Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2015, 01:21 PM   #161
Platinum Member

2nd portable panel would be set up when camping and taken down and stored when you leave the campsite I think. The advantage is being able to point it and angle it toward the sun to really maximize the output.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:30 PM   #162
Platinum Member

They are selling on the fact that their combiner can handle 3 panels. That does not include the port they put in the side of the van to handle a portable. One really nice feature of that is they wired it directly to the controller. That should make the portable panel a bit cheaper as it won't need a controller.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:34 PM   #163
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
sorry i don't . also i can't speak for others as far as no-see ums. Skreenz site says it stops thems and so far i've had no issues
Well, they say their screens will stop no-see-ums (also know as biting midges). Their screen is 20 mesh (20x20 or 400 openings/sq.in.) See this link from Florida Okeechobee Extension Service

http://okeechobee.ifas.ufl.edu/News%...No.See.Ums.htm

They recommend 30 mesh. I had some 20 mesh screens (yes I have counted the openings) and the no-see-ums walked through it. Also remember "There are over 4,000 species of biting midges", so they do come indifferent sizes and species vary depending on your location.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #164
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Yup. I'd love to see photos if you get the chance.

Eric
Eric - here are photos. Please understand that I have not "Field tested" the magnetic sheet. I was using super magnets (wrapped in duct tape so you can handle them). I think my wife used her serger to cut/trim the edges.

This screening is the Skeeta product. I have also included a comparison showing both this and some salvaged from a Eureka screen house. Black color and heavier. I found that the Eureka screen holds much better if you are installing in a frame with a spline. The Skeeta screening is too light. We also used the Eureka screen on our pop-top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VW EVC Side Window Screens-1.jpg (156.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg VW EVC Side Window Screens-2.jpg (146.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg VW EVC Side Window Screens-3.jpg (131.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg VW EVC Side Window Screens-8.jpg (348.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg VW EVC Side Window Screens-1-2.jpg (137.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #165
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Eric - here are photos.

I can see doing something like a sheet of that screen held on with magnets on the dinette, bedroom or door windows. I like to use my "wrap" on the windshield and front doors and that doesn't allow for much air flow.

Thank you,
Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #166
Platinum Member

Quote:

I can see doing something like a sheet of that screen held on with magnets on the dinette, bedroom or door windows. I like to use my "wrap" on the windshield and front doors and that doesn't allow for much air flow.

Thank you,
Eric
Please try it out and see if it works; post photos
Old 07-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #167
Platinum Member

Default 59g owners be alert!

We need more lerts. Ha-Ha, I slay me sometimes.

But seriously, next time you're outside your coach doing a pre-flight, look up at your upper refrigerator vent and check to see if the trailing edge (the short edge closest to the rear) is flush with the coach body. Better yet, reach up and give it a gentle tug with your fingers and see if it pops out a bit. Mine didn't need a tug, it just was sticking out about a quarter of an inch. Here's the problem with mine.

The frame attached to the coach has a tab on its trailing edge like this.

It's supposed to fit into the corresponding slot in the vent.

The problem is, when Winnebago installed the frame on the coach, they stretched the fit side-to-side. Now, if I engage the tab into the slot, the pin on the leading (left) edge will not poke through the vent like it should so it can be captured, locking the vent on. If I pull to the left so that the pin fits correctly, the slot disengages from the tab.

Here's the fix. Two small tabs of 3M double sided tape.

It makes the opening smaller and sticks the vent to the frame. It will make removal more difficult in the future, but not impossible and there's really nothing in there to fiddle with anyway.

You don't want to lose that vent. The red ones are easier to find on the side of the road for sure, but it'll be all dinged and chipped up. They're probably very expensive after you have it painted body color.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #168
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
2nd portable panel would be set up when camping and taken down and stored when you leave the campsite I think. The advantage is being able to point it and angle it toward the sun to really maximize the output.
The other advantage is (if you get a 50ft extension cord) is you can park in the shade (now solar on top won't do much), keep RV cool and place the portable panels in the sun.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #169
Platinum Member

Quote:
We need more lerts. Ha-Ha, I slay me sometimes.
I hope you do send that in to Winnebago. Save next buyer from a headache.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #170
Platinum Member

did the Travato jump in price with the 2016 model? From what I can tell they brought the bed system over from the 59k. Solid surface countertop and some other little touches. But the prices im seeing are around 90k, when I know you could get a 2015 in the 60's quite easily. Maybe dealers just arent putting out the special advertised pricing yet and are staying close to msrp in the online numbers?
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #171
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
did the Travato jump in price with the 2016 model? From what I can tell they brought the bed system over from the 59k. Solid surface countertop and some other little touches. But the prices im seeing are around 90k, when I know you could get a 2015 in the 60's quite easily. Maybe dealers just arent putting out the special advertised pricing yet and are staying close to msrp in the online numbers?
Yes they went up a little. The $90's price you mention is the retail price area. The $60's price is the negotiated out the door, drive it away price.....

You can probably figure 20-23%, thereabouts off retail if you bargain....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #172
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
Yes they went up a little. The $90's price you mention is the retail price area. The $60's price is the negotiated out the door, drive it away price.....

You can probably figure 20-23%, thereabouts off retail if you bargain....
That kinda stinks, they are going the wrong way price wise. O well. I think they had a hit, THE B van for a lot of people because of the price and layout. But once you start getting up near 100k you are competing with coaches that are just far better in fit and finish.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:56 PM   #173
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
But once you start getting up near 100k you are competing with coaches that are just far better in fit and finish.
Yes, if you want to go to a different vehicle base, like a Chevy Express. If you want to stay with the Promaster or Sprinter base Class Bs (like the Travato), the MSRP is going to be very close to the Travato or over $100k (correction - there is one Promaster base RV for $98k out there - PleasureWay Lexor TS)

Winnebago added New heating/hot water system, Froli, Corian, etc. and went from around $85K MSRP base to about $89K MSRP base. Road trek's Promaster is the Zion at around $86k MSRP base. After that you go to Sprinter base vehicles and price jumps. ERAs are 108k (70A - still 19k more than Travato 59G) to 119k MSRP base; Roadtrek's cheapest Sprinter is SS Agile (short base Sprinter) around $117k. Road trek's longer wheelbase Sprinters are $125k to $140k MSRP base.

Please note these are MSRP base - no options, special deals, internet specials, etc.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:46 PM   #174
Gold Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mass59k

We paid 80k at Flagg RV in Uxbridge, Mass. Unit was fully loaded with the racks and solar, 2 bats and generator. I think some dealers will boost price if they can get it. It's the American way
Old 07-06-2015, 10:15 PM   #175
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass59k View Post
We paid 80k at Flagg RV in Uxbridge, Mass. Unit was fully loaded with the racks and solar, 2 bats and generator. I think some dealers will boost price if they can get it. It's the American way
What was the MSRP on that? The dealers don't boost the price - they start with the MSRP and go down. How far down is up to you.

Seems to be 2 conversations going on here - one using MSRP (from mrshowtime3 - "the prices im seeing are around 90k") and then the final negotiated price (again from mrshowtime3 "you could get a 2015 in the 60's quite easily").

As I understand it, because of their contracts with manufacturers, most dealers can only advertise the MSRP. Go see them, talk, negotiate and the price comes down to the final negotiated price - as much as 20+% as others have mentioned.

Same vehicle but different $. Seems RVs are not anything like buying a car.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:26 PM   #176
Platinum Member

Quote:
What was the MSRP on that? The dealers don't boost the price - they start with the MSRP and go down. How far down is up to you...
The first dealer I went to marked the MSRP up from $86k (2015 price published on WGO website) to $92K so that they could claim they were discounting $7k when they offered it to me at $85k. It was an RV show special price they told me. That's why I got on a plane to NM to buy instead of shopping locally.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-06-2015, 10:44 PM   #177
Platinum Member

Quote:
The first dealer I went to marked the MSRP up from $86k (2015 price published on WGO website) to $92K so that they could claim they were discounting $7k when they offered it to me at $85k. It was an RV show special price they told me. That's why I got on a plane to NM to buy instead of shopping locally.
Wow! Did they add some "dealer options" to justify that? Did you call Winnebago? Did you tell them the $6k markup would easily pay for your trip to NM?

What did you end up paying?

I have heard show specials are either the best deals or the worst deals.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:48 PM   #178
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow! Did they add some "dealer options" to justify that? Did you call Winnebago? Did you tell them the $6k markup would easily pay for your trip to NM?

What did you end up paying?

I have heard show specials are either the best deals or the worst deals.
The only options were the side and rear screen doors, about $350.

The one I bought had a $1200 paint job, roof, bike and kayak racks for $3000 and screens for $350 and I paid $66,998 out the door. Cost me $300 in plane fare and a couple hundred in gas to get it home.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-06-2015, 10:58 PM   #179
Platinum Member

Quote:

The one I bought had a $1200 paint job, roof, bike and kayak racks for $3000 and screens for $350 and I paid $66,998 out the door. Cost me $300 in plane fare and a couple hundred in gas to get it home.
Very, very nice discount! That pays for a lot of trips. Who in NM, if I may ask?
Old 07-07-2015, 12:32 AM   #180
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:

Good job Eric

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote