Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Were they the bolt in style? Short versions of them have been very reliable from all I have ever seen or heard.
Yes. And I agree. That's why there no more external TPMS sendors attached to my valve stems.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:57 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Really getting "into the weeds" on this one. I use the Truck System Technologies sealed lithium batteries hybrid sensor, they say it's good for 3 to 5 years from the time you install it. I set my tire pressure and it's set, I'm not going to fool around with this unless one of the sensors fails to operate and when 36 months passes, I'll keep an eye on the sensors, if one of more of them start to fail, I'll just replace all 6 of them with brand new sensors. Sure, they sell the battery versions for the same price, but, you have to be careful when you replace those batteries every year to get the seal exactly correct. Wheels go through a lot of water. I'm flying with the sealed lithium's.

I started with their battery sensor, and you know what, the batteries fail at the most inconvenient time.

I figure if they use these sensors on "commercial trucks" and that is their core business, I'm pretty confident that they'll work for my Sprinter. So, far, they are perfect. I'd be more concerned about a valve extension leak or fail than the tire pressure monitoring system.

Yes, Truck System Technologies systems are NOT inexpensive, but , I've found them to be a very good product and their customer service over the phone is EXCELLENT.

Remember that "price" is only one factor..... the real question is "can you work with them". I've found that answer to be YES.

For the few times that I travel to mountainous areas, I'm not going to worry about it or even get overly concerned, that's what I have roadside assistance for.

Listen, just enjoy your RV, camping and outdoor activities when you can and be safe from the Coronavirus. There's a lot more things to worry about right now.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #23
Platinum Member

for me with the $40 amazon system...the prime use is to see a sudden loss of pressure such as if I hit road debris

I had 2 blow outs* ( on brand new tires) in a week a few years ago and it's a concern

mike

* the first a roofing nail, the second the valve stem ( 2 days old- same wheel) failed and the top w/ valve blew off
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:15 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Really getting "into the weeds" on this one. I use the Truck System Technologies sealed lithium batteries hybrid sensor, they say it's good for 3 to 5 years from the time you install it. I set my tire pressure and it's set, I'm not going to fool around with this unless one of the sensors fails to operate and when 36 months passes, I'll keep an eye on the sensors, if one of more of them start to fail, I'll just replace all 6 of them with brand new sensors. Sure, they sell the battery versions for the same price, but, you have to be careful when you replace those batteries every year to get the seal exactly correct. Wheels go through a lot of water. I'm flying with the sealed lithium's.

I started with their battery sensor, and you know what, the batteries fail at the most inconvenient time.

I figure if they use these sensors on "commercial trucks" and that is their core business, I'm pretty confident that they'll work for my Sprinter. So, far, they are perfect. I'd be more concerned about a valve extension leak or fail than the tire pressure monitoring system.

Yes, Truck System Technologies systems are NOT inexpensive, but , I've found them to be a very good product and their customer service over the phone is EXCELLENT.

Remember that "price" is only one factor..... the real question is "can you work with them". I've found that answer to be YES.

For the few times that I travel to mountainous areas, I'm not going to worry about it or even get overly concerned, that's what I have roadside assistance for.

Listen, just enjoy your RV, camping and outdoor activities when you can and be safe from the Coronavirus. There's a lot more things to worry about right now.

The point of this was not, and is not, intended to tell you to adjust any pressures, and in fact it says it really shouldn't be necessary.

The thread is to let people know what to expect from their tire sensors when the change elevation, as many do think there is a need to do that pressure change (reduction). If you reduce the pressure for elevation, like is recommended many places, and then the van sits overnight at cold temps, you will have low tire pressure when you start out. I thought, and still do, that many folks would like to understand how to not have that low pressure situation happen by doing LESS effort rather than more. If you chose not to want to understand it, your choice, but it doesn't take away that there is a lot of bad information and recommendations out there on elevation changes to tire pressures, and even fewer people know that there are two different kinds of sensors (beside inside and outside) that will read differently, even on the same tire, when elevation changes.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:37 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Default Agree completely 💯 percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The point of this was not, and is not, intended to tell you to adjust any pressures, and in fact it says it really shouldn't be necessary.

The thread is to let people know what to expect from their tire sensors when the change elevation, as many do think there is a need to do that pressure change (reduction). If you reduce the pressure for elevation, like is recommended many places, and then the van sits overnight at cold temps, you will have low tire pressure when you start out. I thought, and still do, that many folks would like to understand how to not have that low pressure situation happen by doing LESS effort rather than more. If you chose not to want to understand it, your choice, but it doesn't take away that there is a lot of bad information and recommendations out there on elevation changes to tire pressures, and even fewer people know that there are two different kinds of sensors (beside inside and outside) that will read differently, even on the same tire, when elevation changes.

I know.

And, when we've traveled across the USA in the van or the cars, I NEVER adjust tire pressure.

YES, I understood your point quite clearly the first time which is WHY I said, I set the "tire pressure" and forget it.

Hope you're doing well during the Coronovirus pandemic. I appreciate your reply and also for the contributions you've made especially concerning my battery monitoring system. If it were not for your contribution about the Victron BMV 712, and the "state of charge", I would still be hopping around not knowing my full batteries status, so, thank for that. I can be taught
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote