Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2023, 03:35 PM   #1

Default New fresh water tank to pump hose

We've had our van for a couple of years and there was only one previous owner. During winterization and then putting the van back in service I noticed the intake side of the fresh water pump hose was discolored. I always dismissed it as a discolored hose due to age. This year I got a bit closer and with a bright flashlight noticed it looks like its actually black stuff inside the hose. Removed the short end and mister yuck, it was inside and it was gross. Cleaned it out with a paper towel and it was even more gross then I thought. Pulled the complete hose and replaced with new. It's interesting that some sections are clean and some are mister yuck. I've always disinfected the water system several times a year. I'm thinking the black mister yuck sections had water in them over winter and that allowed mold a chance to develop. In the photograph there is some discolored sections and the outside of the hose I have cleaned with a rag. The markings on the hose indicate it is the original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FreshWaterHose.jpg (715.8 KB, 13 views)
Steveva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveva View Post
We've had our van for a couple of years and there was only one previous owner. During winterization and then putting the van back in service I noticed the intake side of the fresh water pump hose was discolored. I always dismissed it as a discolored hose due to age. This year I got a bit closer and with a bright flashlight noticed it looks like its actually black stuff inside the hose. Removed the short end and mister yuck, it was inside and it was gross. Cleaned it out with a paper towel and it was even more gross then I thought. Pulled the complete hose and replaced with new. It's interesting that some sections are clean and some are mister yuck. I've always disinfected the water system several times a year. I'm thinking the black mister yuck sections had water in them over winter and that allowed mold a chance to develop. In the photograph there is some discolored sections and the outside of the hose I have cleaned with a rag. The markings on the hose indicate it is the original.
This shouldn’t form if system is disinfected a few times / year. Are you certain that this hose sees some disinfectant chemistry? What chemicals do you use for disinfection?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 02:39 PM   #3

The hose I replaced does see the sanitizing mixture.

I mix 1/2 cup bleach with 2-3 gallons of water. Using a funnel I fill a 25 foot hose that is attached to the city water connection with some of it and attach the hose to the facet and run some water through the city water connection. Usually only opening the outside shower facet. The remaining bleach and water mixture goes into the fresh tank using the fresh tank fill opening. I then fill the fresh water tank with water until water comes out the overflow and the fill opening. Next I turn the pump on and open each facet until I smell bleach and then close it. Let it sit for 4-6 hours and then flush all lines with fresh water.

I am thinking the mister yuck was there when we purchased the van. The original owner had passed away and the van was on a lot under consignment. The van was not clean and there was personal items in the van when we looked at it. The person that showed us the van said that the owner's wife did not want to enter the van and remove the personal items.

We only use the fresh water for flushing the toilet and doing dishes. We bring bottled water for drinking and cooking. I'm still a bit surprised we didn't get sick from that mister yuck.
Steveva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Ah...it wont hurt ya