Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2023, 08:43 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
Manchester has a reputation of not dealing directly with consumers. You will need to have someone who is either an RV Dealer, RV technician or a propane distributor (Arrow gas, Ferrell, etc) order it for you.
Good to know. There is a dealer near my base of operations that could do that for me.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
Thank you. Yes, my tank rusted through and I am getting by with a standard BBQ tank hooked up externally. I'l look at the Manchester tank.
Hey
I know this is an older post but I may be forced to do the same, hook up and external tank on my 97 Dodge Roadtrek. Do you have any advice on how to do so or maybe supply info for the parts you used? Thanks!
TownFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 03:06 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownFamily View Post
Hey
I know this is an older post but I may be forced to do the same, hook up and external tank on my 97 Dodge Roadtrek. Do you have any advice on how to do so or maybe supply info for the parts you used? Thanks!
I removed the existing two stage regulator and plumbed in a standard BBQ regulator and flexible hose (from Tractor Supply I believe). I cover the regulator with a zip lock bag and store it in the propane compartment when not in use. I have a new two stage regulator, but I haven't found a flexible hose to fit it.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:44 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
I wish it were so. There is a difference between surface rust and scale, and that is what my tank has. Propane service stations will not fill a tank with too much scale, and I was surprised the tank lasted as long as it did.
As a side note, propane tanks in general don't last long here in Hawaii. Our son-in-law's 100 lb. tank rusted out after 5 years of service, and I just had a BBQ grill tank rust through last week.
Horizontal RV tanks do not rust through, but if you want to replace it, so be it. I've proven 2 other people wrong about this.They finally went into AmeriGas or similar and learned these tanks last forever. Period end of story...
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 06:36 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
Horizontal RV tanks do not rust through, but if you want to replace it, so be it. I've proven 2 other people wrong about this.They finally went into AmeriGas or similar and learned these tanks last forever. Period end of story...
Thanks. I've pretty much given up trying to replace the tank, and i intend to investigate leaks, etc., further. I'll be in the Roadtrek at the end of this week, and go from there.
Old 11-19-2023, 05:59 PM   #26
Bronze Member

Could i ask how do you connect a BBQ tank up ?i have a 2023 promaster Tellaro?
chrislana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 08:20 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Tom, Remove the tank and have it sandblasted to remove rust and any remaining finish. Take it to a Propane distributor and ask them to take a look and replace the valve if necessary. Then double coat the tank with a Phosphate rust converter followed by a durable 2 part epoxy paint.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 10:54 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
Tom, Remove the tank and have it sandblasted to remove rust and any remaining finish. Take it to a Propane distributor and ask them to take a look and replace the valve if necessary. Then double coat the tank with a Phosphate rust converter followed by a durable 2 part epoxy paint.
Sounds good. Thanks
Old 11-19-2023, 10:59 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislana View Post
Could i ask how do you connect a BBQ tank up ?i have a 2023 promaster Tellaro?
On my 1997 Dodge, I removed the existing regulator and tubing from the tank and plumbed in a flexible hose and regulator for a BBQ tank to the vehicle's propane line. I am using a small 6lb. aluminum propane tank that fits nicely into the side storage compartment on my Roadtrek.
Old 11-24-2023, 11:23 AM   #30
Platinum Member

We go to business that sell flammable, explosive gas and expect them to be professional, competent, licensed and we expect to be given professional advice.

Sadly far too many of them don't know what they are doing or talking about. In my 20 plus years on forums I have seen an amazing amount of people told they needed new tanks when they did not.

If they refuse to fill my tank, I do not debate, argue or ask for a manager, I assume they are incompetent and am glad they refused to fill my tank as they may damage it. I simply go down the road and try again. My record for this was 3 different places.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 05:39 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Probably a wise move!
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote