Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2023, 06:45 PM   #1

Default inverter and under hood generator charging

I have a 3000 watt inverter and the 280 amp alternator under hood generator in my 2018 Roadtrek Simplicity. While I am boondocking is it safe to run the van's engine while using the inverter. I am wondering if the inverter will damage the alternator's regulator. The original 2000 watt inverter was replaced with a 3000 watt unit. There is only one AGM battery and it has held up surprisingly well. Also will it damage anything while plugged into shore power while using the inverter and the van engine running? Thanks much.
nomad1955@centurylink.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 09:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad1955@centurylink.net View Post
I have a 3000 watt inverter and the 280 amp alternator under hood generator in my 2018 Roadtrek Simplicity. While I am boondocking is it safe to run the van's engine while using the inverter. I am wondering if the inverter will damage the alternator's regulator. The original 2000 watt inverter was replaced with a 3000 watt unit. There is only one AGM battery and it has held up surprisingly well. Also will it damage anything while plugged into shore power while using the inverter and the van engine running? Thanks much.

Normally, it is not a problem to run the engine to power the inverter load, many people do that.

The big question I have is how big it the wiring to the inverter and battery from the engine generator and how many amp hours is the AGM battery. That alternator is very large compared to battery most likely so have to be careful there. An AGM usually will start to get too hot at about .4 times the AH in amps the batteries. Perhaps the regulator is turning down the output based on battery temp?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 03:21 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad1955@centurylink.net View Post
If you can tolerate Facebook, this sounds like a perfect question for the Roadtrek Zion and Simplicity Owners group. There are owners who have made all kinds of adjustments to the unusual Roadtrek system. Many owners replace their 2000w inverter with a 3000w when the first one dies. I assume by "the 280a alternator" - you are referring to the 2nd alternator that Roadtrek call "underhood generator." One of the members is the long time employee and now manager of the Service/Warranty department who comes on to answer questions like this if current owners are not sure.

I had the 2000w inverter in my Simplicity, but also had a second AGM, UHG, and solar. Since I would only turn the inverter on to run the AC or the microwave, turning on the inverter and starting the engine to use the UHG was a must. Even more of a "must" since you only have one battery. I wouldn't claim to understand how this all works, but since your UHG has the built in controller... I am under the impression that the power goes from the UHG to the battery...while the inverter takes power from the battery and sends it to your 110 appliance. Thus I see no connection between the UHG and the inverter.

But... I could be wrong.

Another source for a more definitive answer would be to call the maker of the alternator... Nations Starter in Missouri. They are very friendly, helpful people and will usually take a few minutes to answer owner questions.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:29 PM   #4

Mumkin: I finally found your reply to my post about the UHG. I had in the past times using the inverter and the van’s engine running at the same time. I had thought that using both and the shore power would damage something as the UHG internal regulator failed while on a road trip. Your reply helped me consider that all is well using all power sources together is ‘OK’. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:39 PM   #5

booster: I can now reply to your reply to my original post about my UHG. I had in the past times used the inverter and the van’s engine running at the same time. I had also thought that using both and the shore power would damage something as the UHG internal regulator failed while on a road trip. Your reply helped me consider that all is well using all power sources together is ‘OK’. Also I believe the power cable wire is 4/0. Thank you for your input.