Old 04-17-2017, 04:27 AM   #1

Default Saving a Spot

Good evening,

I am in the research stage, and I have what is probably a newbie question.

When you are camping for multiple nights at a campground, what do you to reserve the spot when you are out for the day?

I imagine that my experience is going to involve a lot of days when I drive my van to various local attractions, then return to a home base at night. I am concerned that the spot I paid for at the start of my trip will have been snagged by another camper. I am also concerned that all the spots will be gone once I come back even though I am a paying guest.

Do you mark the spot, rely on the campground management to not rent it out, or something else? Is this a source of a lot of frustration for you, or not so much a big deal?

Getaway Mike

Getaway Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I learned this the hard way. I share the same experience as mentioned on rv.net If you have a reserved sign and a traffic cone, it will be completely ignored. You will be lucky if you find it in a nearby culvert, otherwise it likely will make a one way trip to a dumpster.

I'm looking at a trailer myself. A Yakima Rack & Roll trailer seems almost ideal. It is compact enough to actually fit on the back of a "B" and be stashed vertically in a garage, while having enough presence, especially if chained down, to deter a claim jumper. Of course, a trailer isn't something I'd want on the road with me all the time, but if I know it is a first come/first served area, it provides a good marker that a site is reserved.

mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I use hazardous material tape:
https://www.amazon.com/Presco-Barric...+material+tape
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Also leaving out a pair of size 18 sneakers helps.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
Bronze Member

This past weekend, we were at a National Park Campground, complete with camp host and periodic park police patrols. Our neighbor had a little guy trailer and whenever they left camp, they put a wheel locking boot on the trailer. You might call it paranoid, but they seemed like seasoned campers.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have a collapsable cone- never had a problem, never seen a problem.

as simple devices as beach towel on the table or chair in the parking spot will work

If you have a "spot" and have made payment, then it's the responsibility of whoever accepted payment to enforce

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #7
Site Team

I don't know where all you folks camp. We've been all over the country for 12 years now, and we've never worried about our campsite, and have NEVER had an issue--and we do a LOT of tourist day-trips from the campground. If there ever were a question, we've assumed that our receipt and a visit to the office would straighten it out. As I say, though, we have never had occasion to test that theory.

We don't do commercial campgrounds, so maybe that is where the problem lies?
Old 04-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I'm with avanti. Not saying it doesn't, or can't happen, but in the over forty years I've been camping, I've never had anyone try to take any site I've paid for. I've just never worried about it.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:32 PM   #9
Platinum Member

We must be bad luck compared to others. We have had 3 episodes of problems.

We had a really nice mat stolen while at a provincial park in Canada. We were gone for about an hour with the van, and way ahead of check out time.

We had some kids grab all our stuff and throw it all over the place at a KOA while the van was there and we were on a hike.

We had a van full of people throw our blocks, mat, chairs, off into the weeds and move into our paid, reserved, spot in Custer State Park in South Dakota. The camp hosts had just stepped in when we got back to the site and they had to threaten to call the sheriff to get them to move. All they did was keep repeating "we want this spot so we won't leave".
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:14 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
I like how your mind works.

B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote