Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2007, 03:04 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Washing Dishes

These are photos taken inside my Roadtrek:

but we almost aways wash the dishes outside on the picnic table with a table cloth on it.

It's all pretty easy to store.

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:05 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Washing dishes in the van works best with two people - one washing & one drying
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:04 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
For sure!

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Santa Cruz Ca KOA

Stayed there this last summer - they've a dedicated "dish washing" sink (area) - has all the hot water you can use and trash cans for any leftover food stuffs. Very nice.
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Re: Washing Dishes

You can eliminate the dishpan( and where do you rinse?) by simply putting about 3/4 cup hot water with a squirt detergent in it in a small bowl or large cup. Dip your scrubber/sponge/dishcloth/tool of choice into this and wash dishes, stacking them in the sink ,nested inside each other. Once they are all washed, start rinsing the stack, largest one first- it fills with water, then you can rinse the smaller ones in that same water ( within reason) and stack them in your dish rack. OR, eliminate the rack, too and just stack them on a double layer of microfiber towels. Put the silverware in one of the cups or glasses. Let all air dry- it's more sanitary. This method uses the very least amount of water. I used it when living on a sailboat. It was the "one pint" method. When they are dry, wring out the microfiber, hang it and it'll dry quickly. Microfiber towels are now available about 10 for $7. ..... they are infinitely useful.
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #6

Default Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
One thing I learned in nursing school and as a certified food handler, is that drying dishes with a cloth is a bad thing. It leads to contamination. Better to have a dab of 'disinfecting' bleach (they don't all say that on the jug) in the rinse water and let them air dry. If you are fortunate enough to rinse them in hot water, they will dry quickly.
Happy Trails, Penny, TX
Happy Trails. Penny
lakeconroepenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #7

[quote="Vicbowling"]I'm not sure if drying with bleach is really a good idea...?~ It doesn't really sound all that safe. I mean, wouldn't that be the equivalent of washing your dishes with Fantastic spray or Windex. I think I'll take my chances with a towel. >>>

If the dishwasher breaks down in a restaurant, that is the way the health dept. says to do it.
Like I said, rinsing them again with hot water makes them dry quicker. It doesn't have to be a bowlful, just a squirt bottle will do.

Swimming pools and lots of drinking water contain bleach to kill the germs, and you aren't going to be drinking your rinse water. http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/bleach.asp We are only talking about a tablespoon or so for rinsing dishes. Once bleach has been used, it turns into salt anyway, that is why it won't hurt your plants or the toilet gaskets if you want to re-use the water for flushing.
Most Fantastic/Windex products are made with ammonia, not bleach.

Dish towels are not allowed in fast food, hosptitals, dental clinics, restaurants etc., and the tables have to be wiped down with bleach water, so you aren't going to be able to avoid it.
Happy Trails. Penny
lakeconroepenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #8

I've used bleach doing type of dish washing a 1/4 cap full in the rinsing water. Plus it was use in the army, plus we used a very small in drinking water. There is a lot of uses for bleach.
armyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
Bronze Member

When off the grid, I put a stopper in the sink. I wash the least dirty things with running water first. Once the sink has a good amount of water in it, I use it to wash the dirtier stuff. Sometimes I even leave the water, if it's not TOO dirty, for more dish washing later. I use a dish pan to set the clean dishes into so i can move it around due to very limited space.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I guess I'm reviving this topic. We always wipe out/off our pans n plates with our napkins (paper towels) and put in trash bag. I use a wipe from TubOtowels to get stubborn stuff then wash n rinse. We have always done this even in the big Bounder because we never use hookup campgrounds so translating to the B is second nature. Air dry.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #11

I normally wash it inside the RV.
willin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We wash inside similar to what we did on our boat. Wash dirtiest first and trap the water. If not too dirty use that to clean the rest. Then rinse all and hand dry. Its only two of us so we don't have a lot of dishes and it really doesn't use a lot of water. Key is to not let the faucet run...
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #13
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
We wash inside similar to what we did on our boat. Wash dirtiest first and trap the water. If not too dirty use that to clean the rest. Then rinse all and hand dry. Its only two of us so we don't have a lot of dishes and it really doesn't use a lot of water. Key is to not let the faucet run...

I thought you should wash the cleanest first
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #14
Platinum Member

We always use paper plates and plastic silverware, so washing dishes is cut to a minimum except a few containers used for cooking. Wife & I have a deal, she cooks and I wash.

2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #15
Platinum Member

My husband insisted on sizing our in-progress lithium battery system so that it will run our microwave as well as my computer (I'm self-employed and often take work on the road). We typically use disposable dishes and utensils, but that still leaves the pot and pan that we use to warm up meals on the road. The ability to use the microwave while boondocking does away with pot-dirtying, thus, no dishes at all for many meals.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeconroepenny View Post
One thing I learned in nursing school and as a certified food handler, is that drying dishes with a cloth is a bad thing. It leads to contamination. Better to have a dab of 'disinfecting' bleach (they don't all say that on the jug) in the rinse water and let them air dry. If you are fortunate enough to rinse them in hot water, they will dry quickly.
Happy Trails, Penny, TX
I don't think it it is good to do.
JenniferBarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:54 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Nothing wrong with some bleach in your water. In fact (unscented) bleach is a time tested method of killing bacteria in drinking water.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
When off the grid, I put a stopper in the sink. I wash the least dirty things with running water first. Once the sink has a good amount of water in it, I use it to wash the dirtier stuff. Sometimes I even leave the water, if it's not TOO dirty, for more dish washing later. I use a dish pan to set the clean dishes into so i can move it around due to very limited space.
That's one practical way of utilizing water, you'd never have to waste much of your supply for a few dishes. For those greasy plates though, I find that warm water does the trick.
VinMarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Bleach (sodium hypochlorate solution) is the recommended go to for disinfecting your fresh water tanks and for use in the tank when taking on any water from a questionable source. It is essentially the same chemical used in municipal water supplies for insuring the safety of the water supply. I use a 50 CC syringe to measure bleach into the end of the hose feeding the tank. This sanitizises he hose as well as all water entering the tank. I use 50 CC for filling my tank. It does result in a mild chlorine taste in the water but no more than my home water in Washington, DC..
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:59 AM   #20
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
That's the best thing that will works.
Robert Busch is offline   Reply With Quote