Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2024, 07:48 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default 1999 Roadtrek Popular GFI question

Does the one GFI switch near the microwave control EVERYTHING electrical inside the RT?

It won't reset, it's as old as the RT so obviously needs replacement.

But it's kinda odd this controls everything inside it for 110
JeffGalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 03:50 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Look at the power panel. How many 110 volt breakers does it have? My guess is it has a main, a converter, an A/C, a microwave, and outlets. The GFI only controls the outlets so no, it does not control everything.

Not everything is GFI protected.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 03:57 AM   #3
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Look at the power panel. How many 110 volt breakers does it have? My guess is it has a main, a converter, an A/C, a microwave, and outlets. The GFI only controls the outlets so no, it does not control everything.
6 breakers. But I can't use any 110 at all so in that respect it controls everything 110.

But of course the 12 volt items work but there's absolutely no 110 power available so it's kinda useless to use the RV right now till it's repaired.

Can't use ac, heaters, charge up my phones from outlets.
Old 01-10-2024, 04:42 AM   #4
Platinum Member

You may have more than one problem. Start with the main circuit breaker, turn all the others off. Is there 110 on the input? Turn it on, is there 110 on the output?

Go from there, circuit by circuit.

Remove the circuit breakers, to check them, if you have to.

Gotta be an easy problem to solve. Where are you in Arizona? Bring it to Tempe and we will give it a try.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:02 AM   #5
Silver Member

Quote:
You may have more than one problem. Start with the main circuit breaker, turn all the others off. Is there 110 on the input? Turn it on, is there 110 on the output?

Go from there, circuit by circuit.

Remove the circuit breakers, to check them, if you have to.

Gotta be an easy problem to solve. Where are you in Arizona? Bring it to Tempe and we will give it a try.
Thank you. In Yuma area but traveled to Palm Desert now for a month or so.

I think I might have found that it's this GFI It's stuck in the pushed in buttons mode so can't reset it. Can maybe just replace it but I opened it up and there's more wires than the regular outlets.

I saw two white two black and one copper thin wire maybe a ground.

Thx for your input. Appreciate it much.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:22 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Sounds like you have a automatic transfer switch problem.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:31 AM   #7
Silver Member

Quote:
Sounds like you have a automatic transfer switch problem.
Had to call RV tech cause I didn't want to deal with that GFI.

Anyways we ripped up the back area to get to the converter etc. And he goes.... You got serious electrical issues here.... Like what I say.

No power coming in. So I said how about we test the campground power. It was off and on. But there was still no power into the RT when it was on. Got to the wires coming into the converter and he says someone rearranged things and wires are just sitting there, loose so maybe it was grounding out. I'm like well I had it 4 months and no issues.

Anyways he put in a new GFI which wasn't the issue really but it was the original.

The best part was he said, I'll have to take out that microwave and that was on my to do list this week as it's the original Panasonic one. So it's gone and new one coming tomorrow.

I saw the wires just hanging there. I dunno who did that I'm the third owner.

For a while I was like well no power. Great. I'm like just keep working (120 hour) till we get to the bottom of this. I kept thinking I'll have to run a cord in thru the window for power.

Hopefully no more issues. Never ever had 120 v issues with any of my past three RVs till this one.

Thx for the input.

Edit:

I thought from this forum that that battery on off switch on the monitor controls the 120v too. One time I had no shore power when the switch was off.

He said that's impossible, it's all 12v connected to that relay switch.

Hmmm

I thought I read that must be on for shore power. Guess I'm wrong
Old 01-11-2024, 02:41 PM   #8
Gold Member

So Jeff, did I miss something? Did you get the problem resolved?
Old 01-11-2024, 03:26 PM   #9
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
So Jeff, did I miss something? Did you get the problem resolved?
Yes. Power is working but not sure of the source of the issues.

The tech really didn't have a definite answer as to why. He kept saying it could have been this, it could have been that etc.

But all good now (so far).

Thank you for asking.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:40 PM   #10
Gold Member

Glad all is working for you. Now I have to tackle a red light that is on my gfci when I first plug in.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:50 PM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
Glad all is working for you. Now I have to tackle a red light that is on my gfci when I first plug in.
Thank you.

Oh really. Sorry to hear.

I see a small green light on my new one, I guess that's the one that turned red on yours? It's very bright at night, kinda my new nightlight now lol.

I didn't know it could do that but it makes perfect sense. (Turn red from green to show an issue)

My gut is mine was popping out from the original Panasonic 25 yo microwave.

I dunno. Tech don't know. I really hate all kinds of electrical issues.

Hope yours resolves.

Keep us posted. I'm curious to see. Thx.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:07 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Not sure if it applies but with my home GFI outlets I've found that they eventually go bad and need replacing. In my RV the GFIs haven't given me any problem but they are generic; exactly like the ones in my house. If I was to replace one, I'd just wire up the new one like the old. You've probably done all that, though.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 05:34 PM   #13
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Not sure if it applies but with my home GFI outlets I've found that they eventually go bad and need replacing. In my RV the GFIs haven't given me any problem but they are generic; exactly like the ones in my house. If I was to replace one, I'd just wire up the new one like the old. You've probably done all that, though.
Yes you are right. Look identical.

I took it apart and saw too many wires to replace for me to do but if I had more confidence and just do these things I'd probably avoided the tech call.

Glad your rv ones didn't give issues. I think I wrote on one of the messages that in all the RVs I've had I've never ever had an issue with GFI till this RT. But not saying it's RT fault of course. Some former owner screwed with the converter it seems but the tech still didn't know why I didn't have power at all at one point.

Was either the CG pedastal, the GFI, the converter or a combo.

He also advised me to get a good surge protector which I didn't have but I ordered one on Amazon.