Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2023, 01:41 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Custom Cut Carpet Runner

Would like to add a carpet runner for our van.. something that can be lifted out and cleaned outside the van. But we need a very specific size and shape to fit the floorplan. Does anyone know who or where one can have carpet runners made to a custom size? - Thanks
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 03:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Would like to add a carpet runner for our van.. something that can be lifted out and cleaned outside the van. But we need a very specific size and shape to fit the floorplan. Does anyone know who or where one can have carpet runners made to a custom size? - Thanks

We have been chasing that ghost for many years.

Getting runner material is easy at a home center in most any length, but it is regular carpet and hard to clean and no rubber back for anti sliding. It is only 3' wide and most aisles are more than that, I think. I know they are in our Roadtrek.

What we are currently making for ours after a bit of recent revisiting the issue is to use the thinnest of rubber backed entrance mats that are the easiest on bare feet. Small squares of ribs is OK per our partial test on our fall trip.

In our Roadtrek 190 we will use two pieces. One goes from the entry door to the cabinets on the far side and is tight to the third seat base/now armoire. The other piece will run from the edge of the first piece to the rear of the drop floor.

They are easy to clean, only 1/4" thick, and can be cut to any size without unraveling. Ours get locked in place by the floor edges or cabinets so no sliding and but up tight to each other.

Take them our, shake or sweep them off, maybe hold under a faucet if really dirty, and put out to dry, which they do pretty quickly.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 04:12 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It's been quite a few years since I did it, but I bought a rug I wanted from a home center, cut it to size, then took it to a local carpet store that did the edge binding. It wasn't expensive.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 04:16 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post
It's been quite a few years since I did it, but I bought a rug I wanted from a home center, cut it to size, then took it to a local carpet store that did the edge binding. It wasn't expensive.

How do you clean it and then get it dry if necessary while on a trip? That needs to happen fairly quickly and regular carpet usually doesn't dry well at all.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 04:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
How do you clean it and then get it dry if necessary while on a trip? That needs to happen fairly quickly and regular carpet usually doesn't dry well at all.
In my case, it was for a room in my home but the point is there are companies that will edge bind anything you bring them. So for a van just choose a more appropriate material. I'd look to the marine industry (eg Sailrite).
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 04:50 PM   #6
Platinum Member

You might check out IKEA. We've bought some floor items there for the RV. They make one that's a small black mat that we put in bath. Drys fast. I think it cost 1.50. They also make a bath mat that's rubber backed and has a very short nap. We bought 2 for one of our home baths. They're 20x32" But they also have longer runners intended for under kitchen sinks. You could check dimensions online.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:58 PM   #7

We have found that Kohl’s has rubber backed nice runners. My wife finds them there, she doesn’t wash it often but it is washable, otherwise just take it out and shake or vacuum. Kohl’s can have some good sales. Our daughter worked there during college and encouraged never to buy at full price it will come on discount sale.
kfrimr@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:04 PM   #8
Bronze Member

I haven't done this for my RT, but I have used this technique for cutting odd sizes of various materials for different projects: Make a template out of heavy paper or cardboard with which you will lay over your piece of uncut carpet, trace and cut for a perfect fit. Cut, trim and fit pieces of paper or cardboard to cover the entire area you wish to be carpet. Use packing tape to tape multiple pieces together.

If you can find a remnant of commercial carpet, it has the padding built in and also acts as a "grip" to keep it from sliding around. Commercial carpet will also look best with unfinished edges due to its tight weave and high quality.

Remnants are plentiful and cheap at used building supply stores such as the non-profit Habitat for Humanity Restore stores or carpet stores that sell remnants.
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 05:14 PM   #9
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post

You can buy edge binding tape yourself we just use a scatter rug that is long on top of the original carpeting Warm Does not slip
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 01:33 PM   #10
Silver Member

My favorite is two heavy foam workshop cushion mats from Home Depot. Two fit perfectly down the middle and can be swept and taken out easily to hose. Super soft and adds noise and probably heat reduction.
tarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 05:33 PM   #11
Platinum Member

This company is on Amazon but I called the company directly and they cut and bound a custom length to fit my 210P. I was getting tired of the cut yourself cheap runners I got from Lowes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 06:32 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
This company is on Amazon but I called the company directly and they cut and bound a custom length to fit my 210P. I was getting tired of the cut yourself cheap runners I got from Lowes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Thanks - that looks just about perfect. I wonder if they will do an L-shape? That's what I'm really needing.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote