Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2023, 10:24 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default running House AC while driving

On a recent very warm trip I thought it would be a good idea if I ran my House AC while driving, but it turned out not to be such a good idea. I blew the fuse for the relay.
The inverter I have is 3000w and have used it to run the AC while parked from my 200 amp hours of liFePo so I know that wasn't the issue. the fuse I would assume was original in 1997 was it just old? The AC is an LG dual inverter so doesn't draw much power.
Old 10-07-2023, 11:45 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRV View Post
On a recent very warm trip I thought it would be a good idea if I ran my House AC while driving, but it turned out not to be such a good idea. I blew the fuse for the relay.
The inverter I have is 3000w and have used it to run the AC while parked from my 200 amp hours of liFePo so I know that wasn't the issue. the fuse I would assume was original in 1997 was it just old? The AC is an LG dual inverter so doesn't draw much power.
A 200 amp hour lithium may have run down in wattage causing the recycling of the AC compressor to struggle to start up again. The breaker popped. All AC pull a lot of start up wattage. If you have a gas genny on board, can you run it while driving to run your AC?
Old 10-07-2023, 01:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRV View Post

What relay are you talking about? A 3000w inverter and 200ah of lithium into a 97 probably would need quite a bit of increasing wire sizes, adding fusing, etc to be safe and reliable. A 3000w inverter will draw nearly 300 amps at full output and that takes a 4/0 cable to provide it, as example.

I think a thorough review of your entire system would probably be in order for anyone to be able to responsibly answer you question.

The "norm" for people that run the house AC while driving would be to run the onboard generator if you have one or secondarily to use the inverter to run it from the alternator in the van, if it and the wiring are up to providing that much power which is questionable in a 97 unless it has been upgraded.

Running the AC off the batteries while driving makes little sense to me as you use up battery capacity when you normally would charging the batteries during drives. You would then need to recharge your batteries in some way. Are you counting on shore power at your destination?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote