Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2020, 07:16 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Excellent questions!
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:01 PM   #22
Lou
Platinum Member

For what it is worth, we have a 2008 Pleasure-Way Excel . When we consulted Pleasure-Way about Lithium batteries they said it couldn't be done without rewiring the entire van and it wouldn't be worth it.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:11 PM   #23
Platinum Member

You really need the other lithium compatible goodies to fully utilize and protect your lithium battery investment and protect your engine alternator. That includes inverter/charger, DC to DC charger, State of Charge monitor and Solar Controller if you have solar. Will drop-in batteries only work? Obviously, based on your experience so far. But are you getting the most power and life from your system? Only time will tell.

A DIY conversion to 2x100Ah Lithiums, 3000W Inverter/Charger, 40A DC to DC charger, State of Charge Monitor (w-shunt), and assorted cables will run approx. $3000 with Renogy products. Add about another $1k, or $4000 total, for top of the line Battleborn & Victron products.

I price compared both before my conversion last Fall. Ultimately went with Renogy due to the fact their products (at least at the time) just fit the space I had available in my "b". It's worked well for the past year now.

But if space was available for the Battleborn/Victron products, I would have sprung for the extra grand.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:53 PM   #24
Bronze Member

I just want to thank all of you for your time, your efforts and invaluable information. I'm delighted to be a member of this forum and hope to reciprocate by helping others in the future.
-David
david@davidfischer.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:17 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david@davidfischer.com View Post
I just want to thank all of you for your time, your efforts and invaluable information. I'm delighted to be a member of this forum and hope to reciprocate by helping others in the future.
-David
The Power of a vested community.

I owe many of the successful work arounds my Rig has by standing as they say on the Shoulders of the Giants here on these forums.

ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO ELECTRICITY/THAT STUFF YOU CANNOT SEE THAT CAN SET FIRE TO YOUR CREATION.

ENJOY!
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:38 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfaris View Post
I do have some concerns regarding the system after reading the comments here so would appreciate any additional suggestions.
1. I have 300 watts of RT installed solar which use a Tracer 3215RN controller. Although BB said it was acceptable, I have noticed that even on sunny days, the highest evening voltage I observe is about 13.3 volts (even with the battery switch off all day). I am wondering if there are newer charge controllers that could improve the solar benefits with the BB batteries.
2. I have noticed some overnight drawdown but am not sure it is excessive. It is typically on the order of 1.2 amps. Is this something that could be improved with a DC-DC charger in lieu of the RT SurePower separator? If so, any suggestions for appropriate models and replacement guidance would be appreciated............................
300W solar, so 100Ah+/- on good days.

Replace the Surepower with a bi-stable relay (or turn off the Surepower when not needed) and gain 24Ah daily or maybe more. Seems as though you should be doing OK even if you have a compressor fridge. If you have an absorption fridge then I'd expect a surplus daily solar harvest if you have modest energy requirements.

The 3215RN doesn't look to have custom profile programmability but it appears that you'd only be able to add Boost (absorption) time (2hrs on the 3215RN) if you had a controller that was programmable to make a significant change.

Forcing the lithiums down to 13.2V would trigger a return to boost mode but that's not easy to do and pointless actually with lithiums.......... It would be easy with PbA batteries. I wonder if triggering a disconnect between the panels and the controller would force a return to boost mode...?

I guess the short answer is: yes, some gains could be possible with a newer controller.

With lithiums, an extra digit of voltage resolution can tell you a lot. 13.3V is like 70% SOC or more & 13.39 probably 100% SOC. Check it with an accurate meter with an extra digit or two voltage resolution. Maybe the solar part of things is OK.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #27

Thanks to all for your comments. I will try to clarify a couple points.
First, things have changed since I researched and settled on the Battle Born replacement batteries, both wrt related components on the BB web site and discussions within the class-B community. As I understood it then, the built in BMS of the BB batteries would provide protection by limiting various charging parameters so that drop-in replacement was possible. I remember saying at the time (much the same as rowiebowie) that it will take several (hopefully many) years to know for sure. So, after reading through your responses to the OP, I wondered what type of improvements could be achieved by upgrading specific components. My Thornwave does have 3 decimal accuracy but no logger, so my data doesn't always catch key events. I will try to do a better job of recording data so that I can provide better performance information. Hopefully I can get some more specific feedback from the community.