Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #1

Default Pleasureway RV on Ford Transit?

Hi all, I am looking at getting a new Pleasureway Plateau FL on a Mercedes chassis. I saw where Leasure Travel is building on Ford Transit and it looks very good. Is Pleasureway going to offer a Ford Transit as an option? Thanks for everyone's input.
sjedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Have you checked our their Ontour models?

https://pleasureway.com/models/ontour22/

Compressor fridges, 200Ah Lithium / 2000W Inverter standard, and Pleasureway's reputation for quality. Lots to like.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:00 AM   #3
Silver Member

Also to note: the current builds are on the 2020 Transit chassis, not the 2019 as originally introduced. This brings the 10 speed automatic and stop/start for improved acceleration AND fuel economy. Also, revised instrument panel with improved access to the coach, swiveling driver's seat finally, and more advanced driver safety tech. Expect this model to continue to have other running changes. The '21s should have revised interior finishes, and expect the new, quiet generator soon. Don't be surprised if they switch to a quieter AC unit, and there will be awning style windows eventually, too, amongst other mods. Also, expect an AWD option at some point. Really nice units. Biggest beds and the most headroom of any PleasureWay.
mtmdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:59 PM   #4
Silver Member

Yes, there are many advantages to going with a 2020 Transit over a Sprinter. Some notable points for the Transit will be lower purchase cost, considerably larger service network, less costly maintenance, better reliability, more power with the Ecoboost engine, 10 speed transmission - all with comparable fuel economy and safety technology.

Ford, rev those factory engines!
GigaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #5

I have a 2017 winnebago paseo transit with the 3.5 turbo 6 speed . I would make sure you get a unit with the 3.5 turbo . If you can drive both you will see a big difference in all around performance. Also the 6 speed works fine.
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
Platinum Member

JMHO I'm on a few forums and it's unbelievable how many issues with MB, at least the newer ones. You couldn't give me one, unless you gave it to me and I could sell it!
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #7
Silver Member

Default Recommend No to New and Sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjedelen View Post
Hi all, I am looking at getting a new Pleasureway Plateau FL on a Mercedes chassis.
We have a 2012 Pleasure Way Plateau TD on the Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis. Two things we wouldn't do after RVing for 25 years (3 years full time): buy new again and buy an RV on a Sprinter-based chassis.

With regard to new, the depreciation hit and, to a much lesser extent, the return trips to the dealer for adjustments, make buying new less desirable in our opinion than buying a well-maintained used RV.

Our 3-years experience with the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter chassis has been disappointing. Cost of maintenance and repair (I'm not handy), constant repair issues and a disputed issue over types of biodiesel it can use are the issues.

In our opinion, Pleasure Way is a great quality build. This is the second one we've owned. We've been to the factory in Saskatoon and while the facility is underwhelming the people, including the owner, are fantastic and will do anything for you to stand behind their product. Leisure Travel, as I understand it, is also a quality product, although we've never owned one. I would consider buying a Wonder or an OnTour. Just note the size differences.

Ray Brown
Ormond-by-the-Sea
Florida
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:38 AM   #8

I am also looking at the ford frame and I'm interested in the ride quality and drivability of the ford vs the spinter
quincyry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:37 PM   #9
Silver Member

Default Sprinter vs. Ford Drivability and Ride Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyry View Post
I am also looking at the ford frame and I'm interested in the ride quality and drivability of the ford vs the spinter
Normally, I am a critic of the Sprinter, but within the confines of this specific question, with aftermarket equipment the Sprinter handles and rides better. A stock 3500 Sprinter will weeble-wobble coming out of driveways and and making certain turns. Add-on suspension remedies can fix that, though at the expense of cargo carrying capacity. The Ford is 'solid' as in akin to a tank but nimble it isn't.

Ray Brown
Ormond-by-the-Sea
Florida
Old 07-12-2020, 07:46 PM   #10

Solid as a tank implies strength or steering response?
It has been a few years since my last van conversions. Both prior vans were Ford or Chevy 1500 class. Theses vans fit my needs at the time and were easy to drive on the hwy for extended trips.
The new vans appear far more refined and have greater volume. I would like to test drive both platforms but the closest dealers is 130 miles away. Here in Florida there were 16000 new c19 cases yesterday so I'm reluctant to venture to a dealer for a few weeks. Any additional info on road manners is greatly appreciated so I can refine my search.
quincyry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:38 AM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyry View Post
Solid as a tank implies strength or steering response?
My comment was in response to my last Ford E350 2013 chassis which was a 2015 Pleasure-Way B+ (C). Very solid in terms of strength but certainly not nimble or responsive. The length was 22'.

If you are basing your decision solely on "ride quality and drivability" and you have a more cash for purchase, maintenance and can withstand the fuel controversy, the Sprinter is the right move with upgraded aftermarket suspension pieces. As an aside, there are a only a handful of Mercedes dealers who can service a Sprinter. We are lucky to live near one in Daytona Beach. Take that into consideration as well.

As a Sprinter owner, and former E350 owner, I would tend to try something like a Transit with a gas engine if you can find one.

Ray Brown
2012 Pleasure-Way Plateau TS
Ormond-by-the-Sea, Florida
Old 09-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #12

Be cognizant that there are some Pleasure Way 2021 Ontour 2.0’s and 2.2’s that are built on the 2019 Transit chassis. I have a 2021 Ontour 2.0 on a 2019 Transit chassis. My vehicle’s birth certificate was issued in May of 2020. I bought it on Ausust 1, 2020. All of this is confirmed on its MSRP and its origin papers. The dealer had had to close down for several weeks for Covid. This Ontour 2.0 came in during that time. I bought it off the lot at their reopening. Standing room is 6’ 6”. I have 3,000 miles on it. I have averaged 16-17 mpg on 93 octane gas over all terrains except real-deal mountains. It handles well and is actually fun to drive considering it’s a van. It does not understear or lean in turns. It does not weeble wobble at all. It goes straight down the road. It is not overly sensitive to side winds and passing semi’s (only slightly more than my 2018 BMW X5). It rides very similarly to my 2017 Mercedes S except the rear axle does not hop and yaw over railroad tracks like the Model S will do. The tires feel planted at all times like the 2018 BMW X5. The brakes are exceptional with the pedal traveling about 1.5-2.0 inches to engagement where it stays with braking being directly proportional to the pressure applied. No spongy brakes here. The Ecoboost Twin Turbo 3.5 V6 running 93 octane gas has way more than adequate acceleration and lugging power. I usually cruise at 65 mph at 1800 rpm. If it downshifts for a hill it goes to 2200 rpm in 5th gear and rarely, if ever, has to go to 4th. On downslopes in cruise control it will downshift as many times as needed to maintain the set speed while maintaining an engine speed of 2500 rpm or lower. I changed out perfectly good OEM Contiental tires for Michelin Agilis Cross Climate C spec unidirectional tires because I drive in the rain a lot. The Michelin Agilis tires are noisier and are a touch firmer ride. They drive the same as the Continentals. In summary, I have been very pleasantly surprised by the Transit chassis and I like it a lot. I don’ t have experince with the Sprinter chassis so I can’t compare there.
Billstrong is offline   Reply With Quote