Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2023, 01:47 PM   #1

Default Roof fan Road trek 2008

Hi I am sure this question has been asked before, but I’ll be darned if I can find it in the search. Anyway, we’re trying to figure out the operation of the roof fan. It only seems to have one speed? The only way we can get it to operate is the turn the thermostat all the way on and then turn the speed which seems to have three different stops on it, but only the very last one works, and it runs on high. Maybe somebody did some Jerry rigging to it at sometime. But, first can somebody tell me the make and model of the fan so I can go and figure out how it’s supposed to work.
Thanks for any help
Michael
mangomike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 02:11 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike1 View Post
Hi I am sure this question has been asked before, but I’ll be darned if I can find it in the search. Anyway, we’re trying to figure out the operation of the roof fan. It only seems to have one speed? The only way we can get it to operate is the turn the thermostat all the way on and then turn the speed which seems to have three different stops on it, but only the very last one works, and it runs on high. Maybe somebody did some Jerry rigging to it at sometime. But, first can somebody tell me the make and model of the fan so I can go and figure out how it’s supposed to work.
Thanks for any help
Michael
Reasonable chance it is corrosion, spray with electrical stuff or carb cleaner.............
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 02:15 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You need to try and find out the manufacturer of the fan and then you can look up specifications or manual. It sounds like it is on its last leg and worn out. Just replace with a new fan that is remote controlled which works pulling and pushing of air with temperature settings.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 03:15 PM   #4
Platinum Member

many of us have a fantastic fan- yours sounds similar to mine ( on a PleasureWay)

In addition to the 0123 speed switch, there is the temp control. There is also a plunger switch above to cut power when the lid is closed. ( by removing screen a fork can be used to wiggle the plunger if it is stuck off- once home can wriggle up and drop some contact cleaner down the plunger and work it to clean the contacts ( edit- see post below, I just dropped my fan)

electrics can stop working due to dirty/corroded connection, possible your switch issue-

often this can be solved by " exercising" the switch, working it through the positions to clean the contacts internally

carb cleaner is not suitable. A plastic safe ( not all are) electrical contact cleaner such as deoxit can clean the contacts- I also use this anytime I am working on electrics to prevent issues- available in a spray can, but a liquid bottle with a needle dripper is more controlable.

as mentioned above the upgrade with reversing function can be useful
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 03:18 PM   #5

Yep, the make I’m pretty sure is afan tasting and I think roadtrek had it modified so it does not pull air in. They did this for safety so that people would not pull in the exhaust. But I can’t find a model number anywhere on it so if anyone knows the model number and manufacturer of the fan that was put into a 2008 road trek to 10 popular.????
Thanks
mangomike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 04:15 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike1 View Post
Yep, the make I’m pretty sure is afan tasting and I think roadtrek had it modified so it does not pull air in. They did this for safety so that people would not pull in the exhaust. But I can’t find a model number anywhere on it so if anyone knows the model number and manufacturer of the fan that was put into a 2008 road trek to 10 popular.????
Thanks

It would be a Fantastic fan that was bare bones, and Roadtrek did not alter it to be single speed or no reverse. They came as 3 speed manual control with no reverse, but with a mechanical thermostat.

Fantastic is now owned by Dometic so you would need to check with them on parts.

The speed is on a three way switch and would probably run by adding resistance to the circuit to the van to slow the fan speed. Those resistors could be on or in the switch or on a separate circuit board. It is only 4 screws to drop the the guts out from the inside of the van, so will need to do that to get to the switch which is in the panel you drop out. You probably either need a new switch or resistor stack/board depending on how they did it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 06:38 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post

The speed is on a three way switch and would probably run by adding resistance to the circuit to the van to slow the fan speed. Those resistors could be on or in the switch or on a separate circuit board.

It is only 4 screws

I just dropped mine to clean the contacts- 5 screws plus the knob

The speed switch uses coil resistors

Being where it is and what it does, there is a good mount of dirt, I cleaned mine with a paint brush then used deoxit on the electric connections incl. plunger switch
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 07:15 PM   #8
Bud
Platinum Member

A switch can easily be added to a Fantastic Fan to reverse the air flow. I also purchased a variable speed control, but have not installed it.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 11:47 PM   #9
Platinum Member

mkguitar wrote:

often this can be solved by " exercising" the switch, working it through the positions to clean the contacts internally

Try that first. Just slowly rotate it through all its positions back and forth for several times, more the merrrier. That takes two or three minutes and costs nothing. I'm cheap and always try the simplest thing first.

Search Fantastic Fans for RVs on Amazon and you will see a bunch of alternatives.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote