Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #21
Bronze Member

I think of our van as a tall pickup truck. The footprint is the same, so we park where's we'd park a pickup. Just don't drive into a parking garage!
OregonTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #22

Interesting discussion. The majority indicates that class B's are not RV's. This was confirmed for me when I crossed the border from the Canadian side in my Roadtrek. I got into the RV lane with all the other RV's. One of the Canadian border officers walked back the line towards me and informed me (in no uncertain terms) that I was not an RV and to get into the "car" lane (he arranged for me to cut into line) . Since then, I cross in the "car" lane with no problems.
versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Interesting! The ownership papers for my PW Plateau FL shos it as being registered as an RV.

I would have preferred it be registered as a van as that gives me more parking options t our house!

Before buying the PW, I talked to our city bylaw officer to ask them how they considere this type of vehicle from a bylaw perspective - he said if there is any doubt or dispute, we check the registration to so how it is registered and go by that.

I'm not sure who determines how the vehicle is originally registered and I don't think that we as subsequent owners can have it changed. Not certain!

Years ago when I started thinking about a camping van, I contacted the Roadtrek company (We live close by) and they told me that were registered as vans. I am pretty sure that is no longer so - I asked again a year or two ago and spoke with a dealer rep at an RV show - he pulled out the registrations for the vehicles on display and they were registered as RV's.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #24

Default RV Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by coss370 View Post
With signs such as no Rv/trailer allowed vs. Rv/bus parking only, which one are we supposed to follow? Do we call a b van cars or do we call it an RV?
We have a 2016 Sprinter CS Adventurous that is 23' long. I realized the other day there are King Cab pickups that are that long. So you really don't stick out too much.
Backing in is a great idea as long as you have room for your rear end to miss the curb. However, be sure to check for foliage, trees, branches, walls, etc. before attempting. I once did that and missed the big tree branch not in the rear view camera. Nice dent I had to have fixed.
dlj@salinas.ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by coss370 View Post
With signs such as no Rv/trailer allowed vs. Rv/bus parking only, which one are we supposed to follow? Do we call a b van cars or do we call it an RV?
We park our Revel with the cars. We parked with trucks at rest area in California in order to rest for 5 hours on evening while on I5 and were kept up by the noise, especially from their generators. Won't make that mistake again.
DavidRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by versatile View Post
Interesting discussion. The majority indicates that class B's are not RV's. This was confirmed for me when I crossed the border from the Canadian side in my Roadtrek. I got into the RV lane with all the other RV's. One of the Canadian border officers walked back the line towards me and informed me (in no uncertain terms) that I was not an RV and to get into the "car" lane (he arranged for me to cut into line) . Since then, I cross in the "car" lane with no problems.
That is complete BS of course if your B was manufactured by a major RV manufacturer and has an RVIA label. Then again perhaps RVIA is not recognized in Canada?
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:02 PM   #27
Platinum Member

RVIA is a trade association. It does not determine vehicle classification under motor vehicle statutes nor how a vehicle is treated at a border crossing (which are two separate things run by different agencies and nations).

If memory serves, I think some of the “travel vans” popular in the 80’s and 90’s also carry the RVIA label. It is supposed to certify that the upfitter follows all applicable codes in terms of wiring, plumbing, LP... The travel vans usually only have some electrical upgrades, no plumbing or propane, and are treated as light trucks on the road and passenger vehicles at border crossings.

Conversely, not all manufacturers of true RVs are RVIA members. Dues are high, and some small volume, low margin manufacturers cannot justify the high per-unit cost. My Scamp travel trailer is one example.

RVIA sticker or no, with a fully outfitted camper conversion, I think you do right by getting in the RV lane at the border crossing. RVs typically get additional scrutiny because they are more likely to carry produce or other restricted items. If they ask you to move, that’s their call. I would not assume it applies at every crossing point. This one may be wanting to reserve the truck/RV lane for oversized vehicles due to high traffic and limited capacity.

I don’t think anybody is saying we aren’t RVs in the common sense of the term, just that in some real-world situations, Class B’s can acceptably go where regular passenger vehicles and light trucks go.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
That is complete BS of course if your B was manufactured by a major RV manufacturer and has an RVIA label. Then again perhaps RVIA is not recognized in Canada?
Jon said it well. The RVIA is a trade association the informs the RV industry and RV suppliers of the requirements and standards of the government. They do not keep the RV industry in line. They do not set government standards, nor do they set any government standards defining types of RV classification.
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
RVIA is a trade association. It does not determine vehicle classification under motor vehicle statutes, nor how a vehicle is treated at a border crossing.

If memory serves, I think some of the “travel vans” popular in the 80’s and 90’s also carry the RVIA label. It is supposed to certify that the upfitter follows all applicable codes in terms of wiring, plumbing, LP... The travel vans usually only have some electrical upgrades, no plumbing or propane, and are treated as light trucks on the road and passenger vehicles at border crossings.
Glad you also made that second point regarding certification because RVIA is not only a trade association. In any event, my point was that, clearly, RV's with the RVIA label are indeed "RV's" regardless of how any government official chooses to define it.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Glad you also made that second point regarding certification because RVIA is not only a trade association. In any event, my point was that, clearly, RV's with the RVIA label are indeed "RV's" regardless of how any government official chooses to define it.
"Supposed to" is the qualifier. RVIA publishes the codes and manufacturers agree to follow them, but compliance is voluntary. Most of the dues are spent on marketing and lobbying on behalf of the industry, not self-regulation and inspections.

While the organization does represent most of the major manufacturers and wields substantial influence over policies and regulations, I'm going to have to disagree with your assertion that RVIA is the sole or final arbiter of what is and isn't an RV. In the end the answer is, "who's asking?"
Old 12-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
"Supposed to" is the qualifier. RVIA publishes the codes and manufacturers agree to follow them, but compliance is voluntary. Most of the dues are spent on marketing and lobbying on behalf of the industry, not self-regulation and inspections.

While the organization does represent most of the major manufacturers and wields substantial influence over policies and regulations, I'm going to have to disagree with your assertion that RVIA is the sole or final arbiter of what is and isn't an RV. In the end the answer is, "who's asking?"
Trying to find where I said that the "RVIA is the sole or final arbiter of what is and isn't an RV" can you help me out with that? Also, RVIA does do inspections, which are unannounced.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Trying to find where I said that the "RVIA is the sole or final arbiter of what is and isn't an RV" can you help me out with that? Also, RVIA does do inspections, which are unannounced.
Sure. You said, “...my point was that, clearly, RV's with the RVIA label are indeed "RV's" regardless of how any government official chooses to define it.”
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #33
Platinum Member

I mean at the end of the day, I hope everyone is going to be reasonable about it. Of course some people will just ruin it for everyone.
coss370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sure. You said, “...my point was that, clearly, RV's with the RVIA label are indeed "RV's" regardless of how any government official chooses to define it.”
Still don't see it.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #35
Platinum Member

California dmv threw out my Rv title and insisted I have a sprinter
Old 12-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #36
Silver Member

Funny!!!!!
terance13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #37
Platinum Member

It was just a general question on everything
Old 12-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #38
Silver Member

I need advice...I'm thinking of offering indoor, not climate controlled, RV storage. Each spot would have 120 electrical service. I'm thinking $1.25-1.50 per foot of length per month to make it work for me. Do you think that is reasonable and if available in your area, would you lease a spot for a year? If not, please share your reason(s). Thanks!
terance13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terance13 View Post
I need advice...I'm thinking of offering indoor, not climate controlled, RV storage. Each spot would have 120 electrical service. I'm thinking $1.25-1.50 per foot of length per month to make it work for me. Do you think that is reasonable and if available in your area, would you lease a spot for a year? If not, please share your reason(s). Thanks!
I would not, as my RV's are always kept at my home.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terance13 View Post

The power offering might be a great feature, but you may need to limit what can be run since it would not be climate controlled storage. Space heaters, battery heaters, dehumidifiers, etc could run the monthly power costs up and also overload the available power to the area. Some of the over the winter storage places around here even require every vehicle stored, RV or others to have all batteries disconnected even. Fire issues are always a concern when batteries are involved and even worse when on unattended chargers.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote