Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2023, 08:30 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Vehicle Battery

After a new alternator, battery separator and three batteries.. more vehicle death.
When it occurs, clicking turnover sounds stop and then nothing, not even remote key fob. Battery cables were checked and rechecked at service centers. The battery shows good charge.

Finally, a roadside assistant with Progressive showed me the loose (again) positive battery cable but also a bungled side mount battery receptor. Either different people have overtightened three different batteries or something goes on while driving a heavy vehicle. I will chase this down this week and hope for the best.
tarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 03:59 PM   #2

A mechanic pointed out to us that the posts on chassis batteries often have weak threads that are easy to over tighten, striiping the threads and compromising the connections to the battery. We drive a 2008 Roadtrek Popular 210 on a 2008 Chevy Express 3500 chassis.
be-gentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 04:37 PM   #3
Bronze Member

it sounds like you are saying you have been having this no-start problem and have replaced the battery 3 times to address it. and it sounds like you have someone other than you change the battery out each time. let me suggest to try and tackle this task yourself if at all possible. when you do a job yourself you often learn things like the battery cable connection threads are stripped, or there is corrosion on a connection...plus you know how tight connections are made. perhaps there is a problem with the starter....again it could be the connections at the starter or the starter itself. crawl under with a flashlight, locate the connections at the starter and see if they look corroded and if they are tight. there is a saying about if you want a job done right.....sometimes it is true. good luck.
SQUASHMIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 05:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Check the ground connection, both from the battery to the chassis and any woven ground cables that connect the engine block to the chassis.
Old 09-17-2023, 05:52 PM   #5

We had a similar situation with our 2012 Chevrolet Express 3500. The threads on the OEM terminals had become partially stripped. This solved the problem. Less than $10.00 on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22437871875...mis&media=COPY
tomnorman457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 11:59 PM   #6

Another thing to check are the actual battery cables. I had a bad positive cable that was not externally apparent, but caused symptoms similar to those you describe. Lot cheaper fix than a new battery.
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 03:38 PM   #7
Silver Member

Yes to the replies about a stripped bolt on the post of the positive side mount battery.

I wish I had posted earlier, insisted with more vigor about the possibility, and visited an electrical shop here first.

Thanks all.
tarp is offline   Reply With Quote