Old 02-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 7yr dealer warranties on new Roadtreks

Has anyone seen the details of the long warranties that some of the Roadtrek dealers are offering, either for free or reduced price (claimed at their actual cost)?

It would be interesting, especially for those currently shopping the Roadtrek discounts, to have better idea of what is covered, deductibles, etc, I think. Sometimes the aftermarket warranties have so many exclusions in them that they really don't cover the important and expensive stuff, so I hope these would be the better versions, and comparable to the Roadtrek warranty.

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I would hope the Roadtrek situation showed people something about warranties in general. Let alone RV warranties. Id say to worry more about just buying a well made RV that uses components with good warranties individually. The majority of RV warranties are a joke.

mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Aftermarket warranties ALWAYS have so many exclusions as to make them ridiculously bad values. Either that or their business model is to go out of business when the claims start coming in. As I have discussed in detail elsewhere, it is simply financially impossible for such a warranty to be worth buying. They can't stay in business without making money, and they can't make money if they are paying out (on average) more than they are taking in.

There are two possible exceptions to this:
1) It is possible that the warranty companies are getting secret kickbacks from the dealers who are using these warranties as sales incentives. But, in this case you ought to be able to get the dealer to pay the kickback to you in the form of a lower price.

2) It is possible that the dealer is offering the warranty (which is really not a warranty but rather a prepaid service contract) directly, rather than through a third-party. This could possibly make financial sense, since the dealer would be doing the repairs themselves and thus doesn't have to pay profit to a third party. Also, they may place a cash value on keeping you "in the family" as a loyal customer, and keeping you coming back. However, in this case you are very likely limited to having all your repairs done at the selling dealer.

[#2 is the reason why an OEM extended warranty from the manufacturer of the chassis MIGHT be a good deal. The dealer has lots of ways of extracting money from loyal customers, and they own the supply chain of repair parts.]

It really is that simple. Except as per above, third party warranties simply CAN'T be a rational purchase. Yes, I fully realize that many people love them and there are lots of stories of people coming out ahead (or thinking they did). There are also lots of stories of people winning at roulette in Las Vegas.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Some dealers are making a warranty part of the deal... giving it to the buyer. some are offering the warranty at their "cost" ... and some seem to be just hawking the same one that they always have with any deal. I don't recall reading of anyone getting a 7 year warranty.

I don't plan to buy one. The reason that I bought a Simplicity was that it has the 'simple' mostly tried and true systems. And I've always been a believer in self-insuring.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Some dealers are making a warranty part of the deal... giving it to the buyer. some are offering the warranty at their "cost" ... and some seem to be just hawking the same one that they always have with any deal. I don't recall reading of anyone getting a 7 year warranty.

I don't plan to buy one. The reason that I bought a Simplicity was that it has the 'simple' mostly tried and true systems. And I've always been a believer in self-insuring.

I picked 7yr based on this one on ebay from Fretz RV.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Roadtr...2:pf:1&vxp=mtr

I am sure there are as many renditions and lengths as there are dealers
Old 02-26-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I usually give people who are thinking about an extended warranty a link to this overview which seems to cover most of the pros and cons...

https://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-extended-warranties.html
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Warranties are Insurance

Paying for a warranty is like buying any insurance. On average it won't pay, but it does protect you if you happen to be the unlucky one with lots of repair costs. If you can afford to pay out of pocket for major repairs, then you are better off saving your money.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #8
Gold Member

We have been in touch with Truma, if you register the Truma Combi (Eco Plus) with them, we get two years warranty (if we do not register it is one year). Each of the OEM products has at least a year, but the issue is the wiring, plumbing etc, how likely is it that it will require a repair costing thousands? Wholesale Warranty offered Exclusionary policy (highest coverage) for $3800, 6 years, $200 deductible. Includes electrical/mechanical, not finishes (cabinets, upholstery) or batteries (which is standard for all of these policies). Is it likely we would spend $4K in repairs first 6 years? I know, no guarantees, just trying to play the odds...we are not DIY people.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
Paying for a warranty is like buying any insurance. On average it won't pay, but it does protect you if you happen to be the unlucky one with lots of repair costs. If you can afford to pay out of pocket for major repairs, then you are better off saving your money.
Insurance is rational as a means of pooling risk in situations where the probability of incurring the risk is low but the potential exposure is catastrophic. Examples are homeowners insurance, automotive liability insurance, and major medical insurance. In such a situation, you HOPE to lose--the best possible outcome is that you avoid catastrophe.

An RV "extended warranty" is exactly the opposite. The probability of encountering a claim is quite high, but never catastrophic. Anybody who can afford an RV can afford to get it fixed when it breaks. People who buy such contracts are betting that they will be "lucky" (i.e., UN-lucky). On average, they will lose that bet, and there is no good reason to take it.

The economics of the two situations are TOTALLY different. One makes sense, the other does not.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper View Post
We have been in touch with Truma, if you register the Truma Combi (Eco Plus) with them, we get two years warranty (if we do not register it is one year). Each of the OEM products has at least a year, but the issue is the wiring, plumbing etc, how likely is it that it will require a repair costing thousands? Wholesale Warranty offered Exclusionary policy (highest coverage) for $3800, 6 years, $200 deductible. Includes electrical/mechanical, not finishes (cabinets, upholstery) or batteries (which is standard for all of these policies). Is it likely we would spend $4K in repairs first 6 years? I know, no guarantees, just trying to play the odds...we are not DIY people.

If that is a typical policy and it doesn't cover batteries, that would take out coverage of the most expensive, and also probably most likely to fail, item in an Ecotrek equipped Roadtrek, leaving only lesser cost items.