Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2023, 01:36 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLandau View Post
Hi folks,

It is time to buy new tires and I am considering increasing the tire size from LT245/75R16 to LT265/75R16.

We have a 2015 Roadtrek 190 Popular 4x4 with a Quigley 3" lift. We prefer out of the way camping spots and don't mind traveling on gravel roads/unimproved roads to get there.

I am considering increasing the tire size to LT265/75R16 in order to gain some additional safety margin based on our usage and the fact that these vans run reasonably heavy. I realize that wheel size and offsets are also critical but I would like to discuss those in another thread. It looks like the LT265s are approximately 1.5" larger in diameter.

I have read that some of you have already made this change. I am interested in your experiences with the tire size increase as well as any impacts (both positive and negative). I expect that the speedometer and odometer are effected but I don't know by how much.

I appreciate sharing your experiences.

Thanks, Mike

We were very early on in the switch to that size in our 07 190P rear driver somewhere around a decade ago.

No negatives except being a bit heavier, partly because of the tire and partly because of the steel wheels needed to get a wheel wide enough and at the right offset.

We would never go back to stock size as the peace of mind alone is worth it and they also handle better, IMO.

It is really hard to separate the offset from the size increase though because if you increase the tire diameter and it gets combined with aluminum wheels Roadtrek or other non correct offset wheels used, you can get a fender lip rub at the front or rear of the front wheelwells. The offset error is about 1 3/8" per side and that makes the wheel move for and aft more when turned, creating a potential rub.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote