Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2021, 11:52 PM   #21
Platinum Member

analog:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/a...1&d=1629244322
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6451.JPG (24.1 KB, 37 views)
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:28 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
ARV generates a warning message and tone on the dash if one tries to start the van with the SmartPlug attached. Not sure how or when they added that feature, but it is nice to have.
I didn’t have the warning on Alvar 2015 ARV but have it on Mies 2021. I’m not sure the old twist lock and screw clamp would just pull out. It didn’t on my 2005 Pleasure-way. I got on the road before hearing the cord dangling behind the van. They both pull out at the power box easily since they are basically the same connection.

Pretty easy to prevent on the Smartplug. Just don’t close the cover all the way with the catch. The two clamps with rounded grasps seem like they would give way but I’m not going to test it. Also, with an under the back bumper connection if it happens there would be no damage to the body. With my 2015 ARV delayed from 2014 because of the articulating bed development I had their first build but they had already cut the hole on the side of the van. The next van out the door had the under the back bumper connection.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:50 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Never had a problem with a dirty outlet. The only time I had an issue with plugging in was when the pedestal was in the middle of a large puddle of ankle-deep water. No way to get to it without wading in; I decided I didn't need shore power *that* badly.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Never had a problem with a dirty outlet. The only time I had an issue with plugging in was when the pedestal was in the middle of a large puddle of ankle-deep water. No way to get to it without wading in; I decided I didn't need shore power *that* badly.
I don't mind a little lake around an electrical pedestal. It's the ones around the dump station (which happen all the time) that gross me out.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #25
Gold Member

To prevent driving off with the shore power cord, or anything else, attached just do a walk around before you leave.
mikeehlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:31 PM   #26
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeehlert View Post
To prevent driving off with the shore power cord, or anything else, attached just do a walk around before you leave.
Unfortunately, some of us (ME) have to drive off first, then do walk arounds.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Unfortunately, some of us (ME) have to drive off first, then do walk arounds.

Bud

Hasn't happened to me yet. But happened to the prior owner of my van.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #28
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post

Hasn't happened to me yet. But happened to the prior owner of my van.

Hey rowiebowie, now you're egging me on, not all that nice, but that was leaving my home. About 2000 miles way:

Next, I'm in a campground just outside of Jackson, WY. Drive off, stop to dump my trash and notice some cable thing trailing 50 feet behind the van! I left sitting at the campground still on a little tripod a SatCom TV Satellite Antenna. It was fine, the cable............ Just replaced then end of the coax cable. Same with the plug with the power cord, 'Luck Happens' too - not just the other stuff.

Maybe there should be a Thread: 'Dumb Sh*t B Stories'. I would guess that it might set a record for number of pages!

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:33 PM   #29
Bronze Member

Few people other than tent campers use the 20amp outlet. You'll have better luck using your 30amp cord and the 30 amp outlet.
ikanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:44 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikanode View Post
Few people other than tent campers use the 20amp outlet. You'll have better luck using your 30amp cord and the 30 amp outlet.
I must be one of the few. We don't camp in places where A/C is necessary so I rarely bring the 30A cord along. It takes up too much space. I'd rather store a rubber jacketed flexible 12ga 20A cord that takes up much less space and stays flexible in the cold.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:22 PM   #31
Silver Member

""I'd rather store a rubber jacketed flexible 12ga 20A cord that takes up much less space and stays flexible in the cold.""

I also have a 30 amp cord but prefer the 15A cord for ease of use and storage. The lighted plug is a handy quick check too. Our max amp draw is 12-13 A.

I did put a stubby short 30A male to 15A female adapter in my kit recently though as another option.
Ken Allan is offline   Reply With Quote