Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #41
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlebj View Post
So we purchased a used 2016 Ascent TS (with Li batteries) this year also and I just winterized it. The manual on page 30 under winterizing states:

" Fully charge your auxiliary coach battery and turn off and remove the red disconnect. The red disconnect is located in the passenger rear storage compartment in the small door above the battery access door."

And on page 33:

"(2) The disconnect in the driver ottoman door is a total battery disconnect used especially for service and winter storage. This battery disconnect will not allow the auxiliary batteries to be charge from the solar panels, converter or the vehicle alternator."

Am I missing something? The 2016 Ascent TS clearly has the switch the OP is referring to (at least mine does) - again, unless I'm missing something...

Atle
Thanks Atle. You are not the one missing something, it is I (or rather my Ascent) that is missing something - it was built without the disconnect key. I have spoken with Michael at PW, who stated that if I don’t see it, it was built without one. Oh, and btw, PW is not responsible for installing one.
__________________

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:32 PM   #42
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 17
Default

Hi Avanti. So, would I go with the “12v Bi-stable with knob”? There are multiple choices. Not sure what the differences are.
__________________

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #43
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 17
Default

Atle, would you be able to take a photo of your red disconnect key so that I may compare it to my panel below the driver side ottoman?
Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #44
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Oregon, Washington, Arizona and California
Posts: 244
Default

A manual disconnect can be useful, but with lithium batteries you need an automatic disconnect that operates on battery temperature.

I use a Victron BMV712 battery monitor for battery voltage and temperature, and use its programmable relay to shut down solid state relays on my solar inputs and the 120VAC charger. It also has a Bluetooth interface to shutdown the Victron Smart solar controllers, but I trust the hardwired SSRs more than the Bluetooth.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #45
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
Hi Avanti. So, would I go with the “12v Bi-stable with knob”? There are multiple choices. Not sure what the differences are.
You want the one I linked to at amazon. Blue sea ML-RBS. PART NUMBER 7700.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #46
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: WA
Posts: 10
Default Battery Disconnect

I have a 2017 PW Plateau XLMB and my coach has a red battery on/off rocker switch on the main panel by the door. Also, my winterizing instructions simply say to turn the battery power off at that switch. When doing so, all of the 12 V systems shut down. I also have a red key charge line disconnect behind the power sofa which the instructions also say to turn off when winterizing. This keeps the batteries from being charged via the electrical cord, solar panels or engine alternator.
JoePacificNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #47
Platinum Member
 
NFRicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas and Maine
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
All my Class B RV's had battery disconnect switches. I would be surprised if Pleasure-way didn't provide one especially on lithium batteries since they have made a big deal more so than almost any company in providing a prominent one. This is the one on my 2005 Pleasure-way Sprinter Class B. It was hard to but it was behind a fancy cabinet door on the side of the built-in ottoman.

Mine is well hidden on back side of bed passenger side, visible when back doors are open, on passenger side...yes, I’d be surprised if no disconnect, but mine is older...
__________________
RS
2004 Pleasure Way “Completely Redone” -
All University of Texas Decor!! “Hook ‘EM” ~0~
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #48
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlebj View Post
So we purchased a used 2016 Ascent TS (with Li batteries) this year also and I just winterized it. The manual on page 30 under winterizing states:

" Fully charge your auxiliary coach battery and turn off and remove the red disconnect. The red disconnect is located in the passenger rear storage compartment in the small door above the battery access door."

And on page 33:

"(2) The disconnect in the driver ottoman door is a total battery disconnect used especially for service and winter storage. This battery disconnect will not allow the auxiliary batteries to be charge from the solar panels, converter or the vehicle alternator."

Am I missing something? The 2016 Ascent TS clearly has the switch the OP is referring to (at least mine does) - again, unless I'm missing something...

Atle
I showed a photo in post #12 of a P-W battery disconnect switch but never got an acknowledgment from the OP if he had one. Seems as of 2016 it was a P-W consistency.
__________________
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 custom Sprinter
2015 Advanced RV Extended body Sprinter
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #49
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
You want the one I linked to at amazon. Blue sea ML-RBS. PART NUMBER 7700.
Hi Avanti. Sorry, life events have distracted me from pursuing my lithium ion battery issue. But I am going to try to devote more time to figuring this out. I need to disconnect the CHARGE line to the lithium batteries, to prevent charging during periods when the battery temp is below freezing. All of the on line videos I have seen have disconnects between the house batteries and the electrical items the batteries supply, to prevent phantom drainage of the batteries. This is not my goal, however. Rather than using the Bluesea device you suggested, I just want to install the standard red knobbed disconnect key. Since you seem to know a lot about this, do you think 1) the red knobbed disconnect key is suitable for the task at hand and 2) do I just need to identify the cable coming from the alternator (the charge line) and install the disconnect key along the charge line in order to interrupt the charging?
Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:57 PM   #50
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
Hi Avanti. Sorry, life events have distracted me from pursuing my lithium ion battery issue. But I am going to try to devote more time to figuring this out. I need to disconnect the CHARGE line to the lithium batteries, to prevent charging during periods when the battery temp is below freezing. All of the on line videos I have seen have disconnects between the house batteries and the electrical items the batteries supply, to prevent phantom drainage of the batteries. This is not my goal, however. Rather than using the Bluesea device you suggested, I just want to install the standard red knobbed disconnect key. Since you seem to know a lot about this, do you think 1) the red knobbed disconnect key is suitable for the task at hand and 2) do I just need to identify the cable coming from the alternator (the charge line) and install the disconnect key along the charge line in order to interrupt the charging?
The "red knobbed disconnect" and the BlueSea item I referenced are both just high-current switches. They are functionally interchangeable--it is just a matter of convenience. Either will do what you want.

I hesitate to comment on your lithium system, since I don't have one and don't two the details of yours. However, generally speaking, if you disconnect the battery negative connection to the chassis ground (and any other ground wires), that should make your battery essentially inert--it will neither charge nor provide current to any other system. I don't know if there is some downside to doing this with your lithium system, unless you wish to continue to use your batteries and simply prevent charging.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:13 AM   #51
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 18
Default

Hello Ron, sorry - the original request got lost in my inbox. Here is a picture of the disconnect under the driver side ottoman.
https://www.icloud.com/photos/#07V6d...btxC0wSQ11z37Q
Atle
atlebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #52
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 17
Default

Thank you for the photo. I certainly do not have a disconnect key.
__________________

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disconnect, diy, lithium battery, winterize

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×