Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2020, 02:18 PM   #81
Silver Member

We have a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter and I definitely would be inclined to go the other way here: get the Transit!

The main "why" is the reason you stated about dealer networks. Authorized MB Sprinter service centers are hard to come by and Fords can just about be fixed anywhere. Luckily in the 3-and-a-half years owning our Sprinter we have been fortunate that malfunctions and servicing have always occurred near an authorized service center.

A secondary "why" and our main problem so far is that while your entry price might be cheaper, I guarantee that your comparative repair and maintenance costs will be significantly greater at Mercedes-Benz. It goes with the brand.

A point of interest: You stated "relatively big shower". Is that a wet bath? Will you have a composting toilet?

Good Luck!

Ray Brown
Ormond-by-the-Sea
Florida
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #82
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrski View Post
Here is my 2 cents worth:
1. Start with delivery availability. [...]
If I order it today Ford can be delivered for Christmas, MB in January

Quote:
2. Look at the Master Upfitter programs [...]
Promaster is not on my short list. I just don't like the idea of FWD big van. I know, there is many of them and in Europe they have Transits FWD, but I stay with either RWD Transit or Sprinter.

Quote:
3. Gas or Diesel..... Gas is more convenient, doesn't stink your hands to pump fuel, isn't a problem in winter, and until recently a buck a gallon cheaper than diesel.
Driving 18-wheeler everyday and fueling it at the end of each day I have no problem with that stink. However diesel still is on average 15-20% more expensive to buy.

Quote:
For van conversion: diesel can be all of your fuel needs... diesel heat, diesel bbq, diesel generator, your won't need propane tank, and that space can be used for a second diesel tank...
We are planning to go "all electric" plus Webasto for cold nights, but Webasto can be either diesel, or gas fueled.

Quote:
Maneuvering in normal driving, not an issue if you have had a pickup or full SUV, or pulled trailers
I've been driving big rigs since 1982, have over 5 million miles under those 18-wheels. I suspect I'll manage how to handle a van.

Quote:
A word of caution, more and more states have car seat laws with $$+ fines to considered in your decisions.
What is it? That car seat law?

Quote:
Look at the aftermarket stuff from cabinets, to tie down systems, etc. May look expensive, but build-it-yourself looks easy.. Not.
Easy or not, we will have 2 years to do our project, but we will look at aftermarket stuff.

Quote:
INSULATION. Hot, cold and noise are all solved with insulation. Insulate over all metal without seems at the metal. Watch for moisture problems, and gaps that collect dirt.
We think we'll go with thinsulate, https://faroutride.com/insulation/

Quote:
Nobody keeps their first Class B forever. If you love it, you will start planning your second one. ...
Only time will tell. However I spent in the cab of the truck hundreds of nights. Had only narrow bed, fridge, microwave, small table with a chair - and it was enough for me. I am not sure if that would be enough for my wife...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.brusanowski View Post
There is no way around this for me— Sprinter chassis, as stylish as it is, is simply too narrow. Especially for two people.
I am not sure if couple of inches make real difference. It will be small either way. Here is a rough plan of our vision, in short Sprinter or mid-size Transit:

We could use few more inches, but we can live without them. BTW that table near the bed swivels, so one can gain access to the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I agree that Sprinter is narrower than Promaster by about 2” but it is perfectly good for us and many other folks. Impact of the width dimension is primarily on left/right bed orientation. Our bed orientation is fore aft and we are OK with our 144” WB Sprinter.
In the Transit there is enough room to go "sideways", in the Sprinter body flares would be nesesery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungawoosie View Post
I would fast forward and get the Winnebago’s Revel 4x4
To expensive, no shower, not for old folks like me. Good choice for "weekenders" on fishing trip, not for someone who will stay weeks on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I will welcome the extra width of my eventual Transit, but it is the extra height that I am really looking forward to.
Another option we are considering is a bdrop down bed, with table/convertible coaches underneath and for that plan extra height would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
188hp is 188hp is 188hp, no matter the torque, fuel, day of the week or weight of the vehicle.
Not quite. Motorcycle engine spinning to 12000 RPM with that power is not the same as 3-litter turbodiesel engine with read zone at 4500 RPM. And force turning the wheels is the torque, however what counts is the torque at the wheels, not at the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
A point of interest: You stated "relatively big shower". Is that a wet bath? Will you have a composting toilet?

Good Luck!
The answer is yes and yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The Ford would probably have a very low, and quite narrow high torque band so would not be able to get it to run in the highest hp rpm range most of the time without a lot gears it doesn't have. That is why the big rigs all have traditionally had 18 speeds, as they had huge torque, narrow power band, engines.
Not that many trucks actually had 18-speed transmissions. I never had one, usually I had 9, or 10, or 13-speed and the reason for that many gears was simple: Big trucks turn only to 2000 RPM and useful range was 1500-2000. Modern trucks runs strong from 1000 RPM and for the sake of fuel saving drivers often do not go over 1500 RPM.

Ecoboost engine have surprisingly wide and flat torque band. https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/...formance.2705/ It is amazing how turbo engines changed in last 30 years. I had a 1986 Saab 9000 Turbo, 2 liter engine, 175 HP - below 3000 RPM that car was very slow and weak, but at that point, when accelerating with flooring loud pedal, tires were spinning on first two gears and car was flying. Now I have 2-liter turbo BMW 328i, 250 HP and that car is strong and responsive from very low RPMs. No need to keep it over 3K revolutions, actually no need to ever go over 3000 RPM.
Polonus is offline   Reply With Quote