Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2023, 03:44 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Express 3500 front wheel bearing compatibility

New to me 3500 extended conversion van with 130k. I had to replace a wheel bearing straight away and looking though @booster wheel discussion, I'm thinking I may be in a similar boat with offset.

My van has AR 172 (Baja) wheels. The stamping on my wheels are not listed on the AR website (AR172, MA-102L) but I'm assuming they are 4.5 backspace/0.00mm offset as all of the 16x8 pattern wheels share this spec regardless of bolt spacing, so I'm +1in

Anyway, does anyone know if the 10,000+ wheel bearing can be mixed with the 9,000 and under? The 10k+ lists a 180mm abs sensor, but no mention of sensor for 9k and under.
sadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 03:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadpanda View Post
New to me 3500 extended conversion van with 130k. I had to replace a wheel bearing straight away and looking though @booster wheel discussion, I'm thinking I may be in a similar boat with offset.

My van has AR 172 (Baja) wheels. The stamping on my wheels are not listed on the AR website (AR172, MA-102L) but I'm assuming they are 4.5 backspace/0.00mm offset as all of the 16x8 pattern wheels share this spec regardless of bolt spacing, so I'm +1in

Anyway, does anyone know if the 10,000+ wheel bearing can be mixed with the 9,000 and under? The 10k+ lists a 180mm abs sensor, but no mention of sensor for 9k and under.

This has come up in the past as folks thought that the 10K load range vans would give more capacity. It has been a while since it was looked at, but IIRC the only difference that was found, by looking at the drawings for SKF replacements, was that the dually wheel versions had longer studs in the hubs.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 03:54 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Cool. I replaced one already but I did not know about compatibility so I went with under 9k. However after this last trip, I'm pretty sure the other one is loose too. Given I may be on these wrong offset AR wheels for a while, I was thinking of going with the +10k for the other but if the bearing itself is the same, I'm not going to worry about.

Thanks!
sadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote