Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2023, 07:04 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default RV Glass and Replacements

Hello fellow travelers. As winter comes it is time to do any preventive maintenance and make ready for Spring. I had a recent issue with my 2020 K59 Travato back passenger side slide window. I pulled it open and the handle came loose and when I pushed it back the window burst into a million pieces. Tempered safety glass. I found out from Winniebago that they do not make a replacement piece. I would have to order a complete window kit.. I checked everywhere around the map to find anyone that can make a single piece of auto glass flat with curved ends. I made a template and send out a lot of emails. Most of the glass places including Coachman Glass would not make the one 17" x 16" x 3/8" tempered tinted glass single piece. I have two possible glass companies (one in Florida and the other in Indiana) who will try to make the piece. I was told by most companies they only now do Front windshields. Even Safelight would not do it and they are a company that charges insurance a lot. I am not making a insurance claim to have my rates jacked up (I really dislike most insurance companies) A short story later. Well I am awaiting my Florida person to take the template and see what he can do. Fingers crossed. The whole point of this post for anyone to be careful with your window glass and protect it from any breakage or you will be taping the window until you can figure out where to have it fixed. If anyone knows a good company that will do auto glass like this please let me know. The good news is I can drive it to a place and camp while the work is done. LOL My short story is with State Farm. I had 2 cars a boats plus my RV insured and I could not figure how they make a rate (bean counters) on a RV vs Car since the price is way higher for my new RV. I was told a line of BS and went over to Progressive after being with State farm over 50 years. It pays to show around.
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 01:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

You could also replace the glass with Plexiglass cut to the same size.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 07:07 PM   #3
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
You could also replace the glass with Plexiglass cut to the same size.
Thank you good idea, but hey I found someone to make the auto safety glass. I just read where a lot of Class B and C's were putting in double pane, but found those could have issues and add weight. My new challenge is getting the new class in the frame. Camping world here I come. LOL

Take care and Merry Christmas

Beachlife No Florida
Old 12-07-2023, 11:48 PM   #4
Gold Member

Could a window add enough weight to be concerned about?
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 04:49 PM   #5
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevon View Post
Could a window add enough weight to be concerned about?
If you have a lot of windows it might add weight but I agree it would not be something to concern. It would help with insulation. I am having my new window made and fingers crossed I can get it installed and it works and looks good. What a pain.
Old 12-09-2023, 04:57 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife View Post
Thank you good idea, but hey I found someone to make the auto safety glass. I just read where a lot of Class B and C's were putting in double pane, but found those could have issues and add weight. My new challenge is getting the new class in the frame. Camping world here I come. LOL

Take care and Merry Christmas

Beachlife No Florida

I think most of the RV double pane windows are Lexan so not all that heavy.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 01:54 AM   #7
Silver Member

While not a van window, several years ago I needed to replace the top of a glass coffee table that had fallen victim to playing dogs. It was tempered and radius corners of 2 different diameters. I had a customer that ran a glass shop that did everything from shower doors to auto glass, he took the dimensions and radii I needed and had the replacement in a couple of weeks.
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 08:46 PM   #8
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Dog View Post
While not a van window, several years ago I needed to replace the top of a glass coffee table that had fallen victim to playing dogs. It was tempered and radius corners of 2 different diameters. I had a customer that ran a glass shop that did everything from shower doors to auto glass, he took the dimensions and radii I needed and had the replacement in a couple of weeks.

Hello everyone, and thanks for the info. I found a local glass person and he took the dimensions, and then made a regular glass cut template and had the auto or tempered tinted glass made. They made a few cuts and on fit perfect. I found that you can pull the rubber gaskets and liners out so the glass slips in. What a relief and it was a lot less expensive than the RV companies. I have a few of the glass tinted slider windows for a 2020 Travato if anyone wants one. LOL Spring is coming and the RV travel season will begin in a month or so. To many campers down here in Florida. Go home Yankees. Ha ha
Old 02-02-2024, 10:10 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hello everyone, and thanks for the info. I found a local glass person and he took the dimensions, and then made a regular glass cut template and had the auto or tempered tinted glass made. They made a few cuts and on fit perfect. I found that you can pull the rubber gaskets and liners out so the glass slips in. What a relief and it was a lot less expensive than the RV companies. I have a few of the glass tinted slider windows for a 2020 Travato if anyone wants one. LOL Spring is coming and the RV travel season will begin in a month or so. To many campers down here in Florida. Go home Yankees. Ha ha

So they were able to match the curvatures of the old glass?

Is so, did they use the regular, shatter in little pieces, safety glass, or the laminated version like windshields are?
Old 02-02-2024, 10:23 PM   #10
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
So they were able to match the curvatures of the old glass?

Is so, did they use the regular, shatter in little pieces, safety glass, or the laminated version like windshields are?
Also the price. Thanks.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:02 PM   #11
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Also the price. Thanks.
The original RV glass was 1/8" thick. When it cracked it shattered and exploded into a million pieces. It was a mess to clean up. They did not use the bonded windshield glass. This makes me believe that not only is this an insulation issue, but also a safety issue. Anyone could break in, but they might not like the glass shards.

The price was about $40 per piece of glass plus the labor. I think all in all about $150. I had to put the metal edge back on with the lock, and glue it onto the straight edge of the sliding window, but no big deal. Lessons learned. I may take several of the extra pieces and fasten them over the 4 other windows making it double pane.

It pays to shop around, and not go to the RV and Windshield glass companies. They just want insurance money. Travel well everyone.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:18 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
The original RV glass was 1/8" thick. When it cracked it shattered and exploded into a million pieces. It was a mess to clean up. They did not use the bonded windshield glass. This makes me believe that not only is this an insulation issue, but also a safety issue. Anyone could break in, but they might not like the glass shards.

The price was about $40 per piece of glass plus the labor. I think all in all about $150. I had to put the metal edge back on with the lock, and glue it onto the straight edge of the sliding window, but no big deal. Lessons learned. I may take several of the extra pieces and fasten them over the 4 other windows making it double pane.

It pays to shop around, and not go to the RV and Windshield glass companies. They just want insurance money. Travel well everyone.

At that price it doesn't sound like the glass is curved like many windows are.
Old 02-03-2024, 02:28 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I would never ever use plexiglass in a van window. The van gets too dirty..

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote