Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default How hard is it to get from top of dashboard to interior of door in a Sprinter?

I'm looking at replacing my in-door speakers (Sprinter 3500). One replacement that interests me has small tweeters meant to be installed in line-of-sight to the listener. I'm thinking the top "corners" of the dashboard would be a good place.

The tweeter is wired to the speaker, which is then wired to the stereo.

I'm comfortable with the wiring, but I'm scared of the mechanical dissassembly of the dashboard. How hard is it to get from the top of the dash, through the dash, into the door?
-Winnie ERA 170M ("906" 3500 Sprinter, 6cyl Diesel)
BigFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
I'm looking at replacing my in-door speakers (Sprinter 3500). One replacement that interests me has small tweeters meant to be installed in line-of-sight to the listener. I'm thinking the top "corners" of the dashboard would be a good place.

The tweeter is wired to the speaker, which is then wired to the stereo.

I'm comfortable with the wiring, but I'm scared of the mechanical dissassembly of the dashboard. How hard is it to get from the top of the dash, through the dash, into the door?
Easy. You don't need to disassemble much. Pull the trim from the A-pillar (just fir tree clips). You will expose a wiring harness that follows the path you need. Plenty of room to fish a speaker wire.

Inside the door, I can't say.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Getting Into The Door Is Pretty Easy, Too

Look for videos describing how to fix a broken window regulator and you'll see getting into the doors is pretty easy.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Yeah, the door, itself, I'm pretty comfortable with... It's the dashboard that's a mysterious, dark hole.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
Platinum Member

No mystery with the dash. As stated before, the "A" post inside cover can be pulled straight away. Wires can be easily fished through at the bottom. Be careful when reinstalling that you have all wires in place and the clips are lined up before you smack it. On the door jambs, the rubber wiring boot connecting the door to the jamb can be pulled loose at both ends making it easy to pass wires through. Patience and a set of plastic trim removal tools are a big help (~$5 at harbor freight). Very helpful for all console and radio removal applications.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:46 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Consider speakers either side of the lower cup holder. May be easier than the doors. I cross wired them also, so the dash speakers remained left and right, while the lower speakers are right and left, giving each front seat their own channel pair.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:41 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
Consider speakers either side of the lower cup holder. May be easier than the doors. I cross wired them also, so the dash speakers remained left and right, while the lower speakers are right and left, giving each front seat their own channel pair.
There's already speakers in the doors. I'd just be replacing, and making use of the existing wires....