Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2023, 09:20 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Time for Brakes

My 2008C210P just hit 191,000 miles and I am probably looking at brake service soon. The Rear Pads/Rotors have 88,000 miles and the Front has 79,000 since new Pads/Rotors. When I had the front done at 111,000 it had the shimmy/shudder disease on even moderate braking. The local Chevrolet Truck dealership installed the highest grade Pad/Rotor combination they had available and I have had no problems in 79,000 miles through quite a bit of mountain driving so I am happy with the performance.

I know that Booster has upgraded his brake system and I am sure that others have done so also. Considering that I have been satisfied with what I have, do any of you have suggestions for replacement pads? Also, it is necessary to replace the rotors at every pad change?

I have received a lot of good information from this forum, and occasionally contribute my two cents worth also.

Thanks to all participants of the forum.
John
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 11:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
My 2008C210P just hit 191,000 miles and I am probably looking at brake service soon. The Rear Pads/Rotors have 88,000 miles and the Front has 79,000 since new Pads/Rotors. When I had the front done at 111,000 it had the shimmy/shudder disease on even moderate braking. The local Chevrolet Truck dealership installed the highest grade Pad/Rotor combination they had available and I have had no problems in 79,000 miles through quite a bit of mountain driving so I am happy with the performance.

I know that Booster has upgraded his brake system and I am sure that others have done so also. Considering that I have been satisfied with what I have, do any of you have suggestions for replacement pads? Also, it is necessary to replace the rotors at every pad change?

I have received a lot of good information from this forum, and occasionally contribute my two cents worth also.

John

Without knowing what the dealer used, it is impossible to tell if they were the best you could do or not, and it might even be hard to duplicate at the same dealer if they don't have a good record of what they used.

You might start with any paperwork you have, or what you can get from the dealer about the last time you got them done. If you are good with the results there is little reason to go to something else, I think.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 12:33 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post

John
A key question: were you happy with the braking performance? I found the OEM brakes did not stop the heavy 210P like I wanted. The OEM brakes were hardly worn at 40k miles, but those hard brakes just did not stop well. I changed to the Hawk brake pads and front rotor that booster recommended. The van stopped much better. I have about 100k miles on these and they still have a lot of life left.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote