Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #1

Default Looking for a Volunteer

Hi, I'm a new member from NJ. I don't actually own a ProMaster (as yet), but I'm interested in finding a member who would like to try a custom fog lamp kit free of charge.
The kit includes two 55 watt Halogen Lamps, and a complete wiring kit with fuse and relay.
I'm interested in having a review done. If the review is positive, I'm open to advertising it on this forum. If anyone is interested, please let me know and I'll make arrangements to send the lamp kit.
automatcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:08 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatcentral View Post
The kit includes two 55 watt Halogen Lamps, and a complete wiring kit with fuse and relay.

Hi,

these days the value seems to be in LEDs

I figure you are doing market research

the value in LEDs is long service life and low power consumption per lumen, a good availability of color temperatures
etc

Good Luck, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #3

Thank you for your response. In addition to the halogen kit, I have LED lamp kits available to review. If anyone is interested, please let me know.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Hi: Are you referring to headlamp replacement system. I have read about problems with the existing headlight bulbs burning out frequently.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #5

Thanks for asking. No, these lamps are for the fog lamp locations.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #6
Platinum Member

OP, I appreciate your business initiative, but you might be facing a hard row to hoe. Some part - large? visible? - well, at least a noticeable part of the van community relies on Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply for its products. If Daniel doesn't have it or can't get it, either it doesn't exist or it represents a lateral move (I am not affiliated - I'm just a customer).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:19 AM   #7

Thanks for the information. It is helpful to know.

At this point I'm in the process of testing the product to see if it can be a viable option for the community.

If it can be, great...I'm sure another lighting option would be welcome.

If not, you can't fault me for not trying.

If someone is interested, please let me know.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Well, given that we are on the subject of fog lamps, maybe you could comment on the legality of them, which has never been clear to me.

The Texas code reads in part "aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam from a lamp mounted to the left of center on a vehicle projects a beam of light at a distance of 25 feet that is higher than four inches below the level of the center of the lamp".

And in practical terms, this is verified how? Vendors sell products whether they conform to local laws or not. And are such lights legal to use at will, or just in fog? I get conflicting anecdotal reports on that.

Also, a pic or two of your product might help. You said Promaster but is that the only van it would fit?

You can see my fog lights below the toe steps in this pic below. Plus one burned out headlight because I have had absolute hell trying to retrofit the original halogen headlights with LEDs, an exercise which was a total failure no matter the brand or the expense (they generally last less than 40 hours each). I have new halogens en route from Daniel Stern that are supposed to outperform the originals, something he imported from Germany. But I have not bothered to upgrade the fog lights.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:38 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Well, given that we are on the subject of fog lamps, maybe you could comment on the legality of them, which has never been clear to me.

The Texas code reads in part "aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam from a lamp mounted to the left of center on a vehicle projects a beam of light at a distance of 25 feet that is higher than four inches below the level of the center of the lamp".

And in practical terms, this is verified how? Vendors sell products whether they conform to local laws or not. And are such lights legal to use at will, or just in fog? I get conflicting anecdotal reports on that.

Also, a pic or two of your product might help. You said Promaster but is that the only van it would fit?

You can see my fog lights below the toe steps in this pic below. Plus one burned out headlight because I have had absolute hell trying to retrofit the original halogen headlights with LEDs, an exercise which was a total failure no matter the brand or the expense (they generally last less than 40 hours each). I have new halogens en route from Daniel Stern that are supposed to outperform the originals, something he imported from Germany. But I have not bothered to upgrade the fog lights.

Times of easy replacements to EU optics are long gone, swapping sealed beams to decent optics no longer possible as sealed beams are dead, rightfully so.

A few years ago, I purchased VW headlights in Germany for our US Volkswagen Golf, unfortunately it was a waste of money, required modification was just too extensive to change them. The key difference between EU and NA was up and down aiming devices.

Times of easy replacements to EU optics are long gone, swapping sealed beams to decent optics no longer possible as sealed beams are dead, rightfully so.

A few years ago, I purchased VW headlights in Germany for our US Volkswagen Golf, unfortunately it was a waste of money, required modification was just too extensive to change them. The key difference between EU and NA was up and down aiming automatic or manual devices.

I hope Daniel Stern knows about fitting EU lights on NA vehicle. I remember his critique of dark NA lights standards he published many years ago. Origins of sealed beam standard go back 100 years, having 15% of low beam going up to illuminated road signs. This standard lasted long time.

Good interview, just learn that Canada will allow ADP lights, not US. This is the future of headlight safety, time will tell when US will adapt it.
https://drivingintherealworld.com/pa...-daniel-stern/
https://drivingintherealworld.com/pa...-daniel-stern/
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:19 PM   #10
Platinum Member

in the motorcycle world many like the EU version - I don;t, I find that aiming the low beam correctly results in the high beams lighting the trees

I fiddled around with some of the led replacement capsules- generally producing gobs and gobs of light, but not focused correctly.

in harley and jeep world the round 7" trucklite leds are dandy, the right amount of light focused correctly and colour temperature is good for contrast and depth

Mike
Old 07-15-2020, 09:47 PM   #11

Quote:

Unfortunately, laws and regulations vary between states and jurisdictions within states. Not to mention enforcement varies wildly as well. It's nearly impossible for vendors to keep up with the details of all the ordinances.
LED Model with Halos:

Halogen Model:

The lamps are compatible with any model that can accommodate 3" round lamps. If you are interested in reviewing the fog lights, please let me know.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:36 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Many of our RV's have custom or non OEM front treatments and the RV model year is often 1 year newer than the chassis.

For instance my 2006 PleasureWay Lexor is built on a 2005 Chevrolet Express 3500.

The Ford Van, MB/Dodge Sprinter & Travato are also popular base for RV's

It may be difficult for you to come up with a "1 size fits all"

In my case the underside of the front bumper outside of the plastic "chin skirt" has a number of holes for attachment, but I don;t know if this would be available to other rv models

If you have an LED halo set similar to as pictured above which has a DRL function and is in a mountable housing I would check them out.

This would require vendor to provide product at no charge, and cover shipping

I have a background in electronics and am very demanding on lighting products, particularly color temperature and beam focus/spread

cheers, Mike
Old 07-15-2020, 11:09 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, laws and regulations vary between states and jurisdictions within states. Not to mention enforcement varies wildly as well....
Let's say that I'm willing to live dangerously. Help me with the headwork here... would your unit fit my configuration shown below?

(It's 94 degrees out and I just crawled under my van for you LOL.)

If they would fit without needing some kind of mod that I don't have time for, and without creating a power draw that exceeds the pieces of absolute crap that I currently have as placeholders in those slots, then I might be willing to give you an honest review on forums, IG and whatnot.

I don't know how much good this would do you, as I am an internet nobody, but that's a different issue.

Fog lights were on my list of things to improve, but they are priority #96 and so, to date, I had not devoted any brain cells to that task.

Please excuse the dirt. My van is 14 years old and the ground effects show some wear, but I'm typically meticulous about cleanliness. This is as dirty as it has ever been.

Old 07-17-2020, 04:37 PM   #14

[QUOTE=InterBlog;112021]I don't know how much good this would do you, as I am an internet nobody, but that's a different issue.

The purpose of the review is just to vet the viability of the kit with your vehicle, similar vehicles, and to compile a step by step installation guide. A 3.5" round fog lamp LED set should fit well within your fog lamp openings.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Many of our RV's have custom or non OEM front treatments and the RV model year is often 1 year newer than the chassis.

For instance my 2006 PleasureWay Lexor is built on a 2005 Chevrolet Express 3500.

The Ford Van, MB/Dodge Sprinter & Travato are also popular base for RV's

It may be difficult for you to come up with a "1 size fits all"

In my case the underside of the front bumper outside of the plastic "chin skirt" has a number of holes for attachment, but I don;t know if this would be available to other rv models

If you have an LED halo set similar to as pictured above which has a DRL function and is in a mountable housing I would check them out.

This would require vendor to provide product at no charge, and cover shipping

I have a background in electronics and am very demanding on lighting products, particularly color temperature and beam focus/spread

cheers, Mike
There is not mountable housing, just basic mounting brackets.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #16

If anyone is interested, please PM me.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:27 PM   #17
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=automatcentral;112184]
Quote:
I don't know how much good this would do you, as I am an internet nobody, but that's a different issue.

The purpose of the review is just to vet the viability of the kit with your vehicle, similar vehicles, and to compile a step by step installation guide. A 3.5" round fog lamp LED set should fit well within your fog lamp openings.
I'm sending you a PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #18

I have a Promaster 1500 2017 Class B Axion Hymer Carado. I would love to try it but I am a newbie. I had someone connect 2 battle born lithium batteries to cut cost rather than going to a dealer. If it is easy to connect I would give it a try. I do want the LED. Thanks
gracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracey View Post
I have a Promaster 1500 2017 Class B Axion Hymer Carado. I would love to try it but I am a newbie. I had someone connect 2 battle born lithium batteries to cut cost rather than going to a dealer. If it is easy to connect I would give it a try. I do want the LED. Thanks
Thank you for your interest. Please PM me a picture of your vehicle and I would be happy to consider it.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you for your interest. Please PM me a picture of your vehicle and I would be happy to consider it.
Google is your friend - https://www.google.com/search?q=2017...iw=888&bih=407
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote