Old 01-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #1

Default Winterizing 2019 Crossfit w/ Truma Combi

I recently purchased a 2019 Coachmen Crossfit. My unit has the Truma Combi (furnace/water heater). I have heard numerous conflicting answers to winterizing the unit. It does not have a bypass for the Truma. I have heard it needs a bypass. I have also heard it doesn’t need a bypass, you fill the tank with antifreeze.
Different service shops have different answers... Nobody seems to know for sure.
Is there anyone with the same set-up, that winterizes their own unit, that can set me straight on this?
I appreciate the help on this!

Russ T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I downloaded a copy of the Truma manual and it says that "winterizing with a winterizing fluid is only possible with an installed bypass kit (not in scope of supply)."

I hate the way RV antifreeze leaves a residual odor so would prefer to winterize using compressed air (careful to not blow apart the fittings.)

Old 01-30-2019, 11:18 PM   #3
Gold Member

My understanding is that to winterize, you need to drain the Truma and then either rely on compressed air to winterize (no RV fluid); or use RV Fluid and fill the Truma completely. If you fill the Truma with fluid, you cannot use the furnace, as the heat from the furnace will cause issues with the RV fluid in the hot water tank (corrosion or gumming up of the Truma or....not sure).

I winterized twice so far, each time I drained the Truma, then filled it with RV fluid (3 gallons total), then drained the fluid from the Truma and used compressed air to blow out the RV fluid from all the plumbing so none would end up back in the Truma tank. I re-used the 3 gallons that I drained.

Next summer I'm putting in a bypass. It looks like I can do that w/o too much trouble - Mine is the 'C' model so the Truma is under the sink and fairly accessible.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I winterized my Truma for the first time last year. I just flipped the bypass on and opened the hot water faucets and the pressure valve and drain valve and let the tank empty. I then put pink stuff through the water system but not through the Truma. Works fine this year.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Just blow it out. The pink stuff is gross and pointless in the fresh system.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:19 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I can't begin to justify allocating space in my B to carry my compressor so the pink stuff is not pointless for me since I do not trust my coach to drain naturally.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:25 PM   #7
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
I winterized my Truma for the first time last year. I just flipped the bypass on and opened the hot water faucets and the pressure valve and drain valve and let the tank empty. I then put pink stuff through the water system but not through the Truma. Works fine this year.
Unfortunately some Coachmen don't have a bypass. Otherwise that method would work & be preferred.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:39 PM   #8
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Been there. Done that. Busted a shower faucet. Flooded the camper.

On that camper ( an all aluminum Livinlite Camplite) a flood was a minor inconvenience. The camper has aluminum frame, roof, walls and floor, with zero wood, so I just let it drain. No harm, no foul.

On a 'B'? I have no idea how I'd get the OSB under the one-piece fiberglass bathroom unit to dry out. Don't want to have to figure that out either.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 PM   #9
Platinum Member

If you are blowing out the lines with compressed air, you need a compressor that lets you limit the output pressure. Winnebago recommends no higher than 25 psi. At 25 psi, you won't damage anything.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:19 PM   #10
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsPaseo View Post
If you are blowing out the lines with compressed air, you need a compressor that lets you limit the output pressure. Winnebago recommends no higher than 25 psi. At 25 psi, you won't damage anything.
Yep. In my case the air didn't bust the faucet, the -24f temperature combined with a very small amount of leftover water did. The faucet busted on the low pressure side, so I didn't know it was busted until I took a shower months later, and the water came out in the wall, not in the shower.

In any case, I've settled on the air->RV fluid->air method as the best way to make sure that things don't go 'break' in the middle of winter; while still minimizing RV fluid wastage.

Tags
crossfit, truma, winterize