Old 12-02-2010, 02:48 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Roof vent? what about heat!

Sounds like a project for sure. For any complex repairs to the Ford chassis,
including the dash heater/ac, rear door, and turn signals, you might want to see
if there's a trusted garage or Ford dealership near you. If they aren't able to do the
fix ups cheap, they may be able to suggest someone who could. I'd get the turn signals,
heater/ac, and rear door fixed first, at Ford, if you can "af-Ford" it. Tires can be got pretty
much anywhere, but make sure you get the correct ones for the weight and handling
characteristics of the 1980 Eldorado Motorhome. Don't put P rated tires on it, if it needs
LT (light truck) tires, or you may wind up with more repairs than you already have when
they blow. This is worth looking into before you get new ones. Make sure you do.
If you can afford it, maybe try a Discount Tire store. I got a great deal earlier this year
on a set of 4 Michelins for my Roadtrek 190P.

BTW, does it look like this one?
http://www.thebiglot.com/auto_photos.as ... =Nebraska&
Not a bad looking rig, if it does. More of a B plus, or a wide-body, possibly the first one ever!!!!

The leaks and the roof hatch/vent can probably be worked on by you, if you have the time and
energy to try it. I don't know about spraying bed liner - I'm not familiar with what it'll do or
look like, but it's up to you if you think it'll work. Maybe ask for a second opinion at an RV
shop or a Ford dealer. They may have some experience with leak sealants and their relative
effectiveness. Might be worth a go, but it's not my van.
One thing you may or may not have, is rust behind the inside walls on the van, unless the outer
panels are fiberglass or carbon fiber or some other non-metallic substance. It's a 30 year old
vehicle, and before you spend any real money on it, you want to make sure it's not going to
rust out from under you, with the long term exposure to damp and moisture. If the body behind
the cab isn't metal, you might be OK.

That's all I can think of for now. Maybe some of the other forumites have some ideas?
Be patient. Don't start getting ahead of yourself, as the temptation to get it ready to go
is pretty hard to resist. Try to draw up a plan of attack, and prioritize your repairs by "need
to do" versus "nice to do".
Good luck.
UPDATE- I now realize after looking at the pictures I found, that Ford probably won't be
able to fix your rear door as it's not OEM. Maybe the RV place could help with it as well
as the other body integrity issues. Also, although it's not recommended, you can probably run
the propane furnace at low speeds around town, but I wouldn't try it on the highway. If you
try it and the thing keeps blowing out that will tell you it's NOT a good idea. Also, DO NOT
go anywhere near a gasoline or propane filling station while any propane appliances are on,
or could be started. It's also a good idea to turn off or disable your coach batteries when you
need to get gasoline. If that shuts off your furnace, fridge, etc., that's a good thing.
After refueling, you can drive away from the pumps, stop, and then restart whatever.

RV - 2016 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE (Ford F53, Triton V10 3 valve, 6 speed transmission) - SOLD (sort of)
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuZ
needs plumbed (toilet goes to ground) etc etc..Some one hand me a life jacket I think I just jumped in to it lol
Saves messy and potentially embarrassing trips to the dump stations. Nice touch.

RV - 2016 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE (Ford F53, Triton V10 3 valve, 6 speed transmission) - SOLD (sort of)
Old 12-02-2010, 03:41 AM   #13
KuZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Tires can be got pretty
much anywhere, but make sure you get the correct ones for the weight and handling
characteristics of the 1980 Eldorado Motorhome. Don't put P rated tires on it, if it needs
LT (light truck) tires, or you may wind up with more repairs than you already have when
they blow. This is worth looking into before you get new ones. Make sure you do.
If you can afford it, maybe try a Discount Tire store. I got a great deal earlier this year
on a set of 4 Michelins for my Roadtrek 190P.

BTW, does it look like this one?
http://www.thebiglot.com/auto_photos.as ... =Nebraska&
It looks somewhat like that van, though that one is larger, here is the pic from the add that was selling my van..ill be putting more pics up latter and starting a project thread..

Also mine has been gutted of everything but the table and couch and a porta john at the back and someone cut a hole in the back and mounted a house ac unit. I do think the body is all fiberglass..

How would I go about knowing what tires are supposed to be used? I do not want to just look at the tires that are on it as there is no guarantee they will be correct..

And as for disconnecting the battery's, the only battery's are the two under the hood, and there is no shut off other than the engine key...
KuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I'm not an expert but what I would do is, when in doubt, try contacting the original manufacturer.
If they're long gone, look for the tire specs in the Eldorado owner's manual if there is one.
If you can't find it there, go to a reputable tire retailer (like Discount Tire) and ask them what they think.
The type and capacity of your tires will depend on several factors including the weight of the vehicle.
If it weighs more than a few thousand pounds, it likely requires stronger sidewalled tires with the
LT designation at the beginning of the size, like LT245 75R16 load range E, for example.
Some smaller, lighter, RVs probably can use P rated tires at lower load ranges (like load range D).
Ask a local RV dealer what they think, but get the tires somewhere else as the RV place is
probably more expensive.
2 batteries under the hood? Do you know if one of them is a "house" or "coach" battery to run your
12V DC stuff in the back of your van? Would the manual tell you if your van has 2 starter batteries?
If one of them is much heavier physically, or has a Deep Cycle reference on it somewhere, it's most
likely your house battery. There should be a way to disconnect it, either by a switch or a battery
disconnect of some sort, to help keep it from discharging when you're not using the van, or when
you just want to turn off the 12V current to your appliances. Again, check the owner's manual if there
is one.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
KuZ

Thanks for the advice mike, ill make some calls. I haven't been able to locate an owners manual, the seller didn't have one. The batteries look like regular automotive batteries as for powering stuff in the coach, everything but a couple of lights have been gutted, and those don't work.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #16
Platinum Member

No owner's manual? That's very common on older conversions, many on here have the
same problem. You may be able to get in touch with the manufacturer, or just try googling
the heck out of "need owner's manual" for your make/model.
You might also try browsing the NADAGuides website. They have a contact email, and I've
asked them questions about older models. They do reply if you're polite!
http://www.nadaguides.com/
Or, try joining RV Net and ask over there. There are folks on there that have all types of
RVs and motorhomes and it's a good source for expertise and knowledge, too. It's free to join.
http://www.rv.net/

As always, good luck.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:13 AM   #17
KuZ

Tok some more pics today, heres a few pics of the two under the hood battieres.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:24 AM   #18
KuZ

I may have mentioned that the turn signals are not working, Well I replaced all the fuses hoping that might be the issue as one was wrapped in tin foil! but no luck..The emergancy hazard flasher works though, flashing 3 of the 4 red signal lenses but not making the right hand turn signal indicator in dash light up, and the red right turn signal closest to the curb on the back, does not flash..I wonder if this might have something to do with the turn signal, either way needs to be fixed..

Took some pics of what I am dealing with.
Just a pic of the back of the rig

and a close up of the non working light. i

here you can almost see a a wire that is wrapped through one of the 3 mounting screw holes,

and here I have pulled the light out, its a self contained unit but I could not find any manufacturer info. you can see how there are two wires coming out of the housing, but whats the deal with this third wire hooked to the screw hole?
Old 12-04-2010, 04:15 AM   #19
Platinum Member

They look like starter batteries to me.
No idea about the signal lights. Extra ground wire to the frame through the
fibreglass body? Maybe a poorly designed DIY trailer hitch connection? Does it
have a hitch mount?
Are there any vocational high schools or colleges near where you live that teach
automotive repair or engineering? You might try taking the van to them, and
letting the students have a look at it all. It might not cost you as much as a
regular RV shop, and they might appreciate the opportunity to troubleshoot a
real vehicle with real issues and some puzzles, too. They might not charge you
anything.
Just a thought.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Must be a ground wire as Mike already mentioned.

Are all the bulbs tested and working?