Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #21
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: California
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
Interesting about the absorption refrigerator power usage being 200 - 400 watts. That's about double what I thought (I think I'll hang a Kill-a-watt on my rig to see what mine is).

Running your absorption unit on AC on a slope will kill it. Regardless of the source of the heat input, the evaporation and condensation plumbing needs to be level.

Not having to deal with that is pushing me toward a compressor-type. But I really like the freedom from electricity worries that propane provides, so I keep my old Norcold.

[Edit] The Kill-a-watt says 180 watts AC being drawn by the Norcold in my 2004 unit, with the temp control set to max and the refrigerator interior starting at about 65 degrees F.
At 70F, I got about the same reading, but when it' was hot and the sun was bearing down on the rig in 90+degrees F heat in Reno, I saw 400 watts.

Other than the horrible efficiency on AC power, it's rather nice, it goes for several weeks on a tank of propane. Hence my dilemma... I asked an Air-conditioning/refrigeration guy if I could add a compressor based cooling unit to the absorption system and he didn't think it was a good idea.
__________________

Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:32 PM   #22
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 1,138
Default Altitude, altitude, altitude.....it makes a difference

I'm replacing my absorption refrigerator for several reasons.

1. It failed.
2. It doesn't work over 3,250 feet; says so right in the owners manual. By the way, a new propane refrigerator will only work properly to 5,500 feet.
3. My old Dometic 8501 had poor wiring and actually burned up....it was clearly a refrigerator issue, not the coach wiring.

You can get a brand new "high efficiency" compressor refrigerator.... they do make them.....not inexpensive.

Check out Nova Kool.

I really don't care what some people have said about what I'm doing.... I know exactly what's going on with my RV and it's getting professionally installed by someone I can trust. If you want to be certain about your situation and safety.... and I personally don't think propane refrigerators are a good idea....hire a professional..... good luck.
__________________

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #23
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 1,138
Default Yes, anything can burn, but..... it's not near a propane flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
What do the burnt wires have to do with propane, did the propane flame burn the wire?
Wires can also burn on a ac/dc unit.
Absolutely correct, however, I'm not going to have an open flame right next to the source...... huge difference.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #24
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 312
Default

A couple of things. My Dometic 3-way 2310 is going on 22 years old. When it goes I'll also bit the bullet and get a compressor fridge. It will mean buying a more expensive fridge and upgrading battery capacity along with solar and all the respective chargers. Not inexpensive; but I'll probably do it.

But as a side comment....I'm guessing that it probably varies from make to make and model to model but I've NEVER had an altitude problem. This summer I was at 9000ft on three different occasions and the fridge worked fine: always 36-40deg. Outside day temperatures in the 80s.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #25
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Washington
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Absolutely correct, however, I'm not going to have an open flame right next to the source...... huge difference.
You say you don't want "an open flame right next to the source"

So, the suspense is killing me.... "source" of what?

Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:14 PM   #26
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I
I really don't care what some people have said about what I'm doing....

But then you did ask if people agreed with you?
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #27
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 1,138
Default Compressor refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J Phillips View Post
You say you don't want "an open flame right next to the source"

So, the suspense is killing me.... "source" of what?

Dave
Dave, my old propane refrigerator was a POS.. and please remember that it took a propane flame to operate the absorption refrigerator whenever I was not on shore power...

Plus, it failed at high elevations, something that I should have known, my fault, it was in the owners manual.
Again, people saying that they were at 9,000 feet and having no issues .. I have to question that. Sure, if you are at this altitude and plugged into power it is not a problem.

I know that you're not supposed to use this while driving, refueling, etc.

In addition to the elevation issues, the refrigerator cooling was completely inconsistent and had me scrambling for ice and ice chests too many times.

My 3 way, which should have also worked on the batteries didn't work on this either.....

This is NOT GOOD ☹️ and doesn't make for a pleasant RV experience. I'd rather just stay home and enjoy life.

RV'S are not meant to be a hassle.

With a high efficiency, 2 amps per hour, my new
compressor refrigerator, solar panels, and two marine AGM batteries I have confirmed that the system should last for more than a day easily.

If I cannot rely on the system I have I'm just going to replace it with a new system.

I have zero confidence in Dometic.

New unit is strictly AC/DC.. . And, the propane system is being completely removed for a refrigerator...

I still have a propane tank, heater and generator.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:11 PM   #28
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 312
Default

RA: Sorry but I should have been clearer. 9000ft on propane. Look, I can only report my experiences with my old Dometic and altitude. I'm not going to lie. What could possibly be my gain? If you say you were having problems; I believe you. But I am not experiencing the same. And I did say that there's probably variance from model to model, etc. Perhaps the newer ones do have some limitation. I can only report my situation. Regardless of your experience and what the manual for your unit or Dometic states, it doesn't alter my experience.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:19 PM   #29
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Washington
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Dave, my old propane refrigerator was a POS.. and please remember that it took a propane flame to operate the absorption refrigerator whenever I was not on shore power...

Plus, it failed at high elevations, something that I should have known, my fault, it was in the owners manual.
Again, people saying that they were at 9,000 feet and having no issues .. I have to question that. Sure, if you are at this altitude and plugged into power it is not a problem.

I know that you're not supposed to use this while driving, refueling, etc.

In addition to the elevation issues, the refrigerator cooling was completely inconsistent and had me scrambling for ice and ice chests too many times.

My 3 way, which should have also worked on the batteries didn't work on this either.....

This is NOT GOOD ☹️ and doesn't make for a pleasant RV experience. I'd rather just stay home and enjoy life.

RV'S are not meant to be a hassle.

With a high efficiency, 2 amps per hour, my new
compressor refrigerator, solar panels, and two marine AGM batteries I have confirmed that the system should last for more than a day easily.

If I cannot rely on the system I have I'm just going to replace it with a new system.

I have zero confidence in Dometic.

New unit is strictly AC/DC.. . And, the propane system is being completely removed for a refrigerator...

I still have a propane tank, heater and generator.
Clear write-up & I get that you aren't happy with the absorption reefer's performance but, unfortunately, you still failed to answer my question - what this mysterious "source" is that you don't want an open flame near?

Here is your quote:
Absolutely correct, however, I'm not going to have an open flame right next to the source...... huge difference.
This is what I am unclear about - what are you saying?

Beyond that, last year we went to Yellowstone at 8-9000ft and had no problems with ours. BTW, I run mine on 12v when driving because it seems to cool better when driving for some reason (I think it has to do with the wind while driving blowing the heat away from the boiler?), and when I get to a campsite I switch to propane if boondocking or, if we are in a campground with a hook-up, I will use 120v.

Actually, I would like to upgrade to a compressor unit someday but I don't want to spend the money upgrading our electrical system right now.

I do wish you wouldn't treat all of us that use a 3 way as if we just can't comprehend the advantages and assuming we are lying to you when we say ours works fine - not cool.

Basically, you decided to make the upgrade and are busy trying to get all of us to agree with your choice. OK, I agree it is a good upgrade.

Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #30
Silver Member
 
NFRicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas and Maine
Posts: 66
Default

I want to get rid of my propane tank..Guess I will have have to take it to an RV place to do that?
Want to go all electric...hate it, have never used it...scared of it...
__________________

__________________
RS
2004 Pleasure Way “Completely Redone” -
All University of Texas Decor!! “Hook ‘EM” ~0~
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.