Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default I may have found my first RV?

What am I missing? General comments?

2008 Pleasure Way Excel TS
40,000 miles on the F-350 V10 6.8L engine
Asking price $55,000.

From the pictures it appears to be in excellent condition. A long road trip next week for an inspection will confirm.

My insurance agent qouted $450 annually. That price is less then my truck!

Storage will be a concrete pad beside my house garage.

Primarily use will be three or four, 600 mile trips per year to see the grandkids. Use as a spare bedroom during the visits.

Secondary use will be for 2 or 3 local trips to town a month. I will be selling my truck. Perhaps a trip out west to visit family. Once a month a long weekend trip. Might get used more when the wife joins me in retirement.

With the current Stockmarket the $55,000 will not be a problem. The main problem is me wrapping my mind around spending that kind of money for a "toy".

I'm a technical orientated type and general handyman so I will take care of maintenance and repairs other then the chassis.

What am I missing?
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Perhaps a trip to Florida should be in the cards. Cheaper asking price and only 31k miles on it.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...-TS-5009850272

Happy hunting.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Take a look at brand new ProMaster based Class B's for a price comparison to a 12 year old RV.

Also, NADA gives some guidance on worth: https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2008/...3049675/Values
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Perhaps a trip to Florida should be in the cards. Cheaper asking price and only 31k miles on it.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...-TS-5009850272

Happy hunting.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #5
Lou
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want a B View Post

Asking price $55,000.

From the pictures it appears to be in excellent condition. A long road trip next week for an inspection will confirm.

Primarily use will be three or four, 600 mile trips per year to see the grandkids. Use as a spare bedroom during the visits.

Secondary use will be for 2 or 3 local trips to town a month. I will be selling my truck. Perhaps a trip out west to visit family. Once a month a long weekend trip. Might get used more when the wife joins me in retirement.

With the current Stockmarket the $55,000 will not be a problem. The main problem is me wrapping my mind around spending that kind of money for a "toy".

I'm a technical orientated type and general handyman so I will take care of maintenance and repairs other then the chassis.

What am I missing?
We bought our 2008 PW Excel in 2013. It had 100,000 km (rental) but it had had everything checked every two weeks. It was well maintained. It was $46,900 Canadian dollars plus $1700 for an awning. We looked at many with fewer kilometres but none available at the time were well maintained. We are still very happy with it.

It did not have a generator and a couple of years later we added one. That was a mistake, we almost never use it.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #6

Thumbs up Love our 2008 Excel TS

We paid slightly more for the same vehicle 2 years ago and have not regretted it at all. After considerable research, we decided that we wanted the features of a 2007 or newer PW and were not looking for a project or an older one that might need some updates or repairs. Certain other brands had features we considered deal-breakers, (like an aisle bath). We are pre-retirement and wanted to enjoy our purchase right away and frequently. We also observed that Pleasure Ways are built well enough to hold their value in the long run as the then going rate for 18-20-year-old PWs here on the west coast was about $30K. The one problem the pre-2010s have is a bit of a wander or sway issue which is caused by the extra weight of the electric sofa behind the rear wheel. There are some after-market solutions that may help. We added a RAS suspension and decided against a hitch rack because it exacerbated the problem. Look into the Facebook Groups to learn more about some of this. Also, check out the videos on the official PW website to see how well constructed they are. You won't regret purchasing a Pleasure-Way!
marshaburlingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:42 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Is that a Ford Triton motor famous for spitting out spark plugs at an enormous repair cost?
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peder_y2k View Post
Is that a Ford Triton motor famous for spitting out spark plugs at an enormous repair cost?
I cannot answer your question about the motor. It is built on an F350 Econoline base. My husband keeps it in good working condition and we have not had any spark plug problems.
marshaburlingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:46 PM   #9
Gold Member

Default My choice and opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I just bought a new class B and love it.:) There are great deals on RV trader and in Florida I found that in Sept the best deals can be made as people up to the next year models. I love the Wonder which is a Class b+ (industry BS) or a C. I have the Travato 59K and next year there are a bunch of new features, but more money. Look for comfort and ease of use. I like twin beds to get to the bath easier. I love the Truma Combi system. The pull down beds are two small. This beats pulling a trailer by a ton. LOL You have to think smaller but to us that is better these days especially cleaning. :trash: To me it is an expensive hobby car or truck. Like you said a new GMC truck cost about the same. Oh and my wife can drive and park this B so for what that is worth as you go around. I think the older gen is getting smart with B's instead of the A and C types. Good luck in the search and do your research. I saw that Dodge is moving out Mercedes based on cost. Oh make make lists and check out on line videos for reviews. The newer coaches have better electronics with apps.
Take care:dance:

Want a B;104983

Asking price $55,000.

What am I missing?
I just bought a new class B and love it. There are great deals on RV trader and in Florida I found that in Sept the best deals can be made as people up to the next year models. I love the Wonder which is a Class b+ (industry BS) or a C. I have the Travato 59K and next year there are a bunch of new features, but more money. Look for comfort and ease of use. I like twin beds to get to the bath easier. I love the Truma Combi system. The pull down beds are two small. This beats pulling a trailer by a ton. LOL You have to think smaller but to us that is better these days especially cleaning. To me it is an expensive hobby car or truck. Like you said a new GMC truck cost about the same. Oh and my wife can drive and park this B so for what that is worth as you go around. I think the older gen is getting smart with B's instead of the A and C types. Good luck in the search and do your research. I saw that Dodge is moving out Mercedes based on cost. Oh make make lists and check out on line videos for reviews. The newer coaches have better electronics with apps.
Take care
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:22 PM   #10
Bronze Member

For that money you can buy my 2012 Roadtrek Popular 190!
https://www.rvt.com/Roadtrek-Popular...26733-UX348270
tomiverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:11 PM   #11
Lou
Platinum Member

We have never had any sparkplug problems.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:44 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiverson View Post
For that money you can buy my 2012 Roadtrek Popular 190!
https://www.rvt.com/Roadtrek-Popular...26733-UX348270
Outside storage?
Very reasonable MPG!
Old 02-21-2020, 01:05 AM   #13

I have a better deal for ya!

2011 Excel TS with 88k Kms, immaculate shape!

$60,000 CAD!
Excelwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:10 AM   #14
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want a B View Post
Outside storage?
Very reasonable MPG!
Yes, stored outside, Florida and NC. I was surprised...it is a big 6.0 liter V8 with plenty of power. So 17+ mpg on regular (89) gas is pretty damn good.
tomiverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #15
Bronze Member

I would love to know who quoted $450. My insurance with progressive jumped from approx. $450 last year to about $650 this year on a 2000 PW. I need to contact them to find out the justification for such an increase. Anyone else had this problem?
ballbraindogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiverson View Post
Yes, stored outside, Florida and NC. I was surprised...it is a big 6.0 liter V8 with plenty of power. So 17+ mpg on regular (89) gas is pretty damn good.
Caught my eye, too. Our 2014 190P gets about the same, almost to the tenth. That’s overall average mpg including some in-town driving and towing a 1600# travel trailer. The 6-speed transmission is pretty good, I think.

Regular is 87 octane in my area. Premium is 91 and mid-grade is 89. We use regular.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbraindogs View Post
I would love to know who quoted $450. My insurance with progressive jumped from approx. $450 last year to about $650 this year on a 2000 PW. I need to contact them to find out the justification for such an increase. Anyone else had this problem?
My Progressive jumped from $515 to $635 in Texas (if that makes a difference). Not as much as yours but still a very big jump. I was getting to leave on a trip so I paid it. Next year I'll be shopping other companies.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I would have to pay Canadian national and province taxes AND Indiana state.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:14 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peder_y2k View Post
The 5.4 engine is the two-piece spark plug. I have it in the '07 Navigator.

2015 RT 210P
Ron J. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote