Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Worth getting a Dometic chest fridge?

Since I am often going to be going places solo, I'm thinking of getting a chest refrigerator that can fit either in the passenger seat (like the Dometic CDF-11), or a bit bigger, assuming the vents are not blocked.

Anyone have experience with these? These Dometic portable "ice chest" models are not "thermo-electric coolers" that use a Peltier chip (Koolatrons), but an actual Danfoss compressor is used, that can get the temperature inside to 0 degrees (-18 Celsius), as well as be set to higher temperatures for use as a refrigerator. These would come in handy for drinks and ice cube storage.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Worth getting a Dometic chest fridge?

Stan might have had one.

It depends what you need it for IMO - if you'll use the portability. If it just going to stay in the van then I'd opt for a bigger fridge or 2 fridges à la Safari Condo.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The marine folks like Isotherm and others make a lot versions of them, including ones with cold plate systems that "charge" up with cold when on charge voltages like driving. Chests, from all I have read, will use considerably less power due to the cover on top design.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have the dometic brand 33 quart model in my teardrop. Love the thing. It doesn't run all the time, so the draw is very low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:44 AM   #5

Just got my little Dometic CF-18, wee chest fridge. No freezer section. It will do me for what I need. And it'll be nice to cut the leash from getting bagged ice for a cooler.
The manual for my wee Dometic indicates it is actually a Waeco, rebadged by Dometic.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:31 AM   #6
Platinum Member

This is good to know. This definitely is a multiple use item. For longer trips I can set it to function as a freezer, fill it full of hard freezer packs and use it to keep the contents of the fridge and freezer cold, if the fridge is on 12 volt power. Of course, its main purpose is to get drinks down to a usable temperature, especially in the Texas heat, since a compressor fridge is a lot better at cooling down contents than an absorption fridge.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote