Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2023, 08:57 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek propane tank

I need to replace the onboard propane tank on my 1997 Dodge Ram Popular 190. Does anyone know if there is a replacement available?
Old 02-12-2023, 11:02 PM   #2
Platinum Member

This might be it, but it's very expensive (price in in Canadian dollars, but even so), plus shipping costs across the border.

Did your original tank rust through?

Might be cheaper to buy a new Manchester RV tank and find someone to weld on new mounting hardware (if that is possible).

https://www.mobiliferv.ca/rv-parts/r...k-hm-384/6338/
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 12:09 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Thank you. Yes, my tank rusted through and I am getting by with a standard BBQ tank hooked up externally. I'l look at the Manchester tank.
Old 02-13-2023, 03:37 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Your tank has a model number on it. Take that number to Manchester tank and ask if they will make one. Let us know if you get a positive result.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 06:15 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Your tank has a model number on it. Take that number to Manchester tank and ask if they will make one. Let us know if you get a positive result.
I'll check on the model number, but it will be a while before I can do that. I live in Hawaii, and my Roadtrek is stored in Connecticut. I should be back on the mainland by late May.
Old 02-13-2023, 06:41 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Here is a link. Says the model number is HM384.

I have never been able to get them to answer the phone or email but there is a picture of what you want.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 07:35 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Here is a link. Says the model number is HM384.

I have never been able to get them to answer the phone or email but there is a picture of what you want.
Thanks. Got that link in an earlier post. Very expensive tank.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:03 AM   #8
Platinum Member

There might be a generic available at much lower cost. Or, a tank with a new model number. Here’s now I handled ours:

REPLACING A LEAKING LP TANK ON AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:37 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
There might be a generic available at much lower cost. Or, a tank with a new model number. Here’s now I handled ours:

REPLACING A LEAKING LP TANK ON AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Thanks. A very informative article!
Old 02-20-2023, 12:39 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
I need to replace the onboard propane tank on my 1997 Dodge Ram Popular 190. Does anyone know if there is a replacement available?
How can it be rusted through? It's most likely surface rust and you have a leak via one of the fittings, vales etc. The tank should last forever and that was coming from an old timer with 40 plus years experience at AmeriGas. So many people have been conned in with a replacement from the RV shop. Do your DD
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 04:28 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
How can it be rusted through? It's most likely surface rust and you have a leak via one of the fittings, vales etc. The tank should last forever and that was coming from an old timer with 40 plus years experience at AmeriGas. So many people have been conned in with a replacement from the RV shop. Do your DD
I wish it were so. There is a difference between surface rust and scale, and that is what my tank has. Propane service stations will not fill a tank with too much scale, and I was surprised the tank lasted as long as it did.
As a side note, propane tanks in general don't last long here in Hawaii. Our son-in-law's 100 lb. tank rusted out after 5 years of service, and I just had a BBQ grill tank rust through last week.
Old 02-20-2023, 07:50 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wish it were so. There is a difference between surface rust and scale, and that is what my tank has. Propane service stations will not fill a tank with too much scale, and I was surprised the tank lasted as long as it did.
As a side note, propane tanks in general don't last long here in Hawaii. Our son-in-law's 100 lb. tank rusted out after 5 years of service, and I just had a BBQ grill tank rust through last week.
Then you are not understanding ASME tanks. Clean it up and bring it to another propane fill station. Are you actually using a leak detector and showing leakage via the actual tank? As mentioned, the guy who told me that is a yard master at AmeriGas and has been there for over 40 years. I'm pretty sure he know what he's talking about. I asked him how long the tank would last, and he replied "Forever". I, like you, was ready to spend big bucks to replace it at an RV shop. That was 5 years ago.
Old 02-20-2023, 07:52 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Do your own DD>>>ASME, or American Society of Mechanical Engineers standard propane tanks can last indefinitely. They are designed for above ground service at moderate pressure levels. Particular inspection should be made to valve assemblies. Short of serious corrosion or exposure to high heat, tank structures rarely fail.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:40 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
Do your own DD>>>ASME, or American Society of Mechanical Engineers standard propane tanks can last indefinitely. They are designed for above ground service at moderate pressure levels. Particular inspection should be made to valve assemblies. Short of serious corrosion or exposure to high heat, tank structures rarely fail.
Thanks. I'll take a closer look at the tank this spring. I didn't do any leak checks, mainly because the tank was empty last spring, and it had been full when put into storage with the outlet valve turned off.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:55 AM   #15
Platinum Member

While unlikely, it may be possible that the tank is rusted through, at the cost of replacement, I would hazard a guess of $1500 if you can find a direct replacement. I would definitely want more than one opinion. For me personally I would go over the tank myself, starting with a soapy water solution, ultrasonic leak detector/LP leak detector.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 05:40 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
While unlikely, it may be possible that the tank is rusted through, at the cost of replacement, I would hazard a guess of $1500 if you can find a direct replacement. I would definitely want more than one opinion. For me personally I would go over the tank myself, starting with a soapy water solution, ultrasonic leak detector/LP leak detector.
Sounds like a plan. I plan on spending some time and money on the old Roadtrek this spring, so if a new tank is needed, I can do that. I have used soapy water and leak detectors on propane and air conditioning systems many times, so it's nothing new to me. Last spring, I was in the midst of some big projects on my sailboat, so using a BBQ tank on the Roadtrek worked for the time being.
For the past 12 years, we have lived aboard the sailboat in the summer and cruised Cape Cod and the Islands, using the Roadtrek to visit my family and friends. I sold the sailboat in September last spring, so we will be full time in the Roadtrek this summer.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:26 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. I plan on spending some time and money on the old Roadtrek this spring, so if a new tank is needed, I can do that. I have used soapy water and leak detectors on propane and air conditioning systems many times, so it's nothing new to me. Last spring, I was in the midst of some big projects on my sailboat, so using a BBQ tank on the Roadtrek worked for the time being.
For the past 12 years, we have lived aboard the sailboat in the summer and cruised Cape Cod and the Islands, using the Roadtrek to visit my family and friends. I sold the sailboat in September last spring, so we will be full time in the Roadtrek this summer.
I bought a Accutrac hypersonic detector when the AC people wanted to add gas to my AC system without looking for leaks. Amazing how quick it found a leaking evaporator coil. Actually stopped using soap and water and now use one of the fancy high tech liquids. They do work better!
Old 02-22-2023, 12:54 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
I bought a Accutrac hypersonic detector when the AC people wanted to add gas to my AC system without looking for leaks. Amazing how quick it found a leaking evaporator coil. Actually stopped using soap and water and now use one of the fancy high tech liquids. They do work better!
Thanks. I'll look into acquiring one!
Old 02-22-2023, 10:17 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks. I'll look into acquiring one!
Fairly expensive, but saved me from rip off HVAC techs.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:22 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Manchester has a reputation of not dealing directly with consumers. You will need to have someone who is either an RV Dealer, RV technician or a propane distributor (Arrow gas, Ferrell, etc) order it for you.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote