Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2023, 01:41 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Rv refrigerator

Should you leave your refrigerator plugged in and running when in storage They say that it should be running or or plugged in as the
Refrigerator freon will leaking it is stored in hot area
Jimc1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:11 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimc1977 View Post
Should you leave your refrigerator plugged in and running when in storage They say that it should be running or or plugged in as the
I have never had an issue with all of our RV's. Class As or the Class B were now driving. On my return home, I take a few days to clean everything out of the van. Then off to get it washed and waxed, as well as made service on the inside. Then I park them into a closed Garage and get washed and waxed about ever 4 to five months. All of this time the refrigerator is cleaned out, empty and turned OFF.

Before the next trip I do a walk-through and turn on the refrigerator about three days before departure and I keep a terminator inside. The wife shops, I have a carry along refrigerator which is plugged in to keep the stacks cold and they are eaten over the first week out camping. Here this website maybe of more help http://www.RvXplor.us/ Good luck
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:14 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimc1977 View Post
This is interesting. I have never heard of the refrigerant leaking. Are you referring to the compressor fridges?
Old 08-01-2023, 06:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member

No one leaves a compressor fridge running when not in use. There is no place for a compressor fridge to leak.

Several of my friends leave absorption fridges running 24/7. I do not.

Their reasoning is it keeps the cooling fluid moving and not precipitating. There are no moving parts tho the AC heating element takes a beating. They have done it for years with no negative results. I would make sure the bottom of the freezer is perfectly level.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 04:58 PM   #5
Bronze Member

i've heard that the car AC compressor should be run occasionally to circulate the oil in the cooling lines to lube the compressor.....that is the only thing that might matter that i can think of
SQUASHMIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 08:15 PM   #6
Lou
Platinum Member

We never leave fridge on between trips and we have had an RV since about 1998. As Dogman says we plug it in a couple of days before we are leaving and load it with food the day before. Could it be about your climate? Our van is parked outside but we live in Vancouver BC (think Seattle weather).
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:50 PM   #7
Platinum Member

" and I keep a terminator inside."

Dogman: How did you get Arnold inside your fridge? I know, spell check got you. Made me laugh.

Always keep my fridge off when not in use. ARB 12volt DC /120VAC. Never an issue.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote