Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-22-2019, 10:10 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ontario
Posts: 9
Default RV Suspension Lift and 4x4 Conversion Kits

There have been some "recent" developments in RV Lift Kits and 4x4 Conversion Kits so I thought I would put together a bit of an infomercial. It is no longer necessary to piece together random truck parts to lift your van.

Boulder has Chevy kits and you will see some Roadtrek 4x4 conversions in their gallery. I haven't found much information on them but here they are:
Home

U-Joint Offroad has Ford Econoline 4x4 stuff:
4x4 Van Conversion kits



Weldtech has Ford and Chevrolet. They have several videos of RV lifts including Roadtreks and 4x4 conversions of Chevy vans. They also have lifts for Ford Econolines.
Ford: https://weldtecdesigns.com/product-c...gn=SteveRivett
Chevrolet: https://weldtecdesigns.com/product-c...gn=SteveRivett




I have a 2004 Roadtrek Popular 190 which sits pretty low. Roadtrek used to sell rear leaf spacers as a part solution but I'm not looking pretty seriously at a Weldtech kit to do all 4 corners. You can start at a 2" lift or go up to 5" plus the height of taller tires. I have installed a rear Hellwig 7635 swaybar on my RV which has helped the ride a lot but obviously no gains in ride height.
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f7...tall-9787.html

I assume there is somebody out there doing newer Fords, Nissans, and Mercedes. Feel free to add to the thread if you have more info!
__________________

Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
There have been some "recent" developments in RV Lift Kits and 4x4 Conversion Kits so I thought I would put together a bit of an infomercial. It is no longer necessary to piece together random truck parts to lift your van.

Boulder has Chevy kits and you will see some Roadtrek 4x4 conversions in their gallery. I haven't found much information on them but here they are:
Home

U-Joint Offroad has Ford Econoline 4x4 stuff:
4x4 Van Conversion kits



Weldtech has Ford and Chevrolet. They have several videos of RV lifts including Roadtreks and 4x4 conversions of Chevy vans. They also have lifts for Ford Econolines.
Ford: https://weldtecdesigns.com/product-c...gn=SteveRivett
Chevrolet: https://weldtecdesigns.com/product-c...gn=SteveRivett




I have a 2004 Roadtrek Popular 190 which sits pretty low. Roadtrek used to sell rear leaf spacers as a part solution but I'm not looking pretty seriously at a Weldtech kit to do all 4 corners. You can start at a 2" lift or go up to 5" plus the height of taller tires. I have installed a rear Hellwig 7635 swaybar on my RV which has helped the ride a lot but obviously no gains in ride height.
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f7...tall-9787.html

I assume there is somebody out there doing newer Fords, Nissans, and Mercedes. Feel free to add to the thread if you have more info!

There are a lot of discussions on Chevy lifts on this forum, both spring and knuckle style, plus rears in new or modified springs and air bags. There was recently a poster, Hondo that did nearly all it and then did a full 4WD at a vendor he had found.



My opinion is knuckle lifts don't normally work out well for folks, rear spacers are a bad choice as the springs need to get off the overload leaf and spacer don't do that. A full specific designed 4WD conversion like Hondo does looked the best for getting 4WD to me.


We have had a front spring, rear airbag, lift of about 2" in our Chevy for nearly a decade with great results. The 2" on the Chevy puts it right back at factory spec ride height for a 3500 van so the suspension and steering work better. If you go much higher with springs you start to get handling issues like bump steer and limits on how much caster you can get.
__________________

booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:53 PM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 6
Default

Off Highway Van in SLC has a Promaster lift kit that people seem to really like.
n3ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,774
Default

I fear some of these videos are turning into pure manufacturer advertisements.


Stevemo's earlier posts, also all video based, could be construed as informative even though it also appears to be only posted to increase video view hits on videos.


Personally, if someone can get paid for this kind of stuff in some manor, as is probably on these posts, I don't have a big problem with it in many cases unless it is undeclared and like the last videos pure advertisements.


I understand we also get videos of new models, features, etc regularly from many posters and they have been no issue as they appear to be targeted toward information for board in general often by long term members. That does not appear to be the case here.


Personally, as long as manufacturers, dealers, and "ambassadors" are up front about who they are there is a lot of benefit to getting their information on here.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ontario
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I fear some of these videos are turning into pure manufacturer advertisements.

Stevemo's earlier posts, also all video based, could be construed as informative even though it also appears to be only posted to increase video view hits on videos.

Personally, if someone can get paid for this kind of stuff in some manor, as is probably on these posts, I don't have a big problem with it in many cases unless it is undeclared and like the last videos pure advertisements.

I understand we also get videos of new models, features, etc regularly from many posters and they have been no issue as they appear to be targeted toward information for board in general often by long term members. That does not appear to be the case here.

Personally, as long as manufacturers, dealers, and "ambassadors" are up front about who they are there is a lot of benefit to getting their information on here.
I am a member at a forum called Expedition Portal and I have been on there and here researching lift kits and 4x4 kits for vans. I own a 2004 Roadtrek Popular 190 and as mentioned I intend to install a lift on my van. I am up in the air between Boulder and Weldtech which are applicable to my van so I'm hoping to drum up some talk about them. I am kind of leaning towards Boulder because they offer upper control arms. I included the other manufacturers I was aware of because as you can see in the photos they do Class B RVs.
The "infomercial" part I eluded to is for the two Weldtech links which have an affiliate component to them if you look at the address. If you go to Weldtech's YouTube channel you can learn more about that there as they have a video about it. I was trying to be transparent about this without focusing on it as that was not my motivation for the post.
I do not have anything to do with any of the YouTube videos. I just picked them because they had RVs in them. That was my main motivation.

In the future I am planning on posting quite a few Chevrolet based Roadtrek maintenance videos that I have parts for. If you look at my videos (they have my name on them but were not posted in this thread) you will see they are Creative Commons and I do not make any money from people watching them. You will find some Amazon affiliate links in the text below the videos where I provide details on the parts and tools I used. To date, I have made a whopping $3.37 but Amazon won't pay out until I hit $10. I have probably spent $10k in parts and tools so it's a long way out of that hole.

Lastly, you will find a link on my YouTube website to The Archive where I scan and upload old manuals (some are PDFs I find on the internet like when I tried to save the Roadtrek website which was in jeopardy.) Anyway, I've put over a grand into that too buying catalogs and a scanner but there is no way to make money from it...I just do it for personal interest and want to fill a knowledge gap on the Internet. https://archive.org/details/@steverontario

Cheers, Steve
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:17 PM   #6
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3ix View Post
Off Highway Van in SLC has a Promaster lift kit that people seem to really like.
We just installed their kit two months ago, and increased our tire size a little more than 2" in diameter. Had to grind off some flanges in the wheel wells to make the tires fit, but that worked out fine. Between the kit and the tires, we got about 3.75" of lift front and back. Most importantly, the knuckle lift in back actually raises the axle (it's not just a cosmetic body lift). So we have over 10" of axle clearance now, which is wonderful compared to before. We also upgraded the rear struts for improved loaded performance. With a professional alignment, handling is fine. Perhaps a little more susceptible to cross winds, but absolutely worth it for the peace of mind when we boondock in BLM or NFS type areas (which we just finished doing for three weeks in Utah and Arizona).
__________________

VanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×