Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #1

Default Tire help regarding purchase

Hello Everyone,

New to forum and also class B traveling. Just bought a 2014 Winnebago 170 Era with the original tires. The tires look good and only have 22,000 mile on them but since they were put on the van in 2013 I am wondering if I should replace them. If yes, can I please get advice on the best brand to buy and where to purchase them.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Matilda
kgmik@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

8 year old tires no matter the mileage on the looks of them can always be suspect. Normally tires don’t last that long but if a van hasn’t been driven they can and rubber ages. You may get by on short trips but long day drives at highway speeds could stress them. That’s the dilemma with many Class Bs stored a long time without being driven.

I think the best tires for Sprinters are Michelins. The current favorite are Michelin Agilis LTX tires. I got them off the bat in my new van as an upgrade than the Vanco Four Seasons Merecedes Benz offered as a base tire before. Vanco’s lasted about 35-40.000 miles before I replaced all my past vans with Michelins. Michelins were a 70,000 mile tire. I’ve always got good service and price with Discount Tire and they are nation wide in case I am traveling and need of service. I never had to need them. I am approaching 230,000 miles on 4 Sprinter vans. I’ve only got 2,500 miles on my current fourth Sprinter.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

What Davydd said. I'm in Phoenix and changed my tires after 5 years. They are subject to deterioration more rapidly in the desert. My van is old: 97 Pleasureway. But I recently put on Michelin Agilis LTX tires recently.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:01 PM   #4

Default Thanks

Davydd & GallenH,

Thanks for your quick reply 👍. Yes I have heard that the age is always suspect even with little milage but was having wishful thinking about not replacing. You both reinforced sensibility to me about getting new tires. Big $$$ but better in front of my adventures then being stranded and paying more because of an emergency.

Matilda
Old 06-28-2021, 06:01 PM   #5
Platinum Member

shop around, my experience ( which I have posted on last May) lead me to discount tire chain who price matched costco ( who did not have the tires readily available)

I printed out the price quote page from costco and took it in, discount tire called to confirm

I was out the door under $800 for 4 michelin agilis 245/75r/16 the load range or index needs to meet your weight- specs should be on a sticker on the driver door pillar

any shop you call, tell them you have an RV which is x tall and weighs Y
to ensure they can deal with it

my discount tire used floor jacks, which is fine, the van only needs be up 1"

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:42 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Agree completely 💯 percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
What Davydd said. I'm in Phoenix and changed my tires after 5 years. They are subject to deterioration more rapidly in the desert. My van is old: 97 Pleasureway. But I recently put on Michelin Agilis LTX tires recently.
Heat is a major factor with tires; and here in SoCal I replace my tires regardless of mileage every 5 years.

You can't put a price on your personal safety. Just drive the vehicle and enjoy it. Mileage is unimportant on tires; it's all about condition.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:50 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default FMCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgmik@yahoo.com View Post
Davydd & GallenH,

Thanks for your quick reply 👍. Yes I have heard that the age is always suspect even with little milage but was having wishful thinking about not replacing. You both reinforced sensibility to me about getting new tires. Big $$$ but better in front of my adventures then being stranded and paying more because of an emergency.

Matilda
Matilda, if you didn't know the Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA) has a great tire discount program. In fact, the savings you'll get on the tire purchase will certainly pay for your membership.

There's other benefits to this as well, check them out. And, good call on replacing your tires. I've known a few people who didn't and regretted it. They fortunately avoided a roll over accident, but, it was a harrowing experience. You certainly want to avoid that at all costs.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:33 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Old tires can get hard which makes it difficult to stop as they just lock up. You will especially notice this as you slide through intersections when it is raining.
Dry rot and explosions are other hazards.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #9
Silver Member

I'll jump on the Michelin Agilis bandwagon. They're an All Weather tire, not just All Season. We drove over 10 and 11,000 ft. passes in snowstorms this past April with no slipping. I was very happy.
Nspekter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Michelin Agilis LTX. Most folks seem to agree I think ��
JPMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:28 PM   #11

Default Tires

Thanks to everyone who replied. Decided on the Michelin Agilis based on all your helpful reviews. Just ordered thru Costco as best price and today there is a discount savings because of July 4th. Now need to find a shop to mount them as Costco won't because of the clearance/stuff mounted under the B. Much more to think about with a little motorhome then a trailer. Once the tires are on then onward to adventures. WooHoo!

Also want to say “Thank you for your service” to those who have served.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:11 AM   #12

I was so happy to see this thread as we are in the market for tires for our 2016 Pleasure Way Lexor on the Promaster chassis. We looked at the specs for the Agilis and they say that the limit is 2000lbs per tire. The Lexor is 9300 lbs +/-. Do Sprinters weigh less?
Am I missing something? Thanks all.
CarolMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:35 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Do Sprinters weigh less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMerrell View Post
I was so happy to see this thread as we are in the market for tires for our 2016 Pleasure Way Lexor on the Promaster chassis. We looked at the specs for the Agilis and they say that the limit is 2000lbs per tire. The Lexor is 9300 lbs +/-. Do Sprinters weigh less?
Well, as with anything, that all depends on which model Sprinter you're talking about.....

My 2012 RS Adventurous is on the 3500 chassis and my total weight capacity is 11,030 ...I have dual wheels on the back of the rig.....

As far as I know, there's no Dodge Promaster with dual wheels. And, the Sprinter is a RWD platform.

We normally are operating with all of our gear, tanks at full capacity and the two of us around 9,250 pounds approximately.. I never want to be at the limit.....

But, with a full load I still have almost 1,800 pounds of extra weight capacity leftover.

I love the dual wheels.... I never worry about being overloaded.

I have Michelin Defenders on my RV, but, next time I will get the Agillis tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210322_013538258.jpg (342.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-06-2021, 03:02 AM   #14
Platinum Member

I have no idea why you got a Sprinter wonderfullness blurb about dual rear wheels that you don't have, but whatever.

It appears you looked at different Agilis, I think is what you would want, at 3195# rating.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...o%20Commercial
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:07 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Default Interesting.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I have no idea why you got a Sprinter wonderfullness blurb about dual rear wheels that you don't have, but whatever.

It appears you looked at different Agilis, I think is what you would want, at 3195# rating.

I was just pointing out that Sprinters definitely can weigh more than Dodge Promaster models....

Was this comment about me not having dual wheels directed at me????
Old 07-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I was just pointing out that Sprinters definitely can weigh more than Dodge Promaster models....

Was this comment about me not having dual wheels directed at me????

It was just a comment about people filling up a thread with garbage and not addressing the questions asked, and was addressed at the question asker who does not have dual wheels.

The question was about Agilis tires, or other tires, for a Promaster and tire load capacity. Nothing at all related to a Sprinters, or how much a Sprinter weighs, or dual wheels, except to ask if they were lighter than a Promaster, which takes a one word answer "no" for a dually, and an "about the same" for a single wheel one. (edited for clarity)

People ask questions because they need the answers, not to get a bunch of unrelated stuff about other things.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:08 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Default This question about Sprinter weight opened the door to this conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMerrell View Post

No comment.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:00 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:

Wow, the best description of the related post. I would add Sprint.....er ... wonder.....full.....ness.......................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:09 PM   #19
Platinum Member

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George, well, what's interesting about the post above is the fact that,

I ACTUALLY HAVE dual wheels on my 2012 RS Adventurous...

..I don't know what this person is talking about, but, it's incorrect. Oh well......
Old 07-06-2021, 09:25 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George, well, what's interesting about the post above is the fact that,

I ACTUALLY HAVE dual wheels on my 2012 RS Adventurous...

..I don't know what this person is talking about, but, it's incorrect. Oh well......

I mentioned earlier that it was actually addressing the person who asked the question.

Quote:
It was just a comment about people filling up a thread with garbage and not addressing the questions asked, and was addressed at the question asker who does not have dual wheels.

The question askers deserve answers to their inquiries, not the same old repeated post we have seen in multiple discussions lately.

We all know who has dual tires and thinks they are the greatest thing in the world because we have seen it in writing many, many, times.

Mods will probably boot all this above, but hopefully save the original question and the given probable answer to that question, which is fine with me.