Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2023, 04:03 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Mods I've done

New here but figured I would list some of my mods - if they have already been covered by others cool, if not and there is interest I can do a write up to help contribute to the community.

Heated leather wrapped steering wheel
Dedicated DRL with dip turn signal
'Full' front turn signals (added inner bulb)
AC stretch belt delete
Android 11in radio - retain factory chime/SWC
Rear sway bar - hellwig is flawed, returned and went with Road Master
sadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 04:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadpanda View Post
New here but figured I would list some of my mods - if they have already been covered by others cool, if not and there is interest I can do a write up to help contribute to the community.

Heated leather wrapped steering wheel
Dedicated DRL with dip turn signal
'Full' front turn signals (added inner bulb)
AC stretch belt delete
Android 11in radio - retain factory chime/SWC
Rear sway bar - hellwig is flawed, returned and went with Road Master

What was the issue with the Hellwig? Several people have installed them and they seemed to be fine as long as you didn't have a generator in the way.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 11:17 PM   #3
Bronze Member

So the hellwig mounts to the shock mounts, goes under the axle facing forward. The issue is that if you set the bar level with ground at ride height, there is not enough travel for axle drop let alone being lifted by frame: The bar binds on the axle and the full weight of the axle plus what ever spring pressure is applied to the end links.

If you try and compensate with longer links or a lower mounting point it impacts ground clearance too much and puts the bar at positive angle significantly reducing its effectiveness.

I emailed and called Hellwig, tech forwarded the issue to the engineer and their response was "There is no way to fix this without fully redesigning the bar."

Road Master however does not have this issue.
Old 07-04-2023, 11:26 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
So the hellwig mounts to the shock mounts, goes under the axle facing forward. The issue is that if you set the bar level with ground at ride height, there is not enough travel for axle drop let alone being lifted by frame: The bar binds on the axle and the full weight of the axle plus what ever spring pressure is applied to the end links.

If you try and compensate with longer links or a lower mounting point it impacts ground clearance too much and puts the bar at positive angle significantly reducing its effectiveness.

I emailed and called Hellwig, tech forwarded the issue to the engineer and their response was "There is no way to fix this without fully redesigning the bar."

Road Master however does not have this issue.

You must have a different axle than the earlier ones do, probably an American Axle? On the Dana axles that we had in both the 60s and 70s size, the axle had pads on the rear of housing tubes to mount the two bar pivots.
Old 07-05-2023, 12:24 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Hellwig 7635.

https://www.hellwigproducts.com/wp-c.../135007635.pdf

Earlier than 1997?
Old 07-05-2023, 01:33 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:

That is the standard location on the axles for swaybars. I have our homemade bar in the same place and there are no issues like you describe. The only thing I can think of is that your van is sitting very high in the rear for some reason or the end link would up in the wrong place.

Did yours come out looking differently than the ones on this site?

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...tem/_220400153
Old 07-05-2023, 10:19 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Yes. The bar you are referencing mounts directly to the bottom of axle tube with 'pipe clamp' style hardware.

The part number I gave bolts to the back of the shock mounts with straps and a plate. This puts the bar behind the axle, not below it.

https://www.hellwigproducts.com/wp-c.../135007635.pdf