Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2020, 10:14 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
It sounds like the OP is properly evaluating his/her needs within a specific usage context, that being Colorado / colder weather.

I almost yanked our generator and these days I thank the powers-that-be that I did not, because the pandemic changed everything. Now all of a sudden I'm using a generator I spent the previous 4 years hauling around as dead weight, questioning my own sanity in the process. It's hot in Texas and it's just easier on my entire system if I run my a/c off the generator instead of the lithium battery.

With the pandemic's realignment of social concerns, far fewer people are annoyed by a generator in proximity. They are far more annoyed by ME in proximity. They'd much rather I stay in the van and make noise.

Colorado vs. Texas Gulf Coast. Two completely unrelated settings. That's why I always encourage people to do an actual needs analysis.
Well stated!

When i had been off the forums for a while & $1100 later I kicking myself for 16 seconds when I discovered that some of the Giants here had switched over to the Nation's Dual Alternator set up.

It seemed like a no brainer.

The weight of the generator.

The noise.

The open ended repair cost if not well maintained.

But then 17 seconds later, I remember the annual flood issue that one of my client's & friend has each year, namely Elke Sommer the German Actress who was a big hit over here.

Every year (embroiled in a nasty neighbour dispute), the estate Elke has in LA is flooded every year because of the estate behind it, namely the Consulate Home of a Middle Eastern Nation.

It is incredible, because of changes to the neighboring property, every year for 5 years Elke's Garage.has up to 3 feet of standing waters, the Swimming Pool is flooded with mud slides & the grounds in part, equally so.

They are in the 70's & 80's & are good friends so I always put my hand up to help them abate the floods - we have 4 sump pumps in all the drains that fail because of construction debris, etc all running off the power but last year, all the power went off after several failures in Beverly Hills/Holmby Hills BUT WE HAD MY GENERATOR & IT SAVED THE DAY.

And then there have been many other situations where the Generator was the perfect tool albeit noisy & unsavory in build up areas including being parked abehind a corner of a very large Pool Cottage while a more well known Actor & Actress were renewing their vows with a small group of guests & the electrical system kept blowing.

So I am stuck with the necessary Utility of mine until I buy a brand new or late model rig.

This is a photo of Elke & Smiley on my Motorcycle & Elke & one of my very best friends, Kenny Medlock* on location at Marineland in San Diego (?) where they were shooting a one off episode of The Six Million Dollar Man.

*not her husband
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2825.jpg (220.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1482.jpg (244.1 KB, 16 views)
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote