Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2021, 05:22 PM   #1

Default RV covering

I would like to cover my 2007 Roadtrek with AC on top, during our wet and cold winters in Oregon. What experiences have others had and any recommendations?
jimtwilliams1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:45 AM   #2
Platinum Member

many of us feel that a cover will skuff paint and don't use

a good wash and coat of wax when sitting will help leaves, dirt, snow etc slide off

I have a modified cheepo harbor freight "carport" kit which provides shade ( arizona) and keeps some of the stuff off it.
I did some "engineering" to increase the height for my 9'4" van

cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:32 PM   #3

Smile

Hello, I am using a ''Classic Accessories Over Drive PolyPRO3 Deluxe Class B RV Cover'' and I am quite happy with it.

It survived two Ottawa, Ontario winters and looks like it is still good for several more winters.

Quite fast and easy to install; only tricky part is that you have to go on the roof and our Roadtrek Agile is covered with solar panels, AC, etc...but is you are careful it is not too bad.

https://classicaccessories.com/cover...3-25-l-x-117-h
Louma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:49 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Hey Louis,

Welcome to the Forums !

Ottawa winters..1970~71 175 inches of snow.
That's WHY I live in Arizona !
Dad sent me up on the roof more than once to shovel the snow off. Could literally walk up the snowdrift by the kitchen window onto the roof

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:12 AM   #5
Site Team

Honestly, you REALLY don't want to use any vehicle cover that makes contact with the paint. They do far more harm than good. Modern paints are not affected by weather for a great many years. Just use window coverings to prevent the interior from sun damage.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:15 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I've used a cover on every RV I've owned with none of this paint damage folks talk about. Wash the RV, cover it and cinch it down tight.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:04 AM   #7

I also have used the Classic Accessories cover mentioned by Louma. I cleanup and wax the Pleasureway in the fall and put the cover on from November to March (inclusive). It’s lasted pretty well over three Victoria winters, and should provide another three at least. No paint damage, and the RV looks nice and shiny when I remove the cover. Much better than when I used to leave it uncovered.
VictoriaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:41 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Cover value

I think the value of covers depends heavily on the climate you are in. Frequent high-wind conditions will cause a lot of chafing of the cover against the vehicle. Dusty conditions will introduce grit. Put them together and paint damage is pretty likely. Taking your chances with sun damage might be a better choice in the desert southwest.

If on the other had you are primarily worried about freeze-thaw cycles, dirty rainwater / snow stains, tree sap and pollen, and park in an area protected from high wind conditions I think a cover can be a great choice (provided you remove it as soon as the temperature warms so that mold doesn't become an issue).
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:23 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Would this work for you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210413-092156_Chrome.jpg (198.9 KB, 10 views)
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:14 PM   #10

Smile Shore power and covers

Can I use shore power with a cover? Zipper flaps of course.
ctwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:56 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwizard View Post
Can I use shore power with a cover? Zipper flaps of course.
Sure, why not? Don't run the furnace. Leave a vent or window partly open, if you want.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:54 PM   #12
Silver Member

Those who say "don't use a cover" mustn't live in our northern climes, where we get 3 feet of snow, freezing rain, sleet, and whatever old man winter throws at us for 4-5 months.

Looking for a cover up here in Canada is not an easy proposition it seems. Sure there are some available here and there in the $200-300 range (mostly from the US with hefty shipping charges) but a search on the Better Business Bureau for a brand of vehicle cover (Gold Shield) that comes up in different model names gives reason to pause their quality and longevity:
https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/anaheim/pr...994/complaints

The search goes on....
rstl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:26 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstl99 View Post
Those who say "don't use a cover" mustn't live in our northern climes, where we get 3 feet of snow, freezing rain, sleet, and whatever old man winter throws at us for 4-5 months.

Looking for a cover up here in Canada is not an easy proposition it seems. Sure there are some available here and there in the $200-300 range (mostly from the US with hefty shipping charges) but a search on the Better Business Bureau for a brand of vehicle cover (Gold Shield) that comes up in different model names gives reason to pause their quality and longevity:
https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/anaheim/pr...994/complaints

The search goes on....

We don't live as far north as you do, but here in Minnesota we do get our share, and at least from a "what I see" perspective there appear to be fewer and fewer RVs (motorhomes, trailers, etc) being stored with covers around here. Maybe everyone has gotten lazy or tired of buying new ones ever couple of years, but I also know of several people who said they had issues with trapped moisture under the covers, especially with the snow holding it against the roof. Mold, paint lifting type stuff IIRC. Storing outside is tough in the north, I think, as you get underbody rusting from the wet warmer/colder ground condensing on the underside and all the snow and ice on top, plus you still can get sun fade and wear and tear.

Obviously a garage would be best, but expensive. Maybe a snow load capable canopy with open sides might be a decent compromise. We do see them around here, usually metal roof type.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:58 PM   #14
Silver Member

A canopy would not work for me, double-width driveway but I need room to park my SUV beside the camper.

I hear what you are saying, that covers can in some cases do more harm than good. I used to use a very large tarp on my "specialty" camper or off-road vehicles during the winter, probably not good but at least it didn't rip and tear up like the current covers seem to do frequently. I have used car covers in the past with reasonably good success - single layer breathable, some rips occured which I just patched with duct tape and reused several years.

My Roadtrek is in very good condition outside partly because the previous owners for 8 years or so lived on a farm so the camper was stored high and dry inside a shed most of the time, and all winter. I don't have that luxury in the city.

As far as the underside goes I have that under control, with a Krown rust-proofing application scheduled in a week. Covers the underside (and inside body cavities, bottom of doors etc) with creepy rust-proofing oil. I've seen horror photos of Dodge vans with severely rusted and compromised chassis and frame and aim to prevent that fate for my RT, which has been well cared for in that regard (and will never be driven in the winter salt).

There are probably still people out there who park their RVs on grass for the winter, which is probably the most harmful thing you can do to a vehicle's chassis.

Anyway, if I can't find a decent and reasonably affordable cover for mine, it might in fact stand naked against the elements this winter... and hope no damage or water intrusion occurs... At this point, it appears to be impermeable (after necessary recaulking of the fantastic fan, which had been shoddily done before).
rstl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:55 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstl99 View Post
Anyway, if I can't find a decent and reasonably affordable cover for mine, it might in fact stand naked against the elements this winter... and hope no damage or water intrusion occurs... At this point, it appears to be impermeable (after necessary recaulking of the fantastic fan, which had been shoddily done before).
I was about to ask you what you though a cover would protect you from. But, concerns about water intrusion are a valid answer. It is one of the few things I can think of for which a cover might help. If the vehicle is less than 25 years old or so, it will otherwise hold up fine exposed to the elements (excluding the interior, of course, which does need protection). But, as you say, fixing the leaks are the best approach.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #16
Silver Member

Yes, indeed, water intrusion from roof or windows is my main motivation for a cover. Cheers.

Tags
class b cover, winter protection, winter storage