Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2023, 04:00 PM   #21

Default storage

I live in the Pacific Northwest. I do use my Airstream Interstate year round and also pay for indoor storage the last 5 years. We live near downtown in a condo, so there is not anywhere to park long term (parking is almost all metered). While it is expensive, I have found it to be a good solution and don't have to worry about any weather or critter damage, or vandalism. I can also leave my car there when I take my van out, they store it inside in my spot. For me, it's totally worth it.
bboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:36 PM   #22

Let's face it, interior storage is always superior - but often not available or impractical.

Having bought a used Class B this week (2000 Roadtrek 190P), I'm limited to storing it outside. The exterior of the van already has some issues, and I'm debating buying a cover since a couple of scuffs would not be a problem in the overall condition of the van. I'm specifically concerned about making sure sunlight is kept out of the interior, and I'll use tire covers to minimize premature aging. But a cover is also a pain to work with.

A good wash and wax on all exposed surfaces will help protect the exterior, but sunlight will tear up interior fabrics and tires. Therefore the least I'll do is add tire covers.

The other issue where I'll be storing is no access to AC for a float charger, nor does the van have solar (at least for now.) I'll probably put a quick disconnect on the engine battery and remove it, but I welcome advice on whether to remove the coach battery as well.
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:40 PM   #23

I live in NW Minnesota. For the past seven winters (now on winter number eight) I've been using an ADCO cover on our 2016 24' class C.

The front tires sit on our tar driveway. The rest of the motorhome sits on dirt/earth that I cover with a folded over heavy duty tarp, that extends past the sides and end in an attempt to keep ground moisture away from the chassis and components.

So far so good with the ground cover and the ADCO. I'm on my second ADCO cover. The first ADCO I used for six winters and was serviceable enough that I was able to sell it.

I will say that there is a bit of wind protection that helps to keep the cover in decent shape year after year. Also, it the snow gets too deep on the top, I'll use a roof rake to pull the snow off. I like take care of that fun traveling "investment" the best I can.

I would never NOT use a cover over the winter.
vitonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:55 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I make a point to to take my Class B out and drive it every month all winter to run the engine and recharge the van and house batteries. I also run my Espar heater for 20 min or so every month as recommended. I don't have a generator but if I did I would run that every month as recommended. I have an indoor storage space so this is easy but it would be a pain in the butt if I had to take a cover off every time. I think you could make the point that running everything monthly for the 4-5 month winter is more important that keeping the sun and elements off the exterior. I would do the same thing if I had a car sitting outside all winter.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
I live in Southern California. Have had my PW van for 6 years. Always stored outside without a cover. Yes, the tires deteriorate quicker but I usually change tires by date rather than mileage. I would not recommend covering the vehicle. These vehicles are like cars so proper washing/waxing really is all that is required.
Tire covers are inexpensive, as is UV protectant if you are concerned about sun exposure.
MiddKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 05:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
I make a point to to take my Class B out and drive it every month all winter to run the engine and recharge the van and house batteries. I also run my Espar heater for 20 min or so every month as recommended. I don't have a generator but if I did I would run that every month as recommended. I have an indoor storage space so this is easy but it would be a pain in the butt if I had to take a cover off every time. I think you could make the point that running everything monthly for the 4-5 month winter is more important that keeping the sun and elements off the exterior. I would do the same thing if I had a car sitting outside all winter.
I like that approach, too - and I especially appreciate the comment about the generator. It's clear to me from the reading I've done that they need to be exercised and used at regular intervals just as much as the rest of the van. You may have convinced me to take that approach.
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 05:15 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
I also run my Espar heater for 20 min or so every month as recommended.
Recommended by who? Eberspächer? I have never heard this.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 06:42 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Recommended by who? Eberspächer? I have never heard this.
Besides simple common sense that it is logical to run any gas engine regularly, my Sprinter Freightliner dealer (that installs bunk heaters into every semi-truck that they sell), they recommended that I run it for 20 min every month on a high setting. I also buy my Espar maintenance parts from this Espar dealer and they also recommend this as part of their maintenance schedule as in their guide. It makes perfect sense to me but to each his own.

https://esparparts.com/preventative-...ance-n-21.html
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 06:56 PM   #29
Site Team

Sorry, but it doesn't make sense to me. These heaters are NOTHING like ICE engines. They are external combustion, no carburetor or automotive-style fuel injection. I service these things myself, and I am well-familiar with how they work and what their failure modes are. They have sophisticated shut-down protocols that leave the burner fuel-free. I can't imagine what good regular running could accomplish. In fact, start-up is probably the hardest part of their use cycle, since the glow-plug is involved and the system is not at operating temperature. I would certainly not go out of my way to do unnecessary starts.

These devices DO need regular maintenance, but that involves replacing the combuistion screen and cleaning the chamber. This is called for maybe every 1000 hours. If you really want to treat it nicely, run it for an hour on kerosene once a year. It works wonders for keeping everything nice and clean.

P.S. -- It is not a good idea to periodically run "gas engines" either (although for different reasons), "simple common-sense" notwithstanding.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 07:30 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Besides simple common sense that it is logical to run any gas engine regularly, my Sprinter Freightliner dealer (that installs bunk heaters into every semi-truck that they sell), they recommended that I run it for 20 min every month on a high setting. I also buy my Espar maintenance parts from this Espar dealer and they also recommend this as part of their maintenance schedule as in their guide. It makes perfect sense to me but to each his own.

https://esparparts.com/preventative-...ance-n-21.html

I gotta agree with Avanti on this, at least related to IC engines. Can't speak to gas heaters as I have never had one, although when I see all the problems at high elevations and maintenance needed, my propane furnace is looking better every day. The hassle of propane not looking like a major issue at all by comparison.

If you aren't going to run the engine for at least an hour on highway you still probably cause more issues than you solve, maybe from residual water depending on how cold it is, how far you drive slow until parked, etc. It is guaranteed the battery won't charge to full in that time, or probably ever, if it is much under 10+F. But the biggest damage you do is put an extra long time sitting (a month) dry start with cold oil on the engine. Watch how long it takes for the oil pressure to come and consider how the internals like running with no lubrication after totally draining back. Various studies show that cold starts can make up most of the wear in engines and explains why delivery vans can go so many miles, especially if highway based couriers who would start once and drive lots of miles.

IMO, the best thing you can do to minimize wear is to add an engine prelubrication system so you never have a totally dry start and literally can have oil pressure before the engine is even turned over. And don't drive it every month in the winter.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 07:47 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Sorry, but it doesn't make sense to me. These heaters are NOTHING like ICE engines. They are external combustion, no carburetor or automotive-style fuel injection. I service these things myself, and I am well-familiar with how they work and what their failure modes are. They have sophisticated shut-down protocols that leave the burner fuel-free. I can't imagine what good regular running could accomplish. In fact, start-up is probably the hardest part of their use cycle, since the glow-plug is involved and the system is not at operating temperature. I would certainly not go out of my way to do unnecessary starts.

These devices DO need regular maintenance, but that involves replacing the combuistion screen and cleaning the chamber. This is called for maybe every 1000 hours. If you really want to treat it nicely, run it for an hour on kerosene once a year. It works wonders for keeping everything nice and clean.

P.S. -- It is not a good idea to periodically run "gas engines" either (although for different reasons), "simple common-sense" notwithstanding.
I agree, there is no reason to maintain – which in actuality is carbon deposit removal for an unused furnace, carbon deposit is deposited only during operation. I would like to ask folks promoting running maintenance once per month what this “maintenance” actually does to the furnace. In addition, as already pointed correctly by Avanti starting a furnace is the most harmful time period when unwanted carbon will be deposited.

A potential problem with these furnaces is fuel breakdown over long period of time, years. Most of these furnaces run at least once per year so fuel breakdown should not be an issue.

I have two furnaces, Hydronic and Airtronics. My maintenance it to run for 30 min on high after a couple of weeks of usage on Airtronics and a little longer on Hydronics
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 08:27 PM   #32
Platinum Member

I have an Elwell Timberline heater and the user manual states
"It is recommended to exercise the burner every month letting the burner run for 15-20 minutes. If the burner is utilized monthly there is no annual or hour based maintenance required."
They don't say why and the only annual maintenance they mention is testing the coolant for alkalinity.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 08:46 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post
"It is recommended to exercise the burner every month letting the burner run for 15-20 minutes. If the burner is utilized monthly there is no annual or hour based maintenance required."
They don't say why and the only annual maintenance they mention is testing the coolant for alkalinity.

They also don't say if that is in periods when it is stored or in use. Not a very useful recommendation, I think.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:07 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post
Timberline is using Russian furnaces, could be translation issue.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 12:45 AM   #35

Most of you commenting are dealing with regular below
freezing temperatures during winter months. Great advice.

What would winter preservation protocols would you recommend
for those of us using exterior storage in a temperate climate where below freezing temperatures occur maybe 5-6 times, and where the batteries are exposed at the rear of the chassis, without any heating unit supplied by manufacturer. Most winter low temps are in the 40s-50s??

My how we suffer when temps hit the 30s!
Estoniankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:45 PM   #36

I live in Huntington Beach, CA. We have a 21’ Class B, 1999 Coachmen Starflyte on a Ford E350 chassis and have always kept it in our driveway since purchasing it about 10 years ago. Like having it there, to check on, pack, clean, do any maintenance, etc. I love the quick prep to go on a trip, especially when I see my neighbors who store their/larger rigs, prep for several days.
As far as wear, I use a windshield shades or a cover, and since all the other windows are tinted/uv protected and have blackout shades, sun damage is not an issue, except for as others mentioned tires/rubber seals and plastic parts. I don’t worry about tire damage from the sun, because they will hit their age limit before that happens, same as our other autos. I just wax it a couple times a year and use uv spray/Armor All type on any exposed rubber/tires/window seals. As far as plastic parts which tend to yellow like my outdoor speaker covers/vents/clips, I have used a Rustoleum spray paint to make them look like new and protect from uv.
I run full synthetic oil and filter and run the engine once every week or two when not using. I also cycle the A/C to keep seals lubricated, and run the trans through its gears. If a couple months go by, I will run it around the block so that it doesn’t sit on the same tire spots. I have an alarm and that along with the engine computer would drain the battery some, so I bought a small solar panel that keeps my battery charged. It’s an 8 or 10 watt panel that plugs into a lighter socket or can clip to the battery and cost about $40 on Amazon, has overcharge protection and works great. Since I already have two 100 watt panels on the roof for the coach battery, it is always topped off when stored.
Use that saved storage money for those other little things you might need or want.
We have put just under 50,000 miles on our rig, after completing a trip to Alaska last summer. Headed to Texas this coming spring for the eclipse then on to Florida. Anyhow, good luck on a purchase and happy travels!
Scott
dingo is offline   Reply With Quote