Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #821
Platinum Member

Default Yep, yes, & yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
...Again, myself, the only currently available color I think looks "cheap" with the stock bumpers is silver. I love the 2 tone red. We are buying the solid charcoal though because that was what was coming in. Just didn't want to wait 12 weeks for a special order.
As far as options on the '19's? For the ruggedness get the stock cloth seat covers. The new Seitz windows? We think they are way overpriced, so not getting, but the ones that have gotten them, love them. Doing some off paved roads kinda things will scratch them when they get hit by branches etc.
Otherwise, there's not much left in options anymore. Just colors, windows and leather front seats are the important ones to consider. And of course the KO2's, but not from WGO....
Agree wholehearted that the silver with the stock bumpers looks cheap but I like the ruggedness and durability of the stock bumpers - so that leaves only Granite. With you on the red too - nice looking color.

I want the cloth seats because I do think they would be more durable and I actually prefer the looks but wife nixed that - she thinks the leather looks more premium (probably right about that) and I concur leather makes it easier to clean up spills.

I think we are going to go with the dual pane windows for the thermal and especially noise insulating properties. I also am disappointed that the standard "headboard" windows do not open - only with the dual panes.

So with you on the K02's, come on Winnebago just offer them as an option. If I want them I have to "eat" the cost of the stock tires - just a waste.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:46 PM   #822
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
I think we are going to go with the dual pane windows for the thermal and especially noise insulating properties. I also am disappointed that the standard "headboard" windows do not open - only with the dual panes.
Apparently the dual pane windowsoption is not covered by any of the WGO warranty provisions so unless the manufacturer of these windows provides some recourse, if they fail, you're outta luck.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:57 AM   #823
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Apparently the dual pane windowsoption is not covered by any of the WGO warranty provisions so unless the manufacturer of these windows provides some recourse, if they fail, you're outta luck.
Just the installation of said windows. Not the window itself. Too easily damaged and delicate

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:01 AM   #824
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
Just the installation of said windows. Not the window itself. Too easily damaged and delicate
If I understand you correctly, the window itself has some warranty? By who, where and for how long?
Old 04-25-2018, 01:08 AM   #825
Platinum Member

Quote:
If I understand you correctly, the window itself has some warranty? By who, where and for how long?
I believe they are Seitz brand windows which used to be distributed here in North America by Dometic.
Key words I believe. Not sure anymore....

Old 04-25-2018, 02:44 AM   #826
Platinum Member

Assuming they are real Dometic Seitz windows and not Chinese knock-offs they are really not delicate or easily damaged. The Seitz is used extensively around the world with excellent results.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:06 AM   #827
Platinum Member

Quote:
I actually prefer last year's standard windows over all of them but that's not an option for 2019. I liked the size and openness of the two big windows versus the 2019 configuration of three smaller windows. But I like all the other things about the 2019 so we'll most likely roll with that.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:46 AM   #828
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
I actually prefer last year's standard windows over all of them but that's not an option for 2019. I liked the size and openness of the two big windows versus the 2019 configuration of three smaller windows. But I like all the other things about the 2019 so we'll most likely roll with that.
There's still some 2018's out there....

Old 04-25-2018, 04:53 AM   #829
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Assuming they are real Dometic Seitz windows and not Chinese knock-offs they are really not delicate or easily damaged. The Seitz is used extensively around the world with excellent results.
Used in a home and commercial construction they udoubtedly do very well and the technology has progressed to the point that some OEMs offer lifetime warranties for their dual and triple pane windows. I just wonder if the bouncing and thumping sustained in an RV isn't a more taxing environment. I know they are also successfully used in Class A but I think that the shorter wheel base in a class B invites more impact jouncing, vibration and twisting. Since Dometic is the parent company for these windows I'm going to inquire of them regarding what Seitz warranty they support.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:37 PM   #830
Platinum Member

Quote:
Used in a home and commercial construction they udoubtedly do very well and the technology has progressed to the point that some OEMs offer lifetime warranties for their dual and triple pane windows. I just wonder if the bouncing and thumping sustained in an RV isn't a more taxing environment. I know they are also successfully used in Class A but I think that the shorter wheel base in a class B invites more impact jouncing, vibration and twisting. Since Dometic is the parent company for these windows I'm going to inquire of them regarding what Seitz warranty they support.
The Seitz windows have been used in Class B camper vans in Europe forever with no major issues...

Even EarthRoamer uses them in their outrageously expensive trucks but they get a lot of heat for not using double pane glass instead.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #831
Platinum Member

I've had the Sietz windows before and have no reservations about ordering that option. WGO warranty is only 1 year anyways (except for the Li battery pack). If true that there is no warranty on them (which frankly I doubt), then all you need to do is inspect each one carefully upon delivery and just refuse to accept the van if there are any with defects. If they are good on delivery day, then most likely they will be fine. If you scratch or break one, really that should be on you and not a warranty claim.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #832
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Ram promaster is to low to be a consistent forest service roads vehicle in my opinion. ...Just a mild incline can cause bottoming out. your onan will scrape a lot
I agree @gerrym51
I looked at the Travato 59K too - and albeit it looked perfect for camping in RV resorts, I was similarly concerned about the unpaved or forest roads.
I measured the clearance - it is approx 8" on the standard 59K.
The RoadTreks which have the underhood generator, probably have less
jharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:27 PM   #833
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
On my new van, I opted for the non-painted bumper covers. ...I also ordered a brush guard and some off-road lights to go with it.

I don't see the benefit of going with a bigger tire - it's not so big to help you, but causes alot of issues - speedo re-calibration, heavier (un-sprung weight), loosing your mudflaps and having to do some ugly trimming on your brand new plastic wheel trim. The 225's will do the job fine without any of those issues. I plan on painting an extra set of wheels I have black and mounting the KO2's on them. Still mulling if I'll go white letter or just black.

With the sumos, better tires, and front wheel drive, I really don't see any impediments to going anywhere I'd like to go.
I agree @wincrasher - the non-painted bumpers are quite acceptable on the Granite.
I also agree with the headache of bigger tires

One question for you though - how much for the additional cost of the Sumos, and where did you get them installed?
Old 05-02-2018, 10:35 PM   #834
Gold Member

Default Carrying Odd Loads

After considering the Banff (which is junk in my opinion) and the Zion (overpriced), I have settled for the Travato 59K
However, there remains a question of carrying long or odd loads - so I would appreciate any suggestion -
Kayaks and other light long loads can be carried on the roof, but what about the shorter heavier ones? For example, how do you carry a Coleman or NexGrill barbecue?
On the RoadTrek, there are some tie-down hooks along the bed. None in the 59K or even in the 59G.
Do you "strap" the barbecue with the seat-belts to one of the beds?

What about extra water cans?
I have a Casita Travel Trailer, and these items are trivial to carry using an "over the tank" platform on the tongue.
I didn't have to think twice.

But with the Travato, I am not sure... and I don't see any posts related to such common (or uncommon) questions
Old 05-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #835
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharu View Post
NexGrill barbecue?
On the RoadTrek, there are some tie-down hooks along the bed. None in the 59K or even in the 59G.
Do you "strap" the barbecue with the seat-belts to one of the beds?
Consider down sizing the barbecue which generally is much larger than you need for something like the Iwatani.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.PRB9BtApZ2I
Old 05-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #836
Platinum Member

Default Travato Soft-Roading

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharu View Post
I agree @gerrym51
I looked at the Travato 59K too - and albeit it looked perfect for camping in RV resorts, I was similarly concerned about the unpaved or forest roads.
I measured the clearance - it is approx 8" on the standard 59K.
The RoadTreks which have the underhood generator, probably have less
Hey jharu, I believe the ground clearance of the Travato is closer to 6-6.5", which is pretty low for navigating forest and fire service roads. Worse, the low point is the rear axle which runs the entire width of the van. We are going to have to be careful and drive slowly on the dirt roads - which is prudent anyway with a camper van.

I spent a lot of time researching larger tires and in the end I too decided it's not worth it. A slightly larger tire can be fitted but there are reported issues of clearance inside the wheel wells. I'd really like a slightly wider tire but the stock rim is already at the width limit with the stock tires. So, I am going to powdercoat the stock rims and after I wear out the stock tires change to a set of the same size T/A K02 tires.

I'm going to have whichever dealer we choose for our Travato install the SumoSprings in the rear to gain about one inch of extra clearance for the coach (but the rear axel height doesn't change). I am getting quotes of around $535 installed but they look pretty easy to install yourself and you can order them online everywhere.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:19 PM   #837
Platinum Member

I also spoke with a company today, VanCompass, that is releasing a lift kit for the Promaster this month. First for the front and shortly for the rear. It looks like it will be a very elegant solution and reasonably priced.
The installation on the front however will require removing and reinstalling the front struts which is a fairly involved process. I was told the rear kit being developed will complement nicely SumoSprings so that sounds positive.

Hopefully somebody here will install both front and year kits and let us know how they work out. Heck it could even be us. We'll see.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:33 AM   #838
Platinum Member

Sumos for the Promaster for both front and rear are pretty easy to install. The rears are a simple jack the rear up till just prior to the tires coming off pavement. Screw off the OEM bump stops, screw on the new Sumos (bump stops). Lower van. All is done.

The fronts require the van be jacked up off the ground, tires removed. Then the Sumos just simply screw into the top of the coils on the struts. Reinstall tire(s), lower vehicle, and you're done.
Most just install the rear yellow Sumos which are the highest weight rated ones. They raise the PM rear back to the OEM height prior to the coach build which is around 1 to 1.5". Obviously does not change the axle clearance from the ground which is right at 6.5".

SuperSprings gives a 10% discount for members of the Travato Facebook group when ordered directly from them...

Old 05-04-2018, 12:12 AM   #839
Platinum Member

I did better on price with Amazon than ordering direct and getting the discount.

As Bob said above, install is easy DIY. Some have done the fronts without taking off the wheels, there are pictures on Facebook. The rears you can do from underneath the van without removing the wheels.

I wouldn't worry about a Travato on dirt or forest roads if it's not too rough with rocks or deep ruts. As said above, the rear axle is the low point at 6.5", but people don't really report problems as the axle travels with the wheels (as you roll over things).

Transit has shock bottom supports that hang down pretty low, so that is something that you could easily get hung up on. Looks lower than Promaster on the ones I've spotted, and looks lower than the rear trans-axle housing too.

Sprinter and Sprinter 4x4 is probably the best on ground clearance. Chevy Express is looks to be a close second on clearance.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:57 AM   #840
Platinum Member

Ron what's your feeling about the front Sumos? Way back when, about 35+ years ago, when I was into modifying and hopping up cars, those in the know wouldn't recommend anything like the fronts because it took away spring travel causing possible breakage.
I realize the Sumos are "flexible" so to speak vs what was made back then in the 70's & 80's, so maybe that's the secret.
Coachmen is installing them on the front of their Transit Crossfit nowadays...