Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 03:27 PM   #1

Default What is the GCWR of my 2005 Roadtrek 190 Versitile?

I'm trying to determine the GCWR of my 2005 Roadtrek 190 Versitle (built on a 2005 3500 chassis).

I have both the 2005 Roadtrek brochure and owners manual. The brochure shows that the GCWR for the 190 on the 3500 extended chassis is 16000 pounds.

However, the owners manual (which I would think to trust more) has 2 sets of numbers. It lists the standard GCWR as 14000 lbs. and optional as 16000 lbs.

How can I tell if I have the standard or optional towing package? I think that I have the standard package as it only has the flat 4 pin connector for the trailer, but that is just a guess. Any expert opinions on this?
Old 02-21-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

A rear axle with a 3.73 ratio is rated for 14,000 and a rear axle with a 4.10 ratio is rated for 16,000. You can confirm your axle rating by looking at the RPO codes on the front passenger door or looking at the sticker on your axle. The sticker is on the rear of the driver's side axle tube.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
A rear axle with a 3.73 ratio is rated for 14,000 and a rear axle with a 4.10 ratio is rated for 16,000. You can confirm your axle rating by looking at the RPO codes on the front passenger door or looking at the sticker on your axle. The sticker is on the rear of the driver's side axle tube.
Thanks!

I did the RPO codes last night and I do have the 4.10 axle.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #4
Platinum Member

This is on a Chevy 3500 chassis?

I suppose it would have to be, since Dodge ceased their 3500 chassis in 2003. So the latest upfitter year on a Dodge chassis would be 2003 or as late as 2004.

16000 lb GCWR is outstanding, it's more than my class C.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
Gold Member

Default Roadtrek 190 GVWR

The 190 Roadtreks post 2002 have the best tow ratings of any of the class B camper vans I have found. Most class Bs are rated for 500 pounds of trailer tongue weight and 5,000 pounds or less of trailer weight.

Two keys for your rig if you tow are:
1. Roadtrek ordered base vans sometimes without oversize engine radiators or large transmission coolers - so watch for transmission temperatures - heat kills transmissions.
2. Since your dash gauges do not show transmission temperature most likely, you might want to get a Scan Gauge, which plugs into the under dash OBD port
and program it to show digital transmission temperature which I have found goes up quicker than engine temperature in my Roadtreks.

The SAE standards for tow capacity includes climbing a prolonged up hill incline in Nevada under specified hot conditions while maintaining at least a minimum specified speed and without overheating - so the 4:10 rear probably helps achieve the minimum speed for 16,000 GVWR

BUT my experience suggests your trailering skills, precautions and situational awareness are far more critical to safe operation than the legal ratings - just common sense on this point.

BTW, I LOVE my proportional electric brake controllers (Tekonsha Prodigy II)

drjones7788@gmail.com
14 trailers, multiple Roadtreks, lecturer on towing with a Class B to aviation and RV groups Love our Chevy Roadtreks too of course!
Bjones7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones7788 View Post
Two keys for your rig if you tow are:
1. Roadtrek ordered base vans sometimes without oversize engine radiators or large transmission coolers - so watch for transmission temperatures - heat kills transmissions.
2. Since your dash gauges do not show transmission temperature most likely, you might want to get a Scan Gauge, which plugs into the under dash OBD port
and program it to show digital transmission temperature which I have found goes up quicker than engine temperature in my Roadtreks.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I assume that I have a transmission cooler as there is a radiator type device in front of the actual radiator. There is also a 2x1x12 inch radiator type device at the bottom of the radiator area. Any idea what that is?

I do have a scan gauge so I will definitely monitor the transmission temp. What is a good temp to keep it below?

Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:04 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf57 View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I assume that I have a transmission cooler as there is a radiator type device in front of the actual radiator. There is also a 2x1x12 inch radiator type device at the bottom of the radiator area. Any idea what that is?

I do have a scan gauge so I will definitely monitor the transmission temp. What is a good temp to keep it below?

Thanks again.

The cooler underneath is the power steering cooler.

Overheating transmissions are a way of life with 4 speed transmissions unless you do a lot upgrades including big, big trans coolers with their own fans separated from the engine heat with an oversize, previous model version radiator. BJ has done all of that, we have done a non towing version and still would run a bit hot in certain conditions climbing slow and steep stuff. I finally did a programming change to the transmission to move the torque converter lockup speeds and the overheating went away completely. The 6 speed versions of the Vans don't overheat with same radiators and fans as we have. It is because they are in lockup nearly all the time, and it is the torque converter generating the heat.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf57 View Post
I'm trying to determine the GCWR of my 2005 Roadtrek 190 Versitle (built on a 2005 3500 chassis).

I have both the 2005 Roadtrek brochure and owners manual. The brochure shows that the GCWR for the 190 on the 3500 extended chassis is 16000 pounds.

However, the owners manual (which I would think to trust more) has 2 sets of numbers. It lists the standard GCWR as 14000 lbs. and optional as 16000 lbs.

How can I tell if I have the standard or optional towing package? I think that I have the standard package as it only has the flat 4 pin connector for the trailer, but that is just a guess. Any expert opinions on this?
There should be a yellow sticker on your drivers side door jamb or in your glove box with the GCWR and other ratings.
DelcoBobby is offline   Reply With Quote