Old 07-31-2017, 11:44 PM   #371
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
I don't think the alternator is delivering anything. If the regulator is kaput, the alternator delivers zip. Under this condition, the voltage seen at the alternator B+ terminal is more likely battery voltage.

Do they have a replacement MC-614?
Apparently not since they're waiting for a replacement from Balmar by way of Nations. Or if they do, they don't know how to program it. I'm not sure. They seem to be under the impression that Nations has to program the regulator though.

I was told they were on the phone today with Balmar and Nations troubleshooting it...

WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:12 AM   #372
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedRyno View Post
Apparently not since they're waiting for a replacement from Balmar by way of Nations. Or if they do, they don't know how to program it. I'm not sure. They seem to be under the impression that Nations has to program the regulator though.

I was told they were on the phone today with Balmar and Nations troubleshooting it...
No, nations doesn't have to program it. It's just that the MC-614 is supplied with a default program that permits altering to permit custom installations. In conversation with Balmar, I got the impression that Nations selects the program parameters for their alternators but Balmar sends them already programmed. I suggest you have your dealer make it clear to Nations that the application is for a 1600ah battery capacity because I would think that different battery capacities could warrant programming different timing sequences, i.e. the bulk charge duration could be different for 1600ah than it is for most commonly provided 400ah. It's possible that during production RT adjusts the program to meet the requirements for each coach.

Make sure that when the dealer mounts the replacement, it's located in such an obscure position that reading it puts a crick in your neck for a week. . Hey, consider that a very modest penance for buying a Roadtrek.

I believe the dead soldier (if it is dead) eventually gets back to Balmar for an autopsy.

cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:15 AM   #373
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
No, nations doesn't have to program it. It's just that the MC-614 is supplied with a default program that permits altering to permit custom installations. In conversation with Balmar, I got the impression that Nations selects the program parameters for their alternators but Balmar sends them already programmed. I suggest you have your dealer make it clear to Nations that the application is for a 1600ah battery capacity because I would think that different battery capacities could warrant programming different timing sequences, i.e. the bulk charge duration could be different for 1600ah than it is for most commonly provided 400ah. It's possible that during production RT adjusts the program to meet the requirements for each coach.

Make sure that when the dealer mounts the replacement, it's located in such an obscure position that reading it puts a crick in your neck for a week. . Hey, consider that a very modest penance for buying a Roadtrek.

I believe the dead soldier (if it is dead) eventually gets back to Balmar for an autopsy.
My credit card is showing quite enough penance thank you!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:21 AM   #374
Site Team

Everyone who owns a Balmar regulator should take the time to read and document its programming. It is not difficult to program a new one, but you need to know how the old one was programmed before it breaks.

Programming is done by activating a magnetic reed switch in a particular sequence that is documented in the Balmar manual. They come with a magnetic tool to do this, but any small magnet will work. Normally, a running Balmar flashes a sequence of codes that shows a summary of its operating state. You can use the magnet to put it into a "verbose" mode in which it reports its entire state, including all programmed parameters. They go by kind of quickly, so it can be tricky to record it all. The best thing to do is to use your phone to take a video of the entire sequence. You can then decode it at your leisure without the cricked neck.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 AM   #375
Platinum Member

If the Balmar is in a tough to see spot, it will be hard to program in place, and you would be better to program it before putting it in, I think, like Nations does.

Concerning the programming, how the absorption time was set would be really weird if the use the AGM setting for lithium, as lithium needs essentially zero absorption time if the voltage is set right. With the 14.4v of the AGM setting, you would really want zero absorption time as you are already past what many would want for state of charge for lithium.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:09 AM   #376
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If the Balmar is in a tough to see spot, it will be hard to program in place, and you would be better to program it before putting it in, I think, like Nations does.

Concerning the programming, how the absorption time was set would be really weird if the use the AGM setting for lithium, as lithium needs essentially zero absorption time if the voltage is set right. With the 14.4v of the AGM setting, you would really want zero absorption time as you are already past what many would want for state of charge for lithium.
"Ours" looks like it's pretty accessible...

Old 08-01-2017, 01:24 AM   #377
Site Team

Quote:
"Ours" looks like it's pretty accessible...
Yep. That is where I put mine, as well.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:10 AM   #378
Platinum Member

Probably a little late to ask, but why didn't the dealer just put you into one of their used units for the time you are stuck there? Are you in Ramsey or Garfield?
Old 08-01-2017, 03:13 AM   #379
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Probably a little late to ask, but why didn't the dealer just put you into one of their used units for the time you are stuck there? Are you in Ramsey or Garfield?
Not sure. I'm in the former.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:27 AM   #380
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not sure. I'm in the former.
Dale, the owner, is usually very good about taking care of the customers and a very nice guy besides. His new operations manager, who I met a while ago while there to get some stuff, not so much, I think. Seemed like a typical RV sales type to me. If Dale isn't involved, you may want to get him to intervene. Lake Regions has a very good reputation, and should have some experience with the lithium stuff by now.

It is also where Mumkin got her, used to be lithium, now AGM, unit that was so much trouble for her. They did grant her request to go to the AGMs though, to solve the issues she had.