Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2021, 11:40 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek Zion SRT UHG Overcharging

Greetings,
Our UHG overcharges the batteries (Ecotrek 400) while driving. As a result system shuts down the batteries. Any advice? This is something new and it didn’t do it before.
HarveyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:06 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyRV View Post
Greetings,
Our UHG overcharges the batteries (Ecotrek 400) while driving. As a result system shuts down the batteries. Any advice? This is something new and it didn’t do it before.
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your Ecotrek problem, but just know you aren't alone. Although I don't recal seeing your precise problem, I suggest you look at some of these previous threads. Even if you don't see something directly related to your problem, you may find a reference to a helpful source.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Greetings,
Sounds like malfunctioning voltage regulator?
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your Ecotrek problem, but just know you aren't alone. Although I don't recal seeing your precise problem, I suggest you look at some of these previous threads. Even if you don't see something directly related to your problem, you may find a reference to a helpful source.

Good luck.
Thank you!!
Old 02-07-2021, 12:49 PM   #5

Thank you! I will get that checked! Very new to this RV life and don't know too much about anything
Old 02-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #6
Platinum Member

You didn't mention the year... if it is new, and still under the 2 year warranty, check in with your dealer. If not, there is a group on Facebook just for the Ecotrek systems and they have people who know and understand these systems.

It is likely your balmar controller that has gone bad. If it is still located inside the front fender (moving it is rather crucial), it has likely been damaged. But the FB group can give you troubleshooting help to perhaps fix wiring or fuse. I've stuck to an AGM system, so I've never dealt with it.

It says that you are in Florida. I can recommend Sunshine State RV in Gainesville as a dealer who knows the systems and how to fix them and can get the right parts... and they are good people to deal with.

You can also try calling Nation's Starter in Missouri who is the supplier for the parts for these systems.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
You didn't mention the year... if it is new, and still under the 2 year warranty, check in with your dealer. If not, there is a group on Facebook just for the Ecotrek systems and they have people who know and understand these systems.

It is likely your balmar controller that has gone bad. If it is still located inside the front fender (moving it is rather crucial), it has likely been damaged. But the FB group can give you troubleshooting help to perhaps fix wiring or fuse. I've stuck to an AGM system, so I've never dealt with it.

It says that you are in Florida. I can recommend Sunshine State RV in Gainesville as a dealer who knows the systems of and how to fix them and can get the right parts... and they are good people to deal with.

You can also try calling Nation's Starter in Missouri who is the supplier for the parts for these systems.
Thx. It’s 2018. Out of factory warranty but got extended warranty. FB group is great but didn’t have luck with this subject. Sunshine RV is pretty far from where I live, Miami. Thanks anyway!!
Old 02-07-2021, 06:10 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Thx. It’s 2018. Out of factory warranty but got extended warranty. FB group is great but didn’t have luck with this subject. Sunshine RV is pretty far from where I live, Miami. Thanks anyway!!
La Mesa RV is also quite knowledgeable about RT's balmer and Ecotrek batteries set up. They are in Ft Myers and Port St Lucie, a little closer than Gainesville. The balmer needs to be reprogramed to lower the UHG and solar maximums. You will need to correct the overcharging sooner than later because over charged lithiums can result in cell swelling and cracking of the batteries. Google it, it is crazy!
Old 02-07-2021, 07:11 PM   #9

Thank you!
Old 02-07-2021, 08:17 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:

Were you on the specific Facebook Ecotrek group or one of the Roadtrek or model groups. I can't imagine this not being mentioned by someone else.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:19 PM   #11

Yes. Roadtrek Zion group. I even looked through the docs posted on FB. ��. No luck
Old 02-07-2021, 09:35 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes. Roadtrek Zion group. I even looked through the docs posted on FB. ��. No luck

I think this is the group that Mumkin was referring to:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/245511276385412/
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:19 PM   #13

Thanks! Just applied to join the group. Fingers crossed
Old 02-08-2021, 12:44 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think this is the group that Mumkin was referring to:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/245511276385412/
Thanks booster. I've never joined that group since I have avoided the Ecotrek like the plague. lol

And HarveyRV... I would make the drive to Gainesville before I'd go to La Mesa. The ones out here in CA and AZ have horrible reputations with their service work. If you didn't buy from them, it will take months before they bother to fit you in.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Greetings,
I have a 2017 Roadtrek (Waldo) with Ecotrek 400 and recently updated to L3 batteries to fix version L1 failures.

Most likely your Balmer regulator settings are too high. You should contact KS2, the battery manufacturer, to get the latest recommendations. Try them at service@ks2corp.com
Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote