Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #301
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
aimspower LF inverter chargers are-gasp- rebadged zl powerstar inverter /chargers...their manuals for these models are much better
The AIMS units certainly look like the ZLP's, and may well be made by them.

But the unit in my ETrek is not on that list of AIMS units. Like the one shown in Wincrasher's photo, it has the LCD monitoring screen which I find handy for seeing how the system works (even if the damn screen is positioned so it's hard to read).
Old 10-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #302
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
The AIMS units certainly look like the ZLP's, and may well be made by them.

But the unit in my ETrek is not on that list of AIMS units. Like the one shown in Wincrasher's photo, it has the LCD monitoring screen which I find handy for seeing how the system works (even if the damn screen is positioned so it's hard to read).

what inverter/charger is in your e-trek show us a picture.

my zion does have the zlpower/powerstar/aimscorp 2000

i could give you a better answer if i could see a picture of what you have
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #303
Platinum Member

There's so many on Alibaba that look similar. Link: Promotional 2000 Watt Inverter Charger, Buy 2000 Watt Inverter Charger Promotion Products at Low Price on Alibaba.com

I thought these: Pure Sine Wave Inverter | YIY | EYEN looked like the Aims units a while ago. Maybe they just have a common case supplier.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #304
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
There's so many on Alibaba that look similar. Link: Promotional 2000 Watt Inverter Charger, Buy 2000 Watt Inverter Charger Promotion Products at Low Price on Alibaba.com

I thought these: Pure Sine Wave Inverter | YIY | EYEN looked like the Aims units a while ago. Maybe they just have a common case supplier.
the ones i've pointed out are sold all over the world under many rebranded names.
these
there are videos on youtube of these. they may not be as good as the ones you talked about but there are plenty of zlpower units sold all over the world
Old 10-02-2015, 12:10 AM   #305
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i could give you a better answer if i could see a picture of what you have
Mine's hard to see now as I'm packing for departure and it's surrounded by stuff. But try this pic. I know it's a ZLP. I just don't see an equivalent AIMS.
Just above the red terminal is the LCD function screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inverter.jpg (57.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-02-2015, 12:22 AM   #306
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
Mine's hard to see now as I'm packing for departure and it's surrounded by stuff. But try this pic. I know it's a ZLP. I just don't see an equivalent AIMS.
Just above the red terminal is the LCD function screen.
i'm guessing it is the aimspower 24v volt 6000- but perhaps an earlier model from zlp.

i found the exact zlp picture of it like you have

http://zlpower.en.made-in-china.com/...o-AC-220V.html
Old 10-04-2015, 01:22 AM   #307
Platinum Member

Quote:
It looks like the ZL Power unit used in other Roadtreks. LW Pure Sine Wave Inverter_ZLPOWER Electronics Co., Ltd.-EXPERT POWER SUPPLIER,uninterruptible power supply,UPS,solar inverter

It would be really cool to see Roadtrek switch to well known brand components for the inverter and solar controllers etc. Brands like Magnum and Outback and Bluesky have easy to find, readily available manuals and specifications.
I also have always wondered why Roadtrek always seemed to go with the less than recognized premium components (at least not proven in the US market premium) in their purported high end class B's. The specs quoted in Marko's later post show some of the differences. It is easy to find a lower cost product, with less robust specifications, that will function OK, but the reduced accuracy would likely show up over time in electrical component failures earlier, as well as shortened battery life. Plus no RV dealers will have any knowledge of them.

There are some very good components out there, no need to reinvent it all.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:26 AM   #308
Platinum Member

Quote:

Many of the Asian manufacturers of equipment do tons of private label stuff, so you will see many of the similar products look the same. There may, or may not, be any internal differences. When I was looking for a metal cutting horizontal bandsaw quite a few years ago, everything from Jet to Grizzly to Harbor Freight was made out the exact same appearing castings, but varied in price by about 40%. Better guts? Who knows.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #309
Platinum Member

A lot of Ecotrek posts in this topic so I figured this is the place for a positive report from an owner: https://www.facebook.com/groups/road...9463364879314/

Quote:
I've had the volt trek on for approximately 7 hours, the engine hasn't started yet. These ecotrek battery's are some powerful monsters
Quote:
The air was on for about 3 hours, the lights, the TV have been on all 7
A few more reports like that will give an idea of expected performance.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #310
Platinum Member

He also was one of the ones that had a complete melt down.

he was able to get it going by jump starting the control panel from another cars battery.

lucky for him he had a little power in the lithium batteries left-2 others the jump start did not work because the batteries were dead dead.

an issue so far seems if you forget to shut off the inverter it drains everything.

the low battery shut off of the inverter does not understand lithium batteries-it will in fact draw them down to zeroe this because the inverter won't

the BMS has to solv
Old 10-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #311
Platinum Member

I'm almost to my place in AZ. The lithium battery was replaced with the two Group 31s before I left, but it appears that the underhood generator isn't working. We got all sorts of odd readings trying to test it.

Question for you GerryM... the solar controller. It has been sunny much of the time and the top light is solid green as soon as the sun is even thinking of rising. But for the last two days, the second light down has been blinking.

I can't remember for sure... does blinking mean that the battery is fully charged or that it is charging? I thought it meant charging and that makes no sense...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:59 PM   #312
Platinum Member

the second light is the battery charging light. Blinking means battery is FULL.

solid green means it is charging.

you are correct

the engine generator can't always be read because it only starts charging if needed

you can find info and a manual here

http://www.epsolarpv.com/en/index.ph.../158/am_id/136
Old 10-08-2015, 11:21 PM   #313
Platinum Member

Thanks Gerry... I have all this written in the front of my manual, but... if only I could remember where I packed it. (it will be found tomorrow... or the newt day) And my internet connections have ranged from bad to worse. Finally today... my first decent wifi.

I assume that you also have that little "reader" under the hood. The tech was getting odd readings from the alternator... and my guess was that it might be what decided if the battery needed a charge and controlled what charge went back to the batteries. It does seem to pop out a lot of little numbers on the screen... for the battery under the hood and in the house. It was another item that the tech had never seen before. Roadtrek really needs to provide their dealers with the information on the new systems.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-08-2015, 11:35 PM   #314
Site Team

That little "reader" is the Balmar voltage regulator for your second alternator. Same one I have. It is normal for it to constantly stream numbers. If you want to know what they mean you can download its manual here:

Balmar MC-614

This manual is also what your tech will need if your alternator needs to be diagnosed.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #315
Platinum Member

Thanks... I'll email the link to him right now.

Do you know if my guess was correct? Does it only send a charge to the rear batteries if they need it?
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-09-2015, 12:14 AM   #316
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Do you know if my guess was correct? Does it only send a charge to the rear batteries if they need it?
It is a full-blown 3-stage charger. So, yes, it monitors the battery in the same way that any other battery charger, and adjusts its voltage so as to modulate the current for bulk, absorption and float.

N.B.: This is a programmable device. If it used to be connected to Li batteries and is now charging AGMs, it needs to be reprogrammed. This is done by waving a magnet over the little red dot near the display (there is a magnetic reed switch behind it). It's all in the manual.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:44 AM   #317
Platinum Member

Oh great... and I will be in AZ where the local RT dealer refuses to do any warranty work on a RT that they didn't sell. Ah... the fun begins... next week some time...

Thanks Avanti... What would I do without you guys!!
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #318
Platinum Member

If a dealer won't do warranty work it generally implies they are worried about getting paid by Roadtrek for their efforts.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #319
Platinum Member

That's nuts. I have two Winnebago dealers where I live that are both willing and able to do warranty service on my coach that I bought 1000 miles away.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #320
Platinum Member

An outright refusal is a rather rare thing - and really stupid from a business perspective.

Putting you at the end of their que, behind their regular customers, on the other hand, is quite common, and a wiser course than just turning people away.

I see no upside for a business to just refuse service to anyone.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote