Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2021, 01:55 AM   #41
Site Team

There exist combo jump box/compressors, wherein the compressor runs from the lithium battery. Some of them are pretty nice.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #42
Silver Member

We have a Solis it comes without a spare tire. We got a spare tire and rim from another Solis owner who upgraded their tires. We went to Landed Gear in San Diego and they fabricate a tire mount for our rear passenger door. We did it for peace of mind.
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:16 PM   #43

Default No spare?

I have found the no spare/spare can be quite a conversation-

-I suggest investing in a tire pressure warning system instead. Slow leaking tire can be quite elusive. And in terms of safety I much rather know I'm having a problem and need to pull over and repair than whether we have a spare or not.

-Here's a test: How often do you check your tire pressures? Honestly? And with dual rear tires it can be a pain. Can you tell if one of your tire is beginning to leak. say slowly? Or if one tire has lost pressure.

I suggest the priority is to know first that there's a problem. Second what to do about it. I.e. safety first, repair second.

With the heat we have all been seeing across our country being able to pull over and double-check (also known as peace of mind) is first.

Have fun! Stay safe!

Haasman
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:04 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrysimps@aol.com View Post
As a retired law enforcement officer, I am concerned about a breakdown on a deserted country road. I think I would be stranded for less time if I had a spare tire for my airstream interstate 19. So, tomorrow I am driving to Burnet , Texas to buy a Wilco off-road swing away max xl spare tire carrier to attach to my rear hitch. It does not attach to the rear door or the hinges. It has a second receiver into which I can insert a box to carry hoses and the extra stuff we all need and carry.
I completely agree with @jerrysimps and others who choose to carry a spare. My Travato did not originally come with a spare tire, but I told the sales agent it would be a deal-breaker and he agreed to provide one at time of delivery. I use the Wilco Off-Road Max XL receiver-mounted, swing-away tire carrier (2nd one due to the first being damaged by an inattentive driver). With that we carry a hitch haul with Knaack storage box bolted to it or alternate with a motorbike carrier depending on the planned activities. Also have a Safety Seal plug kit, air compressor, tire goo and Good Sam Towing/Roadside, all to ensure peace of mind and availability of resources should the need arise. It is good to have options. The spare is easily accessible in a clean/open area and the other items take up little space inside the vehicle.
Lostwolfak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:06 PM   #45
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
-I suggest investing in a tire pressure warning system instead. Slow leaking tire can be quite elusive. And in terms of safety I much rather know I'm having a problem and need to pull over and repair than whether we have a spare or not.
That's a great point. I could can have an unnoticed leak for a hundred miles, having passed places that could have easily fixed it. Instead, it's likely I'd notice a flat in the morning, a mile down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.

I looked into valve cap sensors, but they seem to have an upper limit of 50#. That's the starting point on my B. I need to keep looking.
rogerstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #46
Platinum Member

I have the Doran TPMS with the constant psi read outs and visual and sound warning system. It is built into the center of the dash easily readable. That’s standard for ARV. It employs the cap sensors so I am not understanding the comment about not over 50 psi.

Since I have a 2500 chassis Sprinter another TPMS is supposed to be built in on the dash readouts by MB by tapping the steering wheel controls. I haven’t bothered to check that. I don’t even know if it is there. If it is, I guess I am double covered by two sensing methods.

As I said before, I’m 230,000 miles in without a flat and 170,000 miles without a spare. I value the weight savings which is critical in my 2500 custom design more than ever than some imagined peace of mind (now I have to knock on wood. ) I’m also doubly insured and would be inconvenienced no matter what since I am not going to attempt to change a tire on the road.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:15 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Guess it depends where you go. I'm rarely of the beaten path, so I had one and removed it. The mount on my PW weight about 100 pounds, plus whatever the spare weighs. Happy I did it. About a foot shorter, more stealth looking (HOA has not said anything so far & it's been 2+ years) plus weight off the back end. JMO, and I know others will disagree.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:46 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I have the Doran TPMS with the constant psi read outs and visual and sound warning system. It is built into the center of the dash easily readable. That’s standard for ARV. It employs the cap sensors so I am not understanding the comment about not over 50 psi.

Since I have a 2500 chassis Sprinter another TPMS is supposed to be built in on the dash readouts by MB by tapping the steering wheel controls. I haven’t bothered to check that. I don’t even know if it is there. If it is, I guess I am double covered by two sensing methods.

As I said before, I’m 230,000 miles in without a flat and 170,000 miles without a spare. I value the weight savings which is critical in my 2500 custom design more than ever than some imagined peace of mind (now I have to knock on wood. ) I’m also doubly insured and would be inconvenienced no matter what since I am not going to attempt to change a tire on the road.
If you don't have MB sensors mounted on rims your MB TPMS system is incomplete and it will not work but having Doran why would you need another one.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:50 PM   #49
Platinum Member

As far as it depends on where you go, I’ve gone to Alaska and back and drove the 90 mile gravel “On Top of the World” highway from Chicken, Alaska to Dawson City, Yukon, which by the way is a fantastic highway for views. I haven’t not having a spare tire shied away from going anywhere.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:58 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
If you don't have MB sensors mounted on rims your MB TPMS system is incomplete and it will not work but having Doran why would you need another one.
I just checked. The MB tire pressure monitoring system is there and active. So I have double coverage. However, it took me awhile to practice and familiarize myself with the operation of the steering wheel buttons and menus and think it is kind of clunky to get to unless it automatically comes on and warns you if there is a tire failure. The 3500 dually chassis don’t have it.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:07 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I just checked. The MB tire pressure monitoring system is there and active. So I have double coverage. However, it took me awhile to practice and familiarize myself with the operation of the steering wheel buttons and menus and think it is kind of clunky to get to unless it automatically comes on and warns you if there is a tire failure. The 3500 dually chassis don’t have it.
ARV did a good job programming Doran sensors to MB system, impressive, did not know it was possible thinking that Doran had a proprietary system. Doran sensors must be matching 433 MHz frequencies and codes used by newer MB models.

This is valuable news for folks with dead rims mounted sensors to get system operational without tire removal.

Tire warning on my MB is automatic, in my van red screen warning starts flashing.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote