment from Mercedes) is the largest tire that will fit. Can someone help?
Roco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forums.
There are some Revel owners here

16 & 17 are the rim size

the first number is the WIDTH of the tread the second is a percentage of the width applied to the sidewall HEIGHT

so a "200/50" would be 200 mm wide and 100 mm high

the 235/75/16 on my pickup would be 235mm wide tread and a sidewall 176mm high ( 75%)

often with a larger rim, a shorter sidewall tire will be spec'd- ( and a shorter sidewall would have less flex, which may be better for a heavyweight)
The 17" rim may also have other attributes such as offset or even to fit larger brakes or some other change from stock MB ( but I dunno)

Side by side, the 2 wheels 16/17 with tires may be the same total height/diameter. that way the speedo is accurate as are the gear ratios in the tranny

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote